Helene St. James Vanek Wants To Come Back

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
What does everyone think?

The Detroit Red Wings remain in contact with Thomas Vanek.

Nearly two weeks into free agency, Vanek, 33, is still unsigned, even though he is coming off a good season. A few teams have kicked tires on him, but the sense is he would prefer to come back to Detroit if possible. His agent and the Red Wings are keeping in contact, even as a comeback has hurdles to clear.

Link

He signed last year for 2.6M, I think he would come cheaper this year, signing a similar contract to Hartnell, Sharp, Cammalleri. He did have some good chemistry and on another 1-year deal, I wouldn't be opposed.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't know how we could fit him under the cap. We're going to have to trade Nyquist or Tatar if we sign him. We just won't have the cap and our winger position is overloaded. We need space for Svech.

I'm happy to hear he likes it here so much though. Hopefully he doesn't become Michael Samuelsson 2.0. I agree that I'd prefer to do the repeated 1 year deal thing than to sign him for any longer. He could help us rebuild by trading him every TDL for a third and then just resigning haha.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Like the other free agents, I'm not interested in re-signing Vanek. There's a reason why he doesn't have a contract right now and I don't think he's going to get us any better at the deadline. Most likely scenario is that he causes the team to finish higher in the standings (out of the playoffs) than we would without him. So I would be opposed to this signing, much like the Daley signing.

Obviously like the Daley signing I'm sure the price tag and term would make sense for teams that could benefit from a guy like Vanek. But he's not what this team needs right now.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Like the other free agents, I'm not interested in re-signing Vanek. There's a reason why he doesn't have a contract right now and I don't think he's going to get us any better at the deadline. Most likely scenario is that he causes the team to finish higher in the standings (out of the playoffs) than we would without him. So I would be opposed to this signing, much like the Daley signing.

Obviously like the Daley signing I'm sure the price tag and term would make sense for teams that could benefit from a guy like Vanek. But he's not what this team needs right now.

The thing that makes it more okay to me is that it'll force us to trade Nyquist or Tatar. If we get a first from either of those and sign Vanek as their replacement that's fine by me. I don't think he moves the needle enough to have a noticeable change on our position in the standings.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The thing that makes it more okay to me is that it'll force us to trade Nyquist or Tatar. If we get a first from either of those and sign Vanek as their replacement that's fine by me. I don't think he moves the needle enough to have a noticeable change on our position in the standings.

How would it force Holland to trade Tatar or Nyquist? Holland always finds a way to make the cap work for him, even if it isn't in our best interests long-term. We'd probably see Mrazek traded with retention for peanuts before Holland faced down trading a roster player he doesn't wholly deplore.

On the other

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Svech would still be in GR.

I don't mind this especially if Tatar situation goes south. Maybe we can move him to a team in need of some more help on the wing.

Trading Tatar and signing Vanek would be more of a commitment to being worse but still competitive to seem like we aren't tanking.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Wouldn't mind it. If we're signing a vet to 1 year deal I'd rather it be Jagr, just cause it's Jagr, but this would be an inoffensive signing. Don't think he moves the needle enough to make a difference tank wise. And we could probably flip him for a pick again.

Also like someone else said it might force a trade for Tatar, Nyquist or Sheahan which could bring us back something decent.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I don't believe Holland will trade Nyquist or Tatar, I imagine they'll end up walking like Hudler and Filppula did. Holland will most likely try to re-sign him until July 1st and then he'll walk and we'll lose him for nothing. It was easier to trade Smith because he wasn't going to be part of the team's future regardless, but I feel Holland believes Tatar is a core player and will treat him as such.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Vanek

No, No a thousand times no. He would cut into AA's ice time, which is the LAST thing most of us want to see.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
seems pretty pointless after the disappointing return he got at the trade deadline last year

can't imagine him getting any better of a return this time around and he would just make the draft position worse

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
He played well with us, can't remember who his line mates were. AA maybe? So could be good for whoever he plays with.
Not sure if there's room for him. I'd probably pass but I wouldn't be mad if we brought him back

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The Buffalo Sabres decided to match a 7×7 offer sheet for this guy over taking a bunch of first round picks. I still can't believe that.

Say no to Vanek. Pointless to have him on the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't know how we could fit him under the cap. We're going to have to trade Nyquist or Tatar if we sign him. We just won't have the cap and our winger position is overloaded. We need space for Svech.

If we sign Vanek, then it will be obvious, that some asset will be traded.

We can't fit under the cap anyhow even without Vanek, when Tatar and Athanasiou will sign.

So Tatar/Nyquist (~4.75M caphit) could be traded, then Vanek signs for ~3M, and we are back under the cap.

Last edited:

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Who would that be? Helm, Ericsson?

I don't think Helm would fetch much but I do think there'd be plenty of buyers, especially at the trade deadline and he's healthy.

As for the topic at hand, rather not sign Vanek. Good player but I'd rather we play Mantha and Athanasiou more and call up guys like Bertuzzi and Svechnikov when injuries hit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think Helm would fetch much but I do think there'd be plenty of buyers, especially at the trade deadline and he's healthy.

I don't know, Vegas just passed on him for free. And they took several other guys and were able to flip them for picks.

That contract is baaaaaaaaad.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I don't know, Vegas just passed on him for free. And they took several other guys and were able to flip them for picks.

That contract is baaaaaaaaad.

Vegas had a much larger choice to choose from to start. Besides, I think Vegas was more looking towards pieces that are young now but will be experienced vets once or if their early picks start to hit their stride. I'd probably be thinking the same way in their shoes.

Helm, I'd argue, is more valuable to a team that's looking to go on a deep run now. Excellent penalty killer, always grinds and claws his way. Kind of valuable where he specializes at the very nature of how playoff hockey tends to be played. He's not a top end guy but for a bottom six, he's a very valuable piece.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I wouldn't hold your breath on a Tatar or Nyquist trade. Barring a team being willing to give up a top 4 defenceman Holland won't deal either of them for cap space.

The most likely result of any Free Agent signing would probably be Mrazek traded or put on Waivers in hopes that someone takes his salary for nothing.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
If we can swing Tatar for a pair of 2nd round picks and then sign Vanek for 2 years I don't think it would be a bad idea. Then just trade Vanek again next year. Bonus would be Rasmussen getting to work on his net front game with Vanek during camp.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I don't see the cap space. Maybe after the year starts and someone goes on LTIR, perhaps.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
If we can swing Tatar for a pair of 2nd round picks and then sign Vanek for 2 years I don't think it would be a bad idea. Then just trade Vanek again next year. Bonus would be Rasmussen getting to work on his net front game with Vanek during camp.

If we deal Tatar I rather we do it in a similar fashion to what Yzerman did with Drouin and trade him for a defensive prospect with high upside.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Not going to happen even if there was 3-4.0 on the table. He goes to a contender is my bet. Put him next to a real 1st or second line center with vision and hands and he is still a 70+ pt guy l. Would like to see him with Jumbo Joe.

Tampa, Florida, Rangers, San Jose, LA, Nashville

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad