Pre-Game Talk: Vegas Expansion draft talk (FLA protects: 11-16-21-27/3-5-6-13/34)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Just depends if it's: "Here, you can have Marchessault if you also take our bad contract" or if it's "We'll give you both Marchessault and Smith if you take player X for us.."

It's quite a bit to give up given our offensive woes. Better be a damn good return

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
wall of Bob tweets
I still don't get why we're purposedly trying to get rid of Smith; who isn't that overpaid, is our top defensive winger and fourth best forward after Barkov/Huberdeau/Trocheck.

I hate to bring it up, but is the ownership having a change of heart and going cheap? Trying to get rid of Smith and Demers?

Everybody was crying for a deal with Vegas to be made...

Yet when Bob confirms it (without knowing the look of it), this board is still going mad.

So funny ! :)
Well I doubt anyone here was hoping that we're looking to get rid of two of our top wingers. One is bad enough, but two?

The rabbit Tallon is pulling from the hat better be good.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I can't see who would be worth losing March and Smith for unless there's someone Tallon really likes in the draft at #6....

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I still don't get why we're purposedly trying to get rid of Smith; who isn't that overpaid, is our top defensive winger and fourth best forward after Barkov/Huberdeau/Trocheck.

I hate to bring it up, but is the ownership having a change of heart and going cheap? Trying to get rid of Smith and Demers?

Well I doubt anyone here was hoping that we're looking to get rid of two of our top wingers. One is bad enough, but two?

The rabbit Tallon is pulling from the hat better be good.

Get rid ? How do you know we got rid of our players ?

How do you know Bob is right about the potential deal ?... He confirmed we have a deal, but to me seems to be speculating a lot on it... Yet everybody takes it for granted that we are going to give up JAM and Smith AND get fleeced !

It's ridiculous. :shakehead

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Guess we have to see what the return would be because this seems a little too bold

Neal followed by Dadonov signing(is Florida after him?).

But it's difficult to see Tallon have a huge advantage if Marchessault was available on saturday for other teams.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Maybe it's, we'll give you March if you also take Demers. Then send Smith to VGK for a guy like James Neal or Bobby Ryan. Use the freed up money if it's Neal to sign Kovy after we trade for his rights and promote McCoshen/Weegar to third pair.

In Neal, Kovy
Out March, Smith, Demers

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Neal followed by Dadonov signing(is Florida after him?).

But it's difficult to see Tallon have a huge advantage if Marchessault was available on saturday for other teams.

Possibly, haven't heard any interest outside of Kovy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Possibly, haven't heard any interest outside of Kovy

With the way things are shaping Tallon has to pull a move for top6W without losing assets from the KHL market.

It would be crazy to see Jokinen as the 2nd best W for Florida after today.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I can't see who would be worth losing March and Smith for unless there's someone Tallon really likes in the draft at #6....
It has to be a player (or players), no chance Vegas moves that pick unless they're trading up. They know they're building for the future through the draft, very few of the players they acquire today are going to still be there 5 years from now.

Get rid ? How do you know we got rid of our players ?
Well if what Bob reported is true, it wouldn't be a pure "get rid" deal. To trade March and Smith, there has to be some value coming back our way.

I more of meant that why does it look like management is trying to trade Smith for the sake of trading him, when we should keep him and add players.

How do you know Bob is right about the potential deal ?... He confirmed we have a deal, but to me seems to be speculating a lot on it... Yet everybody takes it for granted that we are going to give up JAM and Smith AND get fleeced !

It's ridiculous. :shakehead
I don't and I haven't insinuated that what Bob says is the undeniable truth? Nor has anyone else for that matter?

I see posters confused as to what would make a deal like this worthwhile from the Panthers viewpoint, if a deal like what Bob suggested happens.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
With the way things are shaping Tallon has to pull a move for top6W without losing assets from the KHL market.

It would be crazy to see Jokinen as the 2nd best W for Florida after today.

Yeah, I think the holes would be so obvious on the wing that Tallon would have to be a fool to not have a plan in place to fill them if he does move March and Smith.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
It has to be a player (or players), no chance Vegas moves that pick unless they're trading up. They know they're building for the future through the draft, very few of the players they acquire today are going to still be there 5 years from now.

Well if what Bob reported is true, it wouldn't be a pure "get rid" deal. To trade March and Smith, there has to be some value coming back our way.

I more of meant that why does it look like management is trying to trade Smith for the sake of trading him, when we should keep him and add players.

I don't and I haven't insinuated that what Bob says is the undeniable truth? Nor has anyone else for that matter?

I see posters confused as to what would make a deal like this worthwhile from the Panthers viewpoint, if a deal like what Bob suggested happens.

Posters have insinuated we are doomed since our protect-list has came out...

And I'm not a fan of protecting Bjugstad, but saying Tallon has lost it because of his protection list or that we won't score next year when we're still in June... I find it funny and depressing.

Fans around here like the roller-coaster of emotions... I've always said myself "never too high, never too low", but we don't get that much nuance anymore.

Swede93

Sep 14, 2009
Maybe it's, we'll give you March if you also take Demers. Then send Smith to VGK for a guy like James Neal or Bobby Ryan. Use the freed up money if it's Neal to sign Kovy after we trade for his rights and promote McCoshen/Weegar to third pair.

In Neal, Kovy
Out March, Smith, Demers

This. Hope it's this.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

And I'm not a fan of protecting Bjugstad, but saying Tallon has lost it because of his protection list or that we won't score next year when we're still in June... I find it funny and depressing.

Fans around here like the roller-coaster of emotions... I've always said myself "never too high, never too low", but we don't get that much nuance anymore.

I think they have a point.

30 goal scorer vs Petrovic(teams #6). Why protect Petrovic when the team is screaming for more offense and risk having one of the worst W groups in the entire league after today.

The league is getting faster and Florida would have to use Jokinen& Jagr in roles they shouldn't be anymore at this point of their careers.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Okay, tell me how the prospect of losing Smith AND Marchesseault isn't worrying?
If it happens, there has to be a winger coming back... I think. I hate the idea that they would be relying merely on free agency/future trade, because what if that doesn't work out? Those holes in our roster would just get that more massive.
Hopefully Tallon has a plan, but the weird protection choices and those tweets (+that press conference tomorrow?) haven't exactly put me at ease.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Just don't see how the team soured on Smith so fast. Sure, his point total was lower, but it's not like he was just floating out there. He, and Bjugstad, were the offense in that playoff series.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Okay, tell me how the prospect of losing Smith AND Marchesseault isn't worrying?
If it happens, there has to be a winger coming back... I think. I hate the idea that they would be relying merely on free agency/future trade, because what if that doesn't work out? Those holes in our roster would just get that more massive.
Hopefully Tallon has a plan, but the weird protection choices and those tweets (+that press conference tomorrow?) haven't exactly put me at ease.

Because I'm not thinking we ain't getting something of value-back for this package, if this package it is, for now we only know we have a deal in place with LV, all the rest is speculations... That's what we know ! So we can speculate all we want... Facts will be facts when it's done, and then people can complain or express their opinions. But right now, the LARGE part of speculating from posters isn't doing the Panthers any good, neither to our mental-sanity.

People are acting like Dale just want to throw the team-away, or that he doesn't know a thing about hockey !

Michael Grabner-circa all over again IMO.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Because I'm not thinking we ain't getting something of value-back for this package, if this package it is, for now we only know we have a deal in place with LV, all the rest is speculations... That's what we know ! So we can speculate all we want... Facts will be facts when it's done, and then people can complain or express their opinions. But right now, the LARGE part of speculating from posters isn't doing the Panthers any good, neither to our mental-sanity.

People are acting like Dale just want to throw the team-away, or that he doesn't know a thing about hockey !

Michael Grabner-circa all over again IMO.

To be fair, until we know what we're getting back, it's not unreasonable to be worried given who was protected and who was not. Losing March and Smith would be substantial losses and it's not easy to upgrade those two spots or even make a lateral move to replace them. I have trouble believing from a cap space/value standpoint that we can spend 6 million in cap space to replace their combined production.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Just don't see how the team soured on Smith so fast. Sure, his point total was lower, but it's not like he was just floating out there.

Don't see it either. He still has positive value. I bet there is a lot of wheeling and dealing going on atm with LV and that's why there are a lot rumors.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I'm glad my Rockies have got me preoccupied or else I'd be riding this Panthers rollercoaster a little too much right now.

-ghoste

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Wayyyyyyyy too many moving parts for me to even try to make sense of this... but the team was such a mess last year I think change is good.. also I doubt it's kovy Neal.. getting younger and faster and grittier seems to be the m.o

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
To be fair, until we know what we're getting back, it's not unreasonable to be worried given who was protected and who was not. Losing March and Smith would be substantial losses and it's not easy to upgrade those two spots or even make a lateral move to replace them. I have trouble believing from a cap space/value standpoint that we can spend 6 million in cap space to replace their combined production.

To be fair, you know we will only lose ONE player to the expansion draft... And I'm with you, I'm not a fan of our protected list, but between not being of fan of possibly losing Smith or Marchessault to expansion, and believing we will lose TWO of them, and not be able to get value out of it... That's being blind and negative IMO.

I'll be laughing so hard when LV ends up picking Demers... What's funny around here, we are starting to believe canadian medias who always look to make us the worst and laughing stock of the League (we did try hard enough as an organization some times), and we will be the only team who will be hurt by the expansion draft... All I see on TV around here is how we're gonna lose Marchessault or Demers, and how our management is the worse... It's getting tiresome !

And I see this attitude on our board, and I think it's depressing... I know that management didn't do the best things the last year, but now that we are on somekind of new dynamic, all we get is how stupid we are to not protect Marchessault... Guess the Lightning and the whole League are as dumb as us because the guy signed a cheap two-year deal with us on the first day of free-agency last year... And now we ain't protecting him, and it seems worse than selecting Crouse or trading Crouse... :shakehead

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
To be fair, you know we will only lose ONE player to the expansion draft... And I'm with you, I'm not a fan of our protected list, but between not being of fan of possibly losing Smith or Marchessault to expansion, and believing we will lose TWO of them, and not be able to get value out of it... That's being blind and negative IMO.

I'll be laughing so hard when LV ends up picking Demers... What's funny around here, we are starting to believe canadian medias who always look to make us the worst and laughing stock of the League (we did try hard enough as an organization some times), and we will be the only team who will be hurt by the expansion draft... All I see on TV around here is how we're gonna lose Marchessault or Demers, and how our management is the worse... It's getting tiresome !

And I see this attitude on our board, and I think it's depressing... I know that management didn't do the best things the last year, but now that we are on somekind of new dynamic, all we get is how stupid we are to not protect Marchessault... Guess the Lightning and the whole League are as dumb as us because the guy signed a cheap two-year deal with us on the first day of free-agency last year... And now we ain't protecting him, and it seems worse than selecting Crouse or trading Crouse... :shakehead

We may only lose one player in the expansion draft but it doesn't mean guys won't be in play or moved. The fact that March and Smith were exposed means Tallon isn't that high on them and you even said yourself you're not a fan of the protected list.

The expansion protected list is the first big decision with our new management and people here have the right to be concerned when top 6 wingers are exposed instead of bottom pair d-men and a center who is expensive and had a disastrous season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad