Vegas Golden Knights Defeat LA Kings 4-0 and Advance to Western Conference Semi Finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You two appear to be arguing two different things. You're talking more about Doughty's shift to shift contributions, and you're right that his play was very good and very valuable. He seems to be talking more about Doughty's discipline, and I agree with him, too, that Doughty's shortage of that was a negative. He got frustrated in Game 1 and went for a big hit that led to him missing a game. When he returned in Game 3, his clapping act with seconds left in the 2nd period might've motivated the Knights during the intermission and contributed to them playing much, much better in the 3rd period. Add his quotes in between games and the series was largely about him, not the team, which was probably somewhat distracting for his teammates who desperately needed to focus on on-ice issues. Basically, his individual performance was terrific, as usual, but might've negated much of that benefit to his team by costing it in other ways.

He quite literally said "he didn't play well." Re: the discipline that's debatable and a lot of conjecture/supposition, but I'd concede if it were just that.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
One can look at stats and say "well, the Kings had more possesson when Doughty was on the ice, so I guess he played good", or one can look at reality and say "did Doughty do anything to help his team win...or even score?" No. "Did Doughty do things that were selfish...that hurt his team...in every game?" Yes.
When you get swept 4-0, shut out twice and score only 3 goals, its hard to argue that you francise player played well. Sorry, but a player like Doughty has to keep his shet together, and he simply couldn't do that.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
One can look at stats and say "well, the Kings had more possesson when Doughty was on the ice, so I guess he played good", or one can look at reality and say "did Doughty do anything to help his team win...or even score?" No. "Did Doughty do things that were selfish...that hurt his team...in every game?" Yes.
When you get swept 4-0, shut out twice and score only 3 goals, its hard to argue that you francise player played well. Sorry, but a player like Doughty has to keep his shet together, and he simply couldn't do that.

Massively. massively. It's not even debatable that he played well.

For example if these were teams, the Kings with Doughty on-ice in Game 1 were literally 5% better than the best regular season CF% team in the league; with other pairing d-men on the ice, they were 10% worse than the WORST regular season CF% team in the league. That's not a "oh, they're slightly better with him on the ice so I guess he played good;" that's stats that overwhelmingly support what we actually saw, the Kings were in the games when he was on the ice, they were holding on for dear life when he wasn't. We're talking about a 35% spread. And again, that's WITH the most minutes of either team by 5, with the toughest matchups, with the toughest starts.

If you can use conjecture and speculation to project that he hurt his team, surely you can use concrete stats and watching to know he helped the team.

The end.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Haha, yeah, you just keep those advanced stats. I’ll watch hockey.
Btw, Fleury’s stats were much better than Quicks, yet you disregard those altogether.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He quite literally said "he didn't play well." Re: the discipline that's debatable and a lot of conjecture/supposition, but I'd concede if it were just that.

I was trying to point out that your definitions of "play well" just seem to be different. You're looking more at ice time, usage and underlying stats and he's looking more at the overall results. I don't think that they're mutually exclusive, though, and that you're both fighting over something that you don't need to, because you could both see it from the other's perspective or at least agree to disagree. I was trying to play peacemaker, but keep fighting if you both want to ;).

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Haha, yeah, you just keep those advanced stats. I’ll watch hockey.
Btw, Fleury’s stats were much better than Quicks, yet you disregard those altogether.

When did I do that? Fleury was phenomenal. Sounds like a red herring frankly. I've given him nothing but praise.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
You know, I went back and watched the final 7 min from the pp on from last night and boy did Steven f*** up the icetime for the team. Starts the 2nd unit on the pp, then after the 2nd clear should've changed up, but didn't. They were out there 1:15 and didn't get the top unit out there and into the zone until 25 seconds left. Why not call time out before the pp, rest the top unit who had only been out before the penalty for 25 seconds? There was no time left to do anything once they got out there.

Then they're out there for 1:30, 2nd unit goes out for a minute, then the first unit is right back out. They were out there every other shift and as Ray Farraro put it , "these guys are just gases". He ran the top line right into the ground with the 2nd/3rd unit seeing only 2 very short shifts. The final 2 minutes had the top line out there and they had nothing left.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I had the Knights winning 15 games going into the season...When they win the cup they will beat that in the playoffs alone

Guess I'm an idiot...

Honestly I think it's respectable that you're copping to how wrong you were. I've noticed some posters that I knew were making big predictions of failure who are now complaining about how unfair and rigged the expansion draft was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad