Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Never understood how Vancouver was able to support two sports stations
In the old days, TSN 1040 had most of the local sport teams broadcasting right. So, they would put the whitecaps or lions on the second station when it was Canucks game night.

member 290103

Did anyone hear Gilman on I think it was Weds or Thursday? A listener asked him about the Kesler trade and who he thought 'won' the trade. It got really awkward and he said he couldn't comment on that. It REALLY sounded like he had some **** to say about it but didn't want to get into trouble.

It's probably because he argued against the deal and others like it....part of the reason why the clown show fired him. If only Aqualini had moved promoted Gilman to GM and left Gillis as President, the team would probably be playing right now as we speak.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah, I don't think the current regime is real big on constructive criticism or dissenting voices

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably related to the Sbisa part of the deal.
That’s the only bad part of the trade. Knew they were taking the first rounder, and bonino as a roster player to replace kesler. To take sbisa over someone like Theodore was stupid. But, if the mandate of the organization from ownership was to win now, then not surprised that they opted for a 24 year old Dman over a 19 year old.

They should have been able to come to the decision that with the Luongo trade in season and Kessler’s trade request that the window had closed. But they refused to accept it and now Theodore is with the knights and contributing while the Canucks let sbisa go in the ED.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah, I don't think the current regime is real big on constructive criticism or dissenting voices
And it's a perfect storm of traditional print and radio reporting dying off wholesale while the internet takes over. CSE hates hearing criticism, and now they have the leverage to make the papers and radio toe the line.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It's probably because he argued against the deal and others like it....part of the reason why the clown show fired him. If only Aqualini had moved promoted Gilman to GM and left Gillis as President, the team would probably be playing right now as we speak.

I don’t think Gillis would’ve want to drop the GM role, by the end of his tenure he looked real burnt out...

If he was going down with the ship, might as well be down with it as GM.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I don’t think Gillis would’ve want to drop the GM role, by the end of his tenure he looked real burnt out...

I still sort of wish he got the chance to rebuild... but boy does Jim know how to draft!

member 290103

Gilman was on the radio recently and said that Gillis is not cut out to be a GM as he has no ability to handle the media. Said he is best off in a role as a President or VP - but not the GM (paraphrasing).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Gilman was on the radio recently and said that Gillis is not cut out to be a GM as he has no ability to handle the media. Said he is best off in a role as a President or VP - but not the GM (paraphrasing).

Remember him calling out the refs during round 1 against Chicago in 2011? Yeah I know it was obvious some calls were going against us and going in their favor but him reading from a paper detailing so and so seemed cringe worthy.

Being the GM you have to deal with the media, I wish he could’ve handled it better.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Remember him calling out the refs during round 1 against Chicago in 2011? Yeah I know it was obvious some calls were going against us and going in their favor but him reading from a paper detailing so and so seemed cringe worthy.

Being the GM you have to deal with the media, I wish he could’ve handled it better.

Didn't burke do the same thing? Oh wait, I guess the argument stands.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Honestly I don't remember. Do you have a link? Would love to see the video.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Didn't burke do the same thing? Oh wait, I guess the argument stands.

Burke at that time already had beef with the media so he was so used to it. Plus, Burke in the NHL circles was part of the ‘old boys club’ so his rep was already established...he didn’t care.

With Gillis it seemed like he wanted the media to f*** off from him.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

You can't tell me the way he did it was worse than Bryan Burke's comedy routine in 2002

Charles Bushman

Apr 22, 2018
It's very disappointing to me how he turned out. I grew up listening to his show from 10pm to midnight......and during the time he was not hell bent on carrying out his personal battle with the Canucks, it was the best radio around.

I thought maybe with some time away he'd have mellowed a bit, and stopped with the nonsense. No such luck. What a shame.
Yeah Dan Russel has turned into a complete idiot. He’s a very bitter little blob of a man. His show back in the late 80’s was the best for about ten years. Piling on the Sedins like that when it was their week was in very poor taste.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Never understood how Vancouver was able to support two sports stations

1410 was had no local content, so the ads only had to cover the rights fees that the station paid. I’m not even sure it required a board operator most of the time - some of the ads were clearly tied to the originator is the broadcast.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Did anyone hear Gilman on I think it was Weds or Thursday? A listener asked him about the Kesler trade and who he thought 'won' the trade. It got really awkward and he said he couldn't comment on that. It REALLY sounded like he had some **** to say about it but didn't want to get into trouble.

Well the deal he really wanted was Kesler for Brandon Sutter + Derrick Pouliot + 1st round pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pouliot for sbisa and ultimately they got sutter in exchange for bonino and clendenning with the swap of picks. Pitts first in 2014 is 2 spots better than the Anaheim pick.

If that’s his deal, no real change. Fans probably feel better about it since pouliot was a 20 year old prospect with some upside at the time. Getting sutter in 2015 gives the team the chance to see him play before they commit long term to him, but really I don’t see much change in the contract he ended up getting from this group.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
During canucks lunch greg wisneiwski (sp) auld and the other host were ripping on pierre mcguire pretty hard. It was hilarious, clearly nobody takes him seriously as no one should .

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Listening to 650 you’ve got to wonder if Andrew Walker is home sick. Listening to him is like listening to a Leafs fan born and raised in Ontario give his opinion about the Canucks.

My god get this guy a trip back home so he can be back with his leafs and back in Ontario.

Reactions: nucks88

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Walker seems more like a guy who prefers to give unpopular opinions to get attention. I would describe him as a smart idiot.

Reactions: Dab

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Walker seems more like a guy who prefers to give unpopular opinions to get attention. I would describe him as a smart idiot.
I can see this. The smart idiot that’s homesick for his beloved Ontario- I think that about sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad