Vegas Projected Rosters

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Let's take a break from our usual stories. How about we draft our expansion rosters? If you were GM of the Knights, who would you select?

You can conveniently use TSNs simulator: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/draft-simulator

For reference, here's Craig Button's team.

GOALTENDERS (4)
Marc-Andre Fleury (PIT)
Philipp Grubauer (WSH)
Michal Neuvirth (PHI)
Calvin Pickard (COL)

DEFENCE (10)
Jake Dotchin (TBL)
Matt Dumba (MIN)
Tobias Enstrom (WPG)
Brett Kulak (CGY)
Josh Manson (ANA)
Marc Methot (OTT)
Colin Miller (BOS)
Griffin Reinhart (EDM)
Ryan Sproul (DET)
Trevor van Riemsdyk (CHI)

FORWARDS (16)
Josh Anderson (CBJ)
Josh Bailey (NYI)
William Carrier (BUF)
Cody Eakin (DAL)
Nic Dowd (LAK)
Luke Gazdic (NJD)
Michael Grabner (NYR)
Charles Hudon (MTL)
Jonathan Marchessault (FLA)
James Neal (NSH)
Joakim Nordstrom (CAR)
Magnus Paajarvi (STL)
Buddy Robinson (SJS)
Kerby Rychel (TOR)
Jack Skille (VAN)
Radim Vrbata (ARI)

BUTTON�S TEAM: Minimum Forwards (16/14), Defence (10/9), Goalies (4/3), 2017-18 Contracts (21/20), Cap Hit ($44.4M/$43.8M).

How good do you think this team will do? Can you do better? I don't think it's a playoff team, but it's also not that awful. I think there's some great pieces to work with for the future.

Not many people are mocking Mrazek being picked, either. Is that a good thing? Heh. Will you take him from the available goaltenders? I'll have my roster up in a bit. :nod:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Why would you take a 33 year old 1 year left Tobias Enstrom over a 22 year old Marko Dano? I really hope they take Darren Helm.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Probably taken as trade bait.

Yeah, the NHL active roster is 23 players, meaning they are definitely going to target players to flip immediately and get a ton of picks in the draft.

That's why I'm convinced Mrazek is all but gone. Even if they like Fleury/Rantaa or Fleury/Pickard or Fleury/Grubauer better, they can pick Mrazek and flip him for something.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't get why you take Sproul, out of everyone available, but I hope Button's right.

Also, I thought Anaheim had something in place to keep Manson/Vatanen?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Let's take a break from our usual stories. How about we draft our expansion rosters? If you were GM of the Knights, who would you select?

You can conveniently use TSNs simulator: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/assemble-the-knights/draft-simulator

For reference, here's Craig Button's team.

How good do you think this team will do? Can you do better? I don't think it's a playoff team, but it's also not that awful. I think there's some great pieces to work with for the future.

Not many people are mocking Mrazek being picked, either. Is that a good thing? Heh. Will you take him from the available goaltenders? I'll have my roster up in a bit. :nod:
There's already a deal in place that protects Vatanen/Manson no way is Manson playing in Vegas. And if Detroit just loses Sproul that's not a bad thing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don't get why you take Sproul, out of everyone available, but I hope Button's right.

Also, I thought Anaheim had something in place to keep Manson/Vatanen?

I just did a simulation, and it was actually really hard. There are several teams where the options are mediocre at best except for the goaltenders. Detroit was one of the last teams I chose from and I found myself with 4-5 goalies already chosen before deciding between Mrazek, Helm and XO.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
There's already a deal in place that protects Vatanen/Manson no way is Manson playing in Vegas. And if Detroit just loses Sproul that's not a bad thing.

IMO, it is. Worst case scenario is losing a guy who actually has trade value. Second worst is losing a guy on a contract worth peanuts.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I just did a simulation, and it was actually really hard. There are several teams where the options are mediocre at best except for the goaltenders. Detroit was one of the last teams I chose from and I found myself with 4-5 goalies already chosen before deciding between Mrazek, Helm and XO.

Yeah, I mean, everything else aside, I think XO would be the better D pick from Detroit.

I still tend to think Sheahan/Helm make the most sense given the other goalies you can grab, and the far higher trade value for Cs and Ds. I dunno. Maybe I'm just letting wishful thinking take over, regarding Helm.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yeah, I mean, everything else aside, I think XO would be the better D pick from Detroit.

I still tend to think Sheahan/Helm make the most sense given the other goalies you can grab, and the far higher trade value for Cs and Ds. I dunno. Maybe I'm just letting wishful thinking take over, regarding Helm.

I think Sheahan is a wasteland, so I didn't even consider him, but if I'm McPhee, Sheahan and Helm actually aren't bad picks, given the likely outlook of the Vegas roster. The most valuable exposed forwards are almost exclusively wingers - there aren't many exciting center options available. Really the only interesting center choice who isn't a UFA is Marchessault, and I'm not sure he even played top 6 center with Florida.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just waste of time to make these projections, when you don't know those extra deals. Just too big picture to handle.

Would love to be on McPhee's shoes, though. Very special job. Best I could imagine. Regular GM work is pretty boring.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It must be fascinating to be running those scenarios in Vegas. I'd love to take a bunch of guys to then flip for draft picks, but for reach one of those deals, it's less salary you end up with, despite the cap floor being a fixed requirement. That, in turn, would influence the type of player you select from another team.

I would guess that McPhee will prioritize by the best of the trades he has been able to work out, then get the best roster players he can manage, and finish with any cap fillers or other odds and ends. But what a cool gig to have. Wouldn't shock me at all if Vegas ends up looking down at 4-6 teams in the (league) standings in their first year.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Mrazek would be a tough person to select with the intention of flipping him for picks.

He's too well paid to be a full-time back-up and most if not all starting G positions are filled. I doubt there are many takers for goalies on the market right now. They'd probably get more by selecting and flipping Ouellet.

Even though I would have protected him over Howard I think we'll end up with both still on our roster and either Ouellet, Sproul or Sheahan gone to LV.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Mrazek would be a tough person to select with the intention of flipping him for picks.

He's too well paid to be a full-time back-up and most if not all starting G positions are filled. I doubt there are many takers for goalies on the market right now. They'd probably get more by selecting and flipping Ouellet.

Even though I would have protected him over Howard I think we'll end up with both still on our roster and either Ouellet, Sproul or Sheahan gone to LV.

Winnipeg, Arizona, Detroit now lol, Philadelphia, possibly Colorado down the line.

Mrazek to Philadelphia makes some sense. Mrazek is young enough to grow with Arizona too. He has another 10 ****ing years in the league.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Which is bull. Teams should have to live with their protection lists and not squirm out of it dealing picks. And McPhee should know he's unlikely to get as good a player with a pick, unless it's a pretty high pick, than he can by just by plucking him from another team.

Also, I think for our purposes here, we can ignore the rumored deals if we want. Part of the fun in this isn't guessing Vegas' actual picks but coming up with the best team, imo.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Winnipeg, Arizona, Detroit now lol, Philadelphia, possibly Colorado down the line.

Mrazek to Philadelphia makes some sense. Mrazek is young enough to grow with Arizona too. He has another 10 ****ing years in the league.

I doubt Winnipeg will make a move for a goalie like Mrazek. They already have Hellebuyck. They might make a move down the road, but right now I think they'll go with him as their #1 and Hutchinson as their #2 unless a better offer presents itself.

Arizona would be a possibility. I see they traded Smith so that a very viable place for a goalie to be traded.

Philly would be interesting too, especially since they are likely to lose Neuvirth to Vegas.

Either way though Mrazek's stock has fallen off a cliff in the past season and a half and there's a good chance that Vegas goes another direction with the Wings exposed players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Most value in our exposed assets:

1. Mrazek
2. Helm
3. Ouellet
4. Sheahan
5. Ericsson
6. Kronwall
7. Glendening
8. Nosek
9. Coreau
10. Sproul

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I'm just going to stick with my guess of one of Helm/Glendening/Sheahan as Vegas pick from Detroit.

I'm done with the expansion simulators now that the protected lists are public. For me, the fun was actually trying to realistically guess who would be available from each team.

Plus, I have this feeling this will eventually turn into a full fledged Mrazek thread. Something else I'm done with.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I doubt Winnipeg will make a move for a goalie like Mrazek. They already have Hellebuyck. They might make a move down the road, but right now I think they'll go with him as their #1 and Hutchinson as their #2 unless a better offer presents itself.

Arizona would be a possibility. I see they traded Smith so that a very viable place for a goalie to be traded.

Philly would be interesting too, especially since they are likely to lose Neuvirth to Vegas.

Either way though Mrazek's stock has fallen off a cliff in the past season and a half and there's a good chance that Vegas goes another direction with the Wings exposed players.

Mrazek is a better option than Hellenuyck. Hellebuyck's never looked as good as Mrazek at the NHL level. Despite playing in front of a better defense.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I would guess that McPhee will prioritize by the best of the trades he has been able to work out, then get the best roster players he can manage, and finish with any cap fillers or other odds and ends. But what a cool gig to have. Wouldn't shock me at all if Vegas ends up looking down at 4-6 teams in the (league) standings in their first year.

That's my guess. McPhee requires all prospective trades in by today. Many articles I've read from different cities hve LV flipping Fleury to a contender, many mention Philly. I think Holland tried to trade Mrazek but his salary prevented it at this time before the Expansion draft. Heck the Caps couldn't find a trade partner for Grubaur who had a better statistic year than Holtby (smaller sample). If LV feels Mrazek is the 5th best goalie, why take him as the others are more likely to be flip bait. I would take Oellette over Sproul, even McIrath over Sproul if I was LV. Good to have an enforcer on an expansion team as I feel the likelihood that teams try to intimidate them is high.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's my guess. McPhee requires all prospective trades in by today. Many articles I've read from different cities hve LV flipping Fleury to a contender, many mention Philly. I think Holland tried to trade Mrazek but his salary prevented it at this time before the Expansion draft. Heck the Caps couldn't find a trade partner for Grubaur who had a better statistic year than Holtby (smaller sample). If LV feels Mrazek is the 5th best goalie, why take him as the others are more likely to be flip bait. I would take Oellette over Sproul, even McIrath over Sproul if I was LV. Good to have an enforcer on an expansion team as I feel the likelihood that teams try to intimidate them is high.

Philly is a contender? Does MAF's NTC carry with him to Vegas? If so, I'm not sure why he'd waive it again to go to Philly. Also, Dallas is still sitting there with three goalies, and there isn't a bad class of UFA goalies waiting for July to try to beg a job somewhere.

If McPhee is looking to grab a goalie just to flip him this summer, I think he's putting a bad bet down. Maybe when the TDL rolls around, but that means he's carrying a guy for 60 games and has to find roster space and playing time for everyone.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Philly is a contender? Does MAF's NTC carry with him to Vegas? If so, I'm not sure why he'd waive it again to go to Philly. Also, Dallas is still sitting there with three goalies, and there isn't a bad class of UFA goalies waiting for July to try to beg a job somewhere.

If McPhee is looking to grab a goalie just to flip him this summer, I think he's putting a bad bet down. Maybe when the TDL rolls around, but that means he's carrying a guy for 60 games and has to find roster space and playing time for everyone.

I don't think you realize how many teams are unhappy with their goaltending. St. Louis, Winnipeg, LA (Quick may have long-term problems), NYI, Philly (assuming Neuvirth is taken), Buffalo, Arizona, and Vancouver all have big question marks in net. Detroit and Colorado are likewise hanging by a questionable thread as well if Mrazek/Pickard get taken. Ottawa's entire net is risky, due to age and overperformance, respectively.

As for Philly, any brain worth half its salt would anticipate Philly being in a great position going forward. With the diffusion of NHL talent right now, Philly going forward is arguably as much a contender as Ottawa or Anaheim this past season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think you realize how many teams are unhappy with their goaltending. St. Louis, Winnipeg, LA (Quick may have long-term problems), NYI, Philly (assuming Neuvirth is taken), Buffalo, Arizona, and Vancouver all have big question marks in net. Detroit and Colorado are likewise hanging by a questionable thread as well if Mrazek/Pickard get taken. Ottawa's entire net is risky, due to age and overperformance, respectively.

As for Philly, any brain worth half its salt would anticipate Philly being in a great position going forward. With the diffusion of NHL talent right now, Philly going forward is arguably as much a contender as Ottawa or Anaheim this past season.

Philly's blueline is still awful and you're saying they have questionable enough goaltending to view someone like Mrazek as an answer. They might make the playoffs, but they're not serious contenders. You're overstating them, like you're overstating the teams looking for goalies.

The only thing St, Louis would be looking for is a vet with playoff experience to backup Allen. Buffalo is fine with Lehner. I don't think any of the teams you listed are going to be going hot and heavy for a goalie trade because they can just as easily get comparable value from free agency or look to make a trade with one of the other teams, primarily Dallas, who have excess goalies. If anyone spends big on a trade for a goalie they are just misusing their assets.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Mrazek didn't even make top 5 http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/f...ights-could-draft-and-then-use-as-trade-bait/

Mrazek sunk his own value. Nobody wants the worse starting goalie of the 16/17 NHL season for $4 million per year. Hope Mrazek uses this as a wake up call and gets back to work. And works on that atrocious rebound control. As of now, Mrazek should be considered a $4 million per year reclamation project. Nobody is going to trade for that... or even pay for that without Detroit eating some of his salary.

At this point, Sheahan has more trade value than Mrazek... just for the simple fact he's cheaper and is a defensive big-bodied natural centerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad