Value of: Vancouver Canucks-Buffalo Sabres

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Vancouver Canucks-Buffalo Sabres

This trade won’t happen for obvious reasons, but I’m posting this for a few reasons:

1) I want to know if my proposed trade is fair value and would make sense for both teams.

2) I want to know if my proposed trade would hypothetically address the needs of both teams.

So here goes......

To Buffalo: Brock Boeser + 2018 1st
To Vancouver: Jack Eichel

Buffalo gets a winger that can finish + the 7th overall. Even without Eichel, the Sabres have a great shot of being extremely deep down the middle. Reinhart seems to have taken a leap in his game, while Mittelstadt is developing quite nicely and is waiting in the wings. The Sabres would still have O’Reilly. Trading Eichel would reduce the Sabres cap space.

Vancouver would get an alpha center while Horvat would go to where he should go; anchoring the 2nd line. With Eichel in Vancouver, the Canucks could turn develop Pettersson as a winger (Pettersson pretty much takes Boeser’s old role).

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Value isn't terrible... but yeah, like ya said, it would never happen. The Sabres are Eichel's team.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
For better or for worse, for richer or poorer, the Sabers won't trade Eichel. I mean, Personally, I could think of a few trades that I would trade Eichel for, but Buffalo's management would never do it.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Come on, Eichel hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential and could lead the league in scoring on a good team the guy has no help and still averages almost a point per game

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
It would be kinda like the Penguins trading Malkin for Thomas Vanek and the seventh overall pick in the summer of 2007.

Kinda makes sense at the time, but in the end, you bet on the elite talent.

No disrespect to Boeser, who is a heck of a player. Vanek has been a top 10 goal scorer over his career.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
It would be kinda like the Penguins trading Malkin for Thomas Vanek and the seventh overall pick in the summer of 2007.

Kinda makes sense at the time, but in the end, you bet on the elite talent.

No disrespect to Boeser, who is a heck of a player. Vanek has been a top 10 goal scorer over his career.

Get what you’re trying to say but I’d make a pretty strong case Boeser is elite talent too

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Come on, Eichel hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential and could lead the league in scoring on a good team the guy has no help and still averages almost a point per game
I'm not saying it's a good deal for BUF,(or for VAN), but the bolded could be said about Boeser as well.

As far as the caveat "on a good team".... Eichel was supposed to be the kind of player that could do that on any team, and turn a horrible team into a good one. That's what "franchise" player means (especially "generational franchise player).

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not saying it's a good deal for BUF,(or for VAN), but the bolded could be said about Boeser as well.

As far as the caveat "on a good team".... Eichel was supposed to be the kind of player that could do that on any team, and turn a horrible team into a good one. That's what "franchise" player means (especially "generational franchise player).

How long did it take Tavares? This line of thinking is just totally outdated and has never really applied to hockey

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

McDavid can't even do that. This isn't basketball, one player cannot change a team with just their performance. They can change the teams culture and mindset(something Jack needs to do) in order to improve their team.

McDavid has had back to back art ross'. One year his team made the playoffs because the TEAM played better and Talbot played like a true #1. A few injuries and regression from Talbot and they miss the playoffs despite having the league's best offensive player.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
McDavid can't even do that. This isn't basketball, one player cannot change a team with just their performance. They can change the teams culture and mindset(something Jack needs to do) in order to improve their team.

McDavid has had back to back art ross'. One year his team made the playoffs because the TEAM played better and Talbot played like a true #1. A few injuries and regression from Talbot and they miss the playoffs despite having the league's best offensive player.

So your example, to show how a guy needs a good team to lead the league in scoring......

.... is to use a player who lead the league in scoring on a bad team.

Cool, thanks for proving my point: Players can lead the league in scoring on a bad team.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How long did it take Tavares? This line of thinking is just totally outdated and has never really applied to hockey
Tavares made the playoffs in his 4th year. He did it without joining a team that had just added the 2nd overall pick in the draft when he joined, and they didn't add a generational franchise D before his 4th season.

So... by your logic, if Eichel doesn't do what Tavares did, and make the playoffs this year... he's not as good? Or will your example of Tavares no longer have meaning and you'll just move the goalposts. Let me know.

BTW- I never claimed Tavares was generational either.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
So your example, to show how a guy needs a good team to lead the league in scoring......

.... is to use a player who lead the league in scoring on a bad team.

Cool, thanks for proving my point: Players can lead the league in scoring on a bad team.
As I read it your point was one player can turn a bad team into a good team. That cannot happen.

Also why does everyone on this site have to be so sarcastic and condescending? Can't we just talk hockey without beings dicks?

Reactions: Rasmi

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As I read it your point was one player can turn a bad team into a good team. That cannot happen.

Also why does everyone on this site have to be so sarcastic and condescending? Can't we just talk hockey without beings dicks?

I get what you are saying. The post I responded to said Eichel could lead the league in scoring on a good team. I disputed that, as players on bad teams have lead the league in scoring. As you pointed out: McDavid just did it.
Iginla did it on a bad team.
Jamie Benn did it on a bad team.

As for taking a bad team and making them good in their first 3 years. You are correct it is rare, but it happens.

Eric Staal
Sidney Crosby
Ovechkin
McDavid
Matthews

All bad teams when the guy got there, all got into the playoffs within 3, some even sooner. Now, it's true that during those 3 years those teams added other players as well.

But:
Many Sabres fans (up until late this year) claimed that Risto was a top pairing D.
Many Sabres fans around the trade deadline said that EKane was a top line winger.
Many Sabres fans say that ROR is a high end #1 C
Many Sabres fans say that Sam Reinhart is good top 6 F.
Many Sabres fans say that Marco Scandella is a #2 or at worse #3 D.

If those things are true, then there's more talent on that team then when he got there. But their fortunes haven't changed. Perhaps Dahlin is the missing piece and the team will make the playoffs this year, or next year at the latest. We'll see.

It's not a knock on Eichel to say that he's not Crosby or not McDavid. But that means he's also not generational either.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Boesers 16% shooting is definitely sustainable. And his 62% ozs on a bad team isn't sheltered at all. And wingers are definitely more important then centers.

Horrible. Add a lot more and then come back.

Reactions: connormcmuffin

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
Vancouver Canucks-Buffalo Sabres

This trade won’t happen for obvious reasons, but I’m posting this for a few reasons:

1) I want to know if my proposed trade is fair value and would make sense for both teams.

2) I want to know if my proposed trade would hypothetically address the needs of both teams.

So here goes......

To Buffalo: Brock Boeser + 2018 1st
To Vancouver: Jack Eichel

Buffalo gets a winger that can finish + the 7th overall. Even without Eichel, the Sabres have a great shot of being extremely deep down the middle. Reinhart seems to have taken a leap in his game, while Mittelstadt is developing quite nicely and is waiting in the wings. The Sabres would still have O’Reilly. Trading Eichel would reduce the Sabres cap space.

Vancouver would get an alpha center while Horvat would go to where he should go; anchoring the 2nd line. With Eichel in Vancouver, the Canucks could turn develop Pettersson as a winger (Pettersson pretty much takes Boeser’s old role).
Never gonna happen, I’ll take Brok over Eichel because he fits nice with the your movement we have in Vancouver, nothing against Eichel, I just prefer Brok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad