Helene St. James Vanek Wants To Come Back

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Put him next to a real 1st or second line center with vision and hands and he is still a 70+ pt guy.

Over 70 points? He's only done that twice in his career: 2011 and 2007. He'll turn 34 this year, I don't think he's reverting back to 10 years ago. And it's why his trade value wasn't as much as we hoped at the deadline. And why he wasn't signed on July 1st like all the other desirable free agents.

And I love that HSJ uses "kicked tires" in the article. Who else uses that phrase all the time, hmmm.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Svech as the first call-up. Seems fine to me.

Not sure how Bertuzzi makes the team out of camp with this cap situation and I highly doubt Sheahan is a healthy scratch considering he didn't score a goal until game 82 last year and was never close to being sat.

Seems like Bert and Svech will be in GR for a while to start the season and might get a few call ups.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Signing Vanek would mean Bertuzzi starts in GR. Sheahan wouldn't get benched over Bertuzzi. And Bertuzzi wouldn't be on the team if he was going to be a press box guy.

But I wouldn't hate Vanek on a cheap deal and Bert starting in GR. I've always liked Vanek. Bertuzzi is a notoriously slow starter. Just not sure this type of move really makes sense with where this team finds itself. And Vanek was barely moveable for an asset last year at the TDL, and given how poorly he did for Florida, not sure we could expect to move him at the deadline again.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Much rather have Sheahan playing to possibly spike his trade value, or become a decent player for us than give Vanek a 1 deal which will result in absolute nothing.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Over 70 points? He's only done that twice in his career: 2011 and 2007. He'll turn 34 this year, I don't think he's reverting back to 10 years ago. And it's why his trade value wasn't as much as we hoped at the deadline. And why he wasn't signed on July 1st like all the other desirable free agents.

And I love that HSJ uses "kicked tires" in the article. Who else uses that phrase all the time, hmmm.

For the sake of discussion. He puts up 48 playing with what would be a third line center , on any contending team. Excluding Taveres on the Island, where they were the hottest line in the NHL fyi, and Drury / Briere for short stints early in his career, when has the guy ever been matched with a 1st line offensive center with his skill sets? Not in Buffalo, Minn, they did not have one (they had one great defensive center), not Montreal for sure, not Florida , not here. I would have had him playing with Z last year. IMO he made Helmn, Gus and AA better.What is market for a 50 pt winger? If it were me I wait , sign for 3-4 with a contender or take a one year 2.5 deal with incentives to play with a center with my skill sets . Those numbers then set the table for the following years. I think if he played with Z for 80+ games he would have easily put up 70. IMO he is still a top 6 guy at 34. He does not fit here with the ten year rebuild coming and all the salary anchors in the cap

Last edited:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Tatar-Z-Mantha
Nyquist-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Helm-Vanek
Bert-Glendening-Abby
Witkowski, Sheahan

Seems terrible.
Larkin needs to play center and only center... as evidenced by his World Cup performance.
Bert needs to play atleast 3rd line if he sticks.
Give Sheahan a chance to start the season, before we assume he will be terrible again.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not sure how Bertuzzi makes the team out of camp with this cap situation and I highly doubt Sheahan is a healthy scratch considering he didn't score a goal until game 82 last year and was never close to being sat.

Seems like Bert and Svech will be in GR for a while to start the season and might get a few call ups.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but Sheahan was scratched at one point last season(Dallas), other than that I agree. No way is he slotted in as a healthy scratch on October 5th.

I'm also not in on Vanek, even a 1 year deal.(assuming no trades)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

In the article posted, St. James floats the idea that Tatar will still be recovering from shoulder surgery and won't be able to start the year. So, there's a spot. Then they have to constantly shuffle the deck chairs hoping the right guys get hurt at the right times to allow them to actually be cap compliant and ice their best team.

Yeah, that'll work out well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In the article posted, St. James floats the idea that Tatar will still be recovering from shoulder surgery and won't be able to start the year. So, there's a spot. Then they have to constantly shuffle the deck chairs hoping the right guys get hurt at the right times to allow them to actually be cap compliant and ice their best team.

Yeah, that'll work out well.

That's weird... considering Tatar posted a video earlier today of him shooting some pucks, and he was letting em go pretty good.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What does everyone think?

Link

He signed last year for 2.6M, I think he would come cheaper this year, signing a similar contract to Hartnell, Sharp, Cammalleri. He did have some good chemistry and on another 1-year deal, I wouldn't be opposed.

No offense, but why would he come back cheaper. Last year, he signed a cheap 1 yr, show me type deal, he isn't likely to do that again. Obviously if he signed for even 3 per, that would be pretty good, considering how well he seemed to fit in here, but I doubt he is interested in another lower salary contract.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sorry to be nitpicky, but Sheahan was scratched at one point last season(Dallas), other than that I agree. No way is he slotted in as a healthy scratch on October 5th.

I'm also not in on Vanek, even a 1 year deal.(assuming no trades)

Sheahan only got scratched once, late in the season, when he scored no goals until the last game. He should have been a regular healthy scratch, in the 20-40 games scratched amount. Blashill loves the guy obviously, so he will be in, no matter how much of a non factor he is.

I think it will be part of Blashill's unseating as coach, his insistence on certain players being in the lineup, when others should be in.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No offense, but why would he come back cheaper. Last year, he signed a cheap 1 yr, show me type deal, he isn't likely to do that again. Obviously if he signed for even 3 per, that would be pretty good, considering how well he seemed to fit in here, but I doubt he is interested in another lower salary contract.

Hmm,... if guy is still unsigned, he pretty much can't have any persuading power at the moment.

Vanek still earns 2.5M per year from that Minnesota buyout, so even though he would sign only for 1M with Red Wings, he would get 3.5M total earnings of this season.

At last season he earned 2.5M from Wild buyout + 2.6M from Detroit (partially from Florida) = total 5.1M.

Kenny has been after these bought out players all the time. Signed Brad Richards, signed Vanek, was rumored to be after Girardi. It's kind of a reduced caphit with them when the money comes from two sources.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hmm,... if guy is still unsigned, he pretty much can't have any persuading power at the moment.

Vanek still earns 2.5M per year from that Minnesota buyout, so even though he would sign only for 1M with Red Wings, he would get 3.5M total earnings of this season.

At last season he earned 2.5M from Wild buyout + 2.6M from Detroit (partially from Florida) = total 5.1M.

Kenny has been after these bought out players all the time. Signed Brad Richards, signed Vanek, was rumored to be after Girardi. It's kind of a reduced caphit with them when the money comes from two sources.

I see your point, I do, but most players like a lot of every other person, tend to be quite greedy. Look at Hossa, made millions, now he is "allergic" to hockey equipment, when the money is a peasely 1 mill.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I see your point, I do, but most players like a lot of every other person, tend to be quite greedy. Look at Hossa, made millions, now he is "allergic" to hockey equipment, when the money is a peasely 1 mill.

Jagr, Iginla, Vanek all unsigned. I mean if they do not get signed at all, its forced retirement....

I am sure they would all love multi-year multi-million deals....

but if no one wants them, then no one wants them...
I would totally sign Vanek with a contending team, but not on our team. We should play a useless kid instead.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I like Vanek, but he just isnt a fit here right now unfortunately with both our cap situation as well as our. (Lack of a) competitive situation

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
seems pretty pointless after the disappointing return he got at the trade deadline last year

can't imagine him getting any better of a return this time around and he would just make the draft position worse

I wouldn't say a 3rd is pointless. We essentially traded 2.6M for a 3rd round pick and when you're a team that is as wealthy as the Wings and will spend to the cap that's a worthwhile move imo.

I liked Vanek in his time here and I think he'd fit in nicely on the 3rd line and work well in a net front role on the PP. If he's willing to sign for a similar amount as last time and the Wings can get the cap to work I'd like to have him back.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Rather see the Wings 1-2 points worse in the standings than another 3rd round pick.

Only thing the Wings should be playing for is the best odds to draft first overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad