Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
More semantic mud as usual. Moving from the worst prospect pool in the league to a top-5 prospect pool is proof of a rebuild, as well as turning one of the oldest cores (stale, as Tortorella put it) in the league into one of the league's youngest squads.

Show me how this is a top 5 prospect pool in the league.
You keep throwing out these lines, that you "feel are true" I guess, but never back anything up with facts.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Moving depth guys like Hansen, Burrows, and Vanek at the deadline aren't "rebuilding" moves - they are standard trades that most teams out of the playoff race pursue at the trade deadline.

The last "rebuild" move was trading Bieksa for a 2nd round pick in 2015.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Moving depth guys like Hansen, Burrows, and Vanek at the deadline aren't "rebuilding" moves - they are standard trades that most teams out of the playoff race pursue at the trade deadline.

Absolutely true.

The Chicago Blackhawks are absolutely not rebuilding but sold off a couple mid-level pending UFAs at the deadline for draft picks when it was obvious they were missing the playoffs. It's just standard operating procedure.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

I’m not sure I’d even classify that one as a rebuilding move considering they traded that 2nd shortly after for Sutter. I think that was more about “change is coming” than rebuilding for the future.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I’m not sure I’d even classify that one as a rebuilding move considering they traded that 2nd shortly after for Sutter. I think that was more about “change is coming” than rebuilding for the future.

It always gets murky when you go down the path of future trades/signing/who actually replaced the player in the lineup.. but I think you have to consider the Bieksa trade a rebuilding move. They moved an older player for a draft pick. What they did with the pick after is something else.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
This thread is still about sports media technically so I would like to point out that Dave Pratt is a knob.
He is a knob for sure but they all are. Other than Sat Shah, every single sports media member is unlikeable in this town. Like how is that even possible? And now we get Bloomberg Radio on 1410 and have zero American sports talk radio. Wouldn’t want any variety like Eisen, Rome or Patrick. Nope, let’s just let all the idiots cram Canucks, Lions and Whitecaps down the locals throats 24-7-365 x 2.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
I'm not sure that Judd Brackett has scouted all the guys in person that the Canucks have drafted since he became the director of amateur scouting. You have to rely on your scouting staff. I think a GM can influence the draft quite a bit. For example, both Weisbrod and Brackett are big on the USHL and NCAA scene. You think it's a coincidence that the Canucks started drafting USHL players once Benning came on board and gave Weisbrod and Brackett authority?

And not every late round pick is some obscure player playing in Europe or on a middle of nowhere US high school team. Benning was there at the U18s in 2015. He likely saw Jasek played. And when you go and watch Sergachev, you watch Chatfield and Dipietro etc. and the guys on the other team. Similarly, scouts saw Kyle Petit play when they were scouting Dane Fox. They saw Jordan Subban play when they saw Brendan Gaunce (and Cramarossa). It's not an impossibility that a GM didn't personally watch a late round draft pick play. If you go and watch Owen Sound play last season you get to watch Suzuki, and you watched Gadjovich and Palmu play as well. That's not to mention the fact that GMs who are out of the playoffs have time to scout CHL playoff games.

The belief that a GM couldn't have seen a late round pick play in person (nevermind on video) because they couldn't have the time for it is stupid.

Of course, at the end of the day, Benning's job isn't to go out and scout. He promoted Brackett, a part-time scout, to be the Canucks' Director of Amateur Scouting to help him. That's not insignificant.
No doubt Jimbo watches a lot of hockey games and prospects; judging by the awesome results his team has produced over 4 years on the ice, he is a hockey savant who upon 1 or 2 viewings can determine that Juolevi has a greater future than a Keller or Samsenov. The likes of McCann, Vey, Eriksson, Etem, Stewart, glendinning, Larsen, Gagner and Motte are due to the mere human support staff and the fact Benning needs to sleep occasionally...

Reactions: The Drop

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Moj has been saying for a couple weeks that no way Tanev returns a first and blah blah blah... stating that firsts are worth so much.

after the lottery he's talking about trading the 7th to the islanders for their 2 firsts. LOL

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
...he is a hockey savant who upon 1 or 2 viewings can determine that Juolevi has a greater future than a... Samsenov...

No idea who Samsenov is but I think Juolevi currently has a greater hockey future than Samsenov ya.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Moj has been saying for a couple weeks that no way Tanev returns a first and blah blah blah... stating that firsts are worth so much.

after the lottery he's talking about trading the 7th to the islanders for their 2 firsts. LOL

This is the same guy who thought Sbisa was a huge part of Vegas' success. Total knob.

Reactions: bobaloo88

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
He is a knob for sure but they all are. Other than Sat Shah, every single sports media member is unlikeable in this town. Like how is that even possible? And now we get Bloomberg Radio on 1410 and have zero American sports talk radio. Wouldn’t want any variety like Eisen, Rome or Patrick. Nope, let’s just let all the idiots cram Canucks, Lions and Whitecaps down the locals throats 24-7-365 x 2.
I quite like Tony Gallagher, so that would make him likeable.

Last edited:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
John shannon saying Pettersson likely to sign with the Canucks soon a few hours after Sekeres claims he might play another year in Sweden. Similar to how 1040 claimed Vanek wasn’t going to sign with the Canucks then half an hour later they announced the signing.

A+ reporting :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: The Drop

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018

That is fine for you... I hate that stuff. It is all blow hards that pause.... and pause.... and yell.... and it is seriously 90% basketball. Sorry But personally I hate that sport.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
That is fine for you... I hate that stuff. It is all blow hards that pause.... and pause.... and yell.... and it is seriously 90% basketball. Sorry But personally I hate that sport.
I hate Basketball too but they do talk a lot of MLB and NFL which I like.

I hate the CFL and I’m not a soccer fan so the content on the local stations is pretty crappy for me. And when they do try to talk about any of the other sports they embarrass themselves and have garbage guests. This goes back to Dan Russel having Rod Beaton the hack on his show. They can’t get decent guests or analysts on their shows. Dirk Hayhurst? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad