Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Millionaires vs. Detroit Winged Wheelers - We Still Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I think having Loonie (one dollar) as their logo would have been more appropriate last night. :laugh:

You know the funny thing is earlier before the game Mike Babcock watched the Canucks practice in the morning and asked the reporter "What team is that? Is that a minor team" (Mike didn't know how our new jerseys looked).

Mike probably thought it was the same minor team playing on the ice when it was game time.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
You know the funny thing is earlier before the game Mike Babcock watched the Canucks practice in the morning and asked the reporter "What team is that? Is that a minor team" (Mike didn't know how our new jerseys looked).

Mike probably thought it was the same minor team playing on the ice when it was game time.

Different jerseys+ Mike Babcock's speed of light analysis of team=minors. :laugh:

I'm with him on that one. :biglaugh:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Yep you hit every point.

How can we forget a game like this... not only were we trying to honor the Vancouver Millionairs but we lost it in such a fashion that I feel embarassed that these players can call themselves the "millionaires"... on top of that we got humiliated in hockey night in Canada where the viewership is much more higher.

Everything that went wrong did.

Your move Gillis. Either you let Nonis' coach go or you should pack your bags and leave Vancouver.

Cody Hodgson would look so much better centering our 2nd line.... I mean... Gillis saying we don't need hodgson was just complete asset mismanagement... I don't understand this "need" for a bruising forward like Kassian, he is simply a plug. The reason he even has any points this season is because he played with the Sedins, he hasn't done anything 5 on 5 without them. The Hodgson move was not a hockey deal, we did not NEED Kassian, we needed a centre more then anything. And please don't start saying Hodgson would not have played under AV, Hodgson is terrible defensively. KASSIAN is astrocious defensively, the reason Kassian was even floating and playing, is because Gillis was trying to safe face from this deal.

You know the funny thing is almost every young prospect we trade away always goes with the "AV would not have played him anyways, They can't play defense". What are we trying to do... turn them all into grinders? Let them play a style where they excel the most. Defense will be learned through game time.

Trading Hodgson wasn't a bad move but getting Kassian for him was. They should have received a very good proven top six forward for Hodgson. Some of the moves Gillis has made has left me scratching my head.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Trading Hodgson wasn't a bad move but getting Kassian for him was. They should have received a very good proven top six forward for Hodgson. Some of the moves Gillis has made has left me scratching my head.

This team knew last season that they would probably end up trading one of their goalies after the season ended. I'm still confused at why they didn't do a goalie + hodgson trade. That would have some solid value.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
That trade in the deadline with Hodgson was just completely unnecessary. It didn't help the team at all in the cup run, in fact it made our secondary scoring much worse.

I remember reading an article that some GMs were actually shocked to hear that Hodgson was traded because Gillis had not told any of them that he was available. This is what bothers me, we could have garnered such more value for Hodgson if we had moved him at the draft.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

How can you say trading Hodgson wasnt a bad move? We got zip for him, and hes EXACTLY what this team needs and even needed then with kesler always hurt.

Worst move in franchise history outside of Neely

John Bender*

How can you say trading Hodgson wasnt a bad move? We got zip for him, and hes EXACTLY what this team needs and even needed then with kesler always hurt.

It's not yet amongst the worst moves, but it's not looking good. The timing was the worst part of it.

I do suspect this could define Mike Gillis' legacy as a GM. I think it was a terrible mistake.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Nearly a year later and we still have whining about this? The trade seemed fair at the time, two different types of prospects, and the final analysis will be years away. Worst move in franchise history? not even close.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

We got Kassian. But theres so many cases of amnesia around here - it takes constant reminding that not all players develop at the same pace. Best case examples being your very own Kesler, Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, etc etc etc. Although maybe half of you guys are all of 12-16 yrs old and don't remember those things.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Nearly a year later and we still have whining about this? The trade seemed fair at the time, two different types of prospects, and the final analysis will be years away. Worst move in franchise history? not even close.

With Hodgson here instead of the Woogie, we would have probably 4-5 more points in standings

John Bender*

We got Kassian. But theres so many cases of amnesia around here - it takes constant reminding that not all players develop at the same pace. Best case examples being your very own Kesler, Sedins, Burrows, Hansen, etc etc etc. Although maybe half of you guys are all of 12-16 yrs old and don't remember those things.

Kassian has been terrible. Hodgson has put up points. This team can't score. Kassian has no goals in what? 20 games? People will complain.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
With Hodgson here instead of the Woogie, we would have probably 4-5 more points in standings

Yeah totally. We can all play that game of complete hypotheticasl based on absolutely nothing. So I counter with "if we still had Hodgson we'd probably have 6-7 points less in the standings".

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wow. I'm so tired of every thread turning into this Hodgson garbage.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Hodgson wouldn't be a good third line centre. The trade itself was not good. I would have preferred a proven top six forward and not a prospect.

Trading Hodgson was not a mistake but getting Kassian for him was.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I hate revisiting the trade, but I'll chime in.

One prospect was having an immediate impact and ready to contribute, the other may have an impact in a few years. Therein lies the problem, Kassian could live up to his potential, but it may occur once our window has closed. While not the worst move in franchise history, if could be the worst in GMMG tenure.

John Bender*

Wow. I'm so tired of every thread turning into this Hodgson garbage.

It's just so hard to take right now with the scoring woes this team has, and the fact Kassian has been unable to score at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad