Vegas Golden Knights Defeat LA Kings 4-0 and Advance to Western Conference Semi Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Good for Vegas. Nothing against them, it's like a movie from major league, or slap shot. A bunch of cast aways playing with a chip on their shoulder.
Amazing.

From a nhl standpoint it's insulting and a joke that a team can enter the league in year one as a dominate team like this. Teams like buffalo, Arizona, Carolina ect who suffered for so long and had to work to be relevant. Just doesn't seem fair or ethically correct.

You know?

Nothing against Vegas. It's not their fault and they should be acknowledged for their accomplishments this year

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Good for Vegas. Nothing against them, it's like a movie from major league, or slap shot. A bunch of cast aways playing with a chip on their shoulder.
Amazing.

From a nhl standpoint it's insulting and a joke that a team can enter the league in year one as a dominate team like this. Teams like buffalo, Arizona, Carolina ect who suffered for so long and had to work to be relevant. Just doesn't seem fair or ethically correct.

You know?

Nothing against Vegas. It's not their fault and they should be acknowledged for their accomplishments this year

Ethically? What's unethical about allowing a team that built itself well under the conditions given to it to be well coached enough to win? How is it unethical if Buffalo, Arizona, and Carolina just aren't well run/coached enough? How is that Vegas or the league's fault? You give Vegas this credit as though it gives you some argument armor but the whole point is that McPhee and his group were meticulous in their analysis of the expansion draft pool and they picked an excellent head coach. A head coach that struggling teams had access to when he got fired. This kind of close attention isn't the norm, hence why we see some teams struggle. There were few who believed this team would be a playoff team and fewer still who think Vegas chose the best players available.

Saying Vegas should be acknowledged isn't enough. The people in charge of running this team carefully analyzed the state of the league and the available players and found a way to be a winner. They deserve their accomplishments.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I haven't seen many teams execute a system with such proficiency. They rarely break out of their system (only once while protecting the lead last night, late) and they rarely make mistakes, or ill-advised forced plays that usually lead to turnovers. Kudos to McPhee for identifying the kind of players he wanted, Gallant for guiding them to execute his system, and the players for consistently executing.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ethically? What's unethical about allowing a team that built itself well under the conditions given to it to be well coached enough to win? How is it unethical if Buffalo, Arizona, and Carolina just aren't well run/coached enough? How is that Vegas or the league's fault? You give Vegas this credit as though it gives you some argument armor but the whole point is that McPhee and his group were meticulous in their analysis of the expansion draft pool and they picked an excellent head coach. A head coach that struggling teams had access to when he got fired. This kind of close attention isn't the norm, hence why we see some teams struggle. There were few who believed this team would be a playoff team and fewer still who think Vegas chose the best players available.

Saying Vegas should be acknowledged isn't enough. The people in charge of running this team carefully analyzed the state of the league and the available players and found a way to be a winner. They deserve their accomplishments.

Bravo. Excellent post.

I was one of the people who absolutely questioned what McPhee was doing but what an amazing job he has done building this team. I also believe the results that the Golden Knights have earned further enforce the fact that talent isn't everything. If you have a coach that is self aware and allows his players to play to their strengths, this is the result you get. Gallant does what a fair amount of NHL coaches don't do (AV for example), instead of forcing his system on the players, he modifies his strategy around the players he has available.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for Vegas. I'm a bit meh on their success given the expectations of what an expansion team should be. Still it's a good story of a team that has come together and played way beyond anyone's expectations.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Vegas owner said before their goal was to win cup 4 seasons from now

lololololololol

He'll probably have 4 by then.

Reactions: GreeningOil

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Bravo. Excellent post.

I was one of the people who absolutely questioned what McPhee was doing but what an amazing job he has done building this team. I also believe the results that the Golden Knights have earned further enforce the fact that talent isn't everything. If you have a coach that is self aware and allows his players to play to their strengths, this is the result you get. Gallant does what a fair amount of NHL coaches don't do (AV for example), instead of forcing his system on the players, he modifies his strategy around the players he has available.
Part of Gallant's strategy is, yes, building the strategy around the players he had. But what stuck me almost immediately about this team was that he had them playing a blended mix of the LA/NSH style of overwhelming high pressure defense with the fast skating offensive style of Pittsburgh. And I think it was executed really well.

People have slept on VGK's defensive ability all year long but I think more have seen what they can do with this playoff series.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I had the Knights winning 15 games going into the season...When they win the cup they will beat that in the playoffs alone

Guess I'm an idiot...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Amazing.

You know?

My problem with this line of thinking is that the consensus thought at the time of the expansion draft seemed to be that Vegas would not have significant offensive talent available to them.

James Neal was seen as the cream of the crop. Nobody had predicted that Karlsson would breakout as a Rocket Richard/Hart contender, or that Haula would double his goal and point totals.

If Columbus had known Karlsson would do that, he wouldn't be on Vegas right now. So either VGK earned what they have now through exceptional pro scouting, or they were very luck, maybe both. Not that their success necessarily is from the expansion draft rules being too favourable.

This was the first expansion draft we've seen in the cap era. Vegas was really lucky in terms of timing. Had this draft happened 1 season earlier, they probably do not get MAF along with a 2nd round pick for taking him, FLA doesn't slash their budget and as a result they don't have the side deal to take Reilly Smith's contract after he's coming off of a bad year.

The way I see it, everything went right. To say Vegas created what they did just because of favourable expansion rules takes too much away from what they accomplished building the team they did. I think with Vegas, it was a combination of a lot of lucky scenarios playing out at the right time, but also a management group who did an exceptional job within the framework of the expansion draft, a pro scouting staff who either were very luck or killed it uncovering some hidden gems, and an excellent coaching hire.

When the second expansion team roles around, people will see that it wasn't just the expansion draft rules that resulted in Vegas' rise to prominence.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Doughty said after a reg season loss to Vegas "Guarenteed by the end of the season we're going to be around longer then them"

Or very similar. Lolololol

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Part of Gallant's strategy is, yes, building the strategy around the players he had. But what stuck me almost immediately about this team was that he had them playing a blended mix of the LA/NSH style of overwhelming high pressure defense with the fast skating offensive style of Pittsburgh. And I think it was executed really well.

People have slept on VGK's defensive ability all year long but I think more have seen what they can do with this playoff series.

and its not just from the back end. They were STIFLING the kings in the neutral zone with quick forechecks and smart sticks for like 10 of the last 15 minutes of the third. As the kings had to keep their best players out there to get gassed, the knights rolled line after line of fresh guys all committed to the same thing, pressure players in the defensive zone and either totally pressure guys in the neutral zone or smart sticks that disrupted passes.

As a fan of a team that when up always tries to play kitty bar the door ( which causes me much consternation) I was watching in awe how fast the knights were on pucks so freaking far away from their net. I was so envious.

When the kings got through ( the Kopitar all over the ice rush) MAF did what he needed to do and they didn't have to resort to gain possession, dump it and try to milk the clock.

Its surprising that the kinds only scored three goals until you see how well defensively balanced the knights are. Throw in a goalie going super nova, that's a tough team to beat for anyone.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Da4rOa5UQAAbe1b.jpg

#NeverForget #NeverStopClapping
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

His talking won him a Norris aka Due Doughty. Toronto writers couldn't save him this time, as hockey is played on ice and LA was shutdown. Congrats to Vegas on the sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad