Pre-Game Talk: Vegas Expansion draft talk (FLA protects: 11-16-21-27/3-5-6-13/34)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Other options we haven't discussed much are going after Oshie/Radulov in free agency. With smith off the books and not having to re-sign marchessault next year, we should be able to overpay one of those guys a little.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Other options we haven't discussed much are going after Oshie/Radulov in free agency. With smith off the books and not having to re-sign marchessault next year, we should be able to overpay one of those guys a little.

Oshie will be 6-7mill+ long term. No thanks.

Radulov is not worth what he's currently asking either.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
So much crazy speculation flying around. Honestly can't wait to see what happens. With our lack of depth right now, I don't see how losing March, Smith and/or Demers will be a positive though. We will need NHL proven asset(s) coming back our way in some fashion. We can't afford to be taking those types of steps back at this point. I have faith in Tallon though.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

Exactly. And Jussi/Jagr monies ending by next year or even this summer. That's $7.5-8 mil off the books too. Sure, some has to go to Ekblad's but there was buffer zone already at cap ceiling. Guys like Borgstrom, Hawrylyk and Mascherin wing players will be much cheaper : than Jagr, Jussi, R Smith and Marchys.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Jimmy Murphy on Twitter says we'd be trending towards being a cap floor team again if we were to move guys like Smith and Demers.....

Which means we're likely to be acquiring picks/prospects if any of these moves come to fruition.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
We may only lose one player in the expansion draft but it doesn't mean guys won't be in play or moved. The fact that March and Smith were exposed means Tallon isn't that high on them and you even said yourself you're not a fan of the protected list.

The expansion protected list is the first big decision with our new management and people here have the right to be concerned when top 6 wingers are exposed instead of bottom pair d-men and a center who is expensive and had a disastrous season.

As has been stated, every team fundamentally only loses one player. Everything beyond that is deal making.

Why do so many people here automatically assume that whatever deal making might be going on, that DT is going to be on the losing end? That he's no longer capable of understanding basic math and player capabilities? That it must be that he's totally lost it? Even though he said that it's all going to be explained.

Furthermore, why do people suddenly think that there aren't better wingers than Smith and March available? Neal, Oshie, Ryan, Kovy, and a bunch of others?

Calm down folks. If anything, you should be excited that March was exposed and Tallon said "I'll explain it". To me this means he's got more than a nice rabbit in his hat.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
As has been stated, every team fundamentally only loses one player. Everything beyond that is deal making.

Why do so many people here automatically assume that whatever deal making might be going on, that DT is going to be on the losing end? That he's no longer capable of understanding basic math and player capabilities? That it must be that he's totally lost it? Even though he said that it's all going to be explained.

Furthermore, why do people suddenly think that there aren't better wingers than Smith and March available? Neal, Oshie, Ryan, Kovy, and a bunch of others?

Calm down folks. If anything, you should be excited that March was exposed and Tallon said "I'll explain it". To me this means he's got more than a nice rabbit in his hat.

Maybe. People are going off available info. You're speculating just as much as we are except we now know what Tallon thinks of guys like Bjugstad and Petro ("His guys")

They may be better but you think we're the only team interested? You think Oshie is going to make sense at 6-7+mill long term?

We have a weakness on the wings and scoring overall so people should rightly be concerned that he protected Bjugstad and a bottom pair d-man over a guy who scored 30 last year on an incredible contract and a legit top 6 winger. The net gain of adding "better wingers" may not be that much if we lose March and Smith. I'd like to add a better winger to our lineup with March and Smith.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Oshie will be 6-7mill+ long term. No thanks.

Radulov is not worth what he's currently asking either.

But with Smith's 5 mil longterm gone, it wouldn't be that bad. Plus the salary cap is going up 2 million dollars next year. I understand term is an issue, but we can always trade them to Arizona in a couple years if necessary ;)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Maybe. People are going off available info. You're speculating just as much as we are except we now know what Tallon thinks of guys like Bjugstad and Petro ("His guys")

They may be better but you think we're the only team interested? You think Oshie is going to make sense at 6-7+mill long term?

We have a weakness on the wings and scoring overall so people should rightly be concerned that he protected Bjugstad and a bottom pair d-man over a guy who scored 30 last year on an incredible contract and a legit top 6 winger. The net gain of adding "better wingers" may not be that much if we lose March and Smith. I'd like to add a better winger to our lineup with March and Smith.

I agree that protecting Bjugstad over March, if that's all that it was and there are no deals, and Vegas end up picking March, is a real leap of faith.

But I'm not ready to jump on the "Tallon's boys" theory. DT is a professional in a volatile business where his success is defined by on-ice results and not loyalties, and I doubt he doesn't understand that particular fact better than anyone who posts here.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Hello again old friend Dadanov

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad