Post-Game Talk: Vegas I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
I asked before: outside of giving Laf and Kakko more minutes, what has Lavy done different over Turk?

I think Turk actually switched-up defensive pairings, and most of the time it wasn't due to being down a D-man.

Don't get me wrong, I'm wheeling and dealing most of these scrubs but still!

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Break up the bromance, long overdue.
They need either the Zib or the 3rd line to contribute 5 on 5, if you could get both going win win

I don't diasgree, but I just don't know how you formulate the lines with the group we have unless you're simply trying to send a message. Are you really going to mess with the only line worth a shit in order to get a Mika or Kreider to be more productive at even strength? If you drop Mika to 3C that means you're propping up Brodzinski to play with Kreider and Kappo. Or you swap Kreider with Cuylle. Either way I see that as a message being sent and not thinking it diversifies the scoring punch in the lineup.

We need Chytil back. But at the same time I don't want it be a rushed/rash decision for Filip.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Glad i went to bed after the 1st.

I don't diasgree, but I just don't know how you formulate the lines with the group we have unless you're simply trying to send a message. Are you really going to mess with the only line worth a shit in order to get a Mika or Kreider to be more productive at even strength? If you drop Mika to 3C that means you're propping up Brodzinski to play with Kreider and Kappo. Or you swap Kreider with Cuylle. Either way I see that as a message being sent and not thinking it diversifies the scoring punch in the lineup.
Very easy, kreider goes to the 3rd line, Cuylle goes to the 1st. Everything else stays the same.

Reactions: Brutananadilewski

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
This is exactly what they don't do. They don't hit guys cutting to the net because no one cuts to the net. No one also gets shots through. Lindgren is the biggest culprit. Miller too. Schneider and Trouba are OK at it but never have great timing. Fox will continue to play touch passes the forwards.

When other teams cycle on us, the chances inevitably are slot chances or net front chances. When we cycle, our chances are often more to the sides of the net from mid distance.
Other teams get these slot chances because we either have failed to cover the slot or we vacate it to go towards the guy with the puck creating a glorious chance.

Other teams don’t do that. They sit content in the box and keep us to the outside. It’s like we’re so stupid that we think other teams are gonna play the same way and they rarely ever make that mistake.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
More and more I think the NHL should award three points, rather than two, for a win, have one point for a shootout win and zero points for any loss. That might encourage more consistency.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Other teams get these slot chances because we either have failed to cover the slot or we vacate it to go towards the guy with the puck creating a glorious chance.

Other teams don’t do that. They sit content in the box and keep us to the outside. It’s like we’re so stupid that we think other teams are gonna play the same way and they rarely ever make that mistake.
And we help them out by rarely going inside

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
stopped watching with intent after the 1st GA. It was a back breaker.

Same shit... Can't finish... Giving up odd man breaks... Pucks leaking through Igor...

Trouba and Lindgren kill our top4.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Losing faith in the coaching staff....

Defending in the NZ, off the rush and in the slot has been dog shit. MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT. It's been the same all season. It's not working. If it's not altered post ASB, we're done for.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I'd never seen more buzzing that produced nothing. It was the equivalent of a bunch of bees swarming but not actually not stinging. They love to circle around but never can get the puck into the middle on a steady basis. The defensemen and the forwards cross a lot but do you ever see someone launch a cannon from the top? Hardly anyone knows how to shoot or tee up a shot. All that passing and no one is open still. Shooting lanes remain covered and our players love taking the outside instead of going inside post. Good teams will give you the outside all night long and just hang on and wait for you to tire yourself out. Vegas just boxed up and their goalie made a few good saves but didn't need to be great with the exception of Laf's tuck in attempt from almost behind the goal line. But even that attempt was like most of this team's attempts -- a soft passive try at sneaking it past the goalie. I'd love to see Laf crash the net and try to stick one through.

I mean, visually, it was right up there with the Mona Lisa.

This is accurate. We can look at the advanced stats and the "Deserve-to-Win-o-Meter" and say we played well and got poor goaltending. But if you were watching the game, you see that the Rangers were not playing like a team that deserved to win anything after the first 10 minutes. After Vegas got the lead, they were content to keep us to the outside and let us rack up long distance CF and low danger scoring chances. And we let them do it by not challenging them inside. I bailed on this game after the 2nd. The team looked great through 10 minutes. Minutes 11-40 were bad team play. Goaltending was poor throughout the game.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
More and more I think the NHL should award three points, rather than two, for a win, have one point for a shootout win and zero points for any loss. That might encourage more consistency.
The FPHL does something similar to this.

Regulation or overtime win: 3 points.
Overtime or shootout win: 2 points.
Overtime or shootout loss: 1 point.

I like it a lot better, even if the maths are more confusing.

The only thing I'd change is letting an overtime win also be worth 3 points, while still awarding a loser point.

Reactions: CasusBelli

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Glad i went to bed after the 1st.

Very easy, kreider goes to the 3rd line, Cuylle goes to the 1st. Everything else stays the same.
No. Cyulle has to do it the Rangers way. He has to toil away on Bonino's wing for 3 to 4 seasons and then get traded after being called a bust because he didn't turn into a 30 goal 90 point player from the 3rd line with 12 minutes of ice time and no special teams.

C'mon man.

hella rights

Oct 9, 2006

The defense in particular lately is regressing to how they looked last year, getting quickly confused under forecheck pressure and leaving guys wide open in the slot. I thought one of the biggest improvements they made early this season was playing more cohesive defense, zone exits even looked much better, don’t know what happened.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Maybe it'll take Philadelphia to overtake us in the standings to wake this team up. I don't know. Any adjustments to the lineup by Laviolette I welcome. Make them uncomfortable. Limit TOI. Discipline them. Do something other than let a young AHL call up ride pine because you're chasing the game from the 1st period on.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Even in his better games, Igor still fights the puck on easy saves, doesn't swallow pucks and gives up juicy rebounds etc. He can still use his athleticism to make the huge save, but on straight on me vs you rips he's absolutely out of his league this year man oh man. Yes, it's deflating for a team that's had difficulty scoring when the other goalie makes nice save after nice save and your goalie gives up softies regularly.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Game would have been won if they scored 2 in the first 10 minutes like they should have. They didn't, Vegas was then destined to get an easy one off the rush (not a "hardworking" goal), which instantly puts NYR on their heels for the rest of the game chasing, which they absolutely suck at this year. There is no room for error at all unless they are playing the absolute bottom feeder teams.

Two years ago we were never out of games, would come back in the 3rd constantly. We go down a goal lately, game is over no matter how much time is left.

Manage your expectations; we will be the underdog in any playoff series regardless of seed. Will make the elimination sting less.

EEL

Sep 18, 2008
HHI
Maybe it'll take Philadelphia to overtake us in the standings to wake this team up. I don't know. Any adjustments to the lineup by Laviolette I welcome. Make them uncomfortable. Limit TOI. Discipline them. Do something other than let a young AHL call up ride pine because you're chasing the game from the 1st period on.
Call up some hungry worker BEES!!!!

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
The defense in particular lately is regressing to how they looked last year, getting quickly confused under forecheck pressure and leaving guys wide open in the slot. I thought one of the biggest improvements they made early this season was playing more cohesive defense, zone exits even looked much better, don’t know what happened.
Yeah I seriously don’t get it either. @effen has commented on it being a commitment/“wanting” to do it and I agree

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

This is a good comment. Rangers coverage in the D zone is wacky. So many goals against come from in front while our guys are chasing at the boards or some other place. Every game you see these little goalfront 2-on-1s against develop out of nowhere because our players basically misread the play or made a bad decision. It's like our guys don't fully understand hockey. I wonder whether coaching will help this or what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordon Bombay

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
This is so true. It was so good to watch them PLAY RIGHT FOR ONCE in the beginning of the year. Now it's back to the same stupid s***. What is it??

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
This is a good comment. Rangers coverage in the D zone is wacky. So many goals against come from in front while our guys are chasing at the boards or some other place. Every game you see these little goalfront 2-on-1s against develop out of nowhere because our players basically misread the play or made a bad decision. It's like our guys don't fully understand hockey. I wonder whether coaching will help this or what it is.
It reminds me of playing NHL 16 or whatever and someone is just chasing whoever has the puck and you just keep passing it back to the open guy in the slot.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad