Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WPG] Canucks acquire 6th in '21 for D Jordie Benn

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Depends on what the team is looking for I think. I think Hutton is the better overall Dman but he has zero playoff experience. As it is often the case if you're looking for defensive depth come playoff time, Benn is seen as a guy you can just plug in.
Plug in the bottom pairing. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the top 4 unless you had a D that could carry a pairing (in which case, it wouldn't really matter if it were Benn or Hutton).

Reactions: shottasasa

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Plug in the bottom pairing. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the top 4 unless you had a D that could carry a pairing (in which case, it wouldn't really matter if it were Benn or Hutton).
Yup. Both Benn and Hutton are in the press box for playoffs. They only play if there are injuries to guys, who actually can play. And to be honest at least Benn can be physically hard on guys. Hutton is a marshmallow.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good deal for Winnipeg. Benn, after a shaky start, has had a pretty good season. Helped settle down Myers and gave the team a degree of toughness around the net. IMO should have got more than 6th and with Brackett gone unlikely to unearth much with the 6th.

However, if you are into the tank (and why shouldn't you be) this move might help. Get to see some of Joulevi and maybe someone like Rathbone. I guess Bowey as well.

Reactions: Izzy Goodenough

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
A trade for a draft pick straight up? What's not to like. I mean Jim did immediately turn around and trade out a better pick but hey baby steps.

Reactions: PM and Dab

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Good deal for Winnipeg. Benn, after a shaky start, has had a pretty good season. Helped settle down Myers and gave the team a degree of toughness around the net. IMO should have got more than 6th and with Brackett gone unlikely to unearth much with the 6th.

However, if you are into the tank (and why shouldn't you be) this move might help. Get to see some of Joulevi and maybe someone like Rathbone. I guess Bowey as well.

Benn wasn't really that 'tough' around the net honestly. His beard is scary but he was not a net defender. Regardless, at least Juolevi and Rathbone will get in now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Finally a trade that makes some sense.....it's only a sixth rounder, but Benn's departure opens the door for Juolevi to play games down the stretch.....but should have happened a month or so ago.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hughes best numbers were with Benn this year

Glad we got something
paid like a bottom pairing and performed relatively decent in his role for the 2 years he was here.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
That’s a disappointing return for a decent depth defender who can play both sides on a decent contract. I was expecting at least a 5th or maybe even a 3rd of salary was retained. :thumbd:

at last Benning made the trade I guess.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I was going to say that I've waited 7 years for Benning to trade a pending UFA for a draft pick then I vaguely recall him trading Del Zotto to Anaheim (?) for a 7th about a month before the TDL when he had little value.
I guess it's better than nothing, which is what I was expecting.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I'm happy to get a pick back for Benn, any draft pick is better than no draft picks. For how brutal Benning is at trades, I consider this a win, and that's sad.

Reactions: PM and Dab

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
He wasn’t really playing and wasn’t really effective when he was. May as well try and get something for him!

Surprised any of our players received any interest with the team COVID environment and uncertainty! Way to go Vancouver!!

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Can't get too upset with this trade. Benn just isn't very good; it was never realistic to get a pick from the early rounds even if you could quibble about the return. Now one or more of the Canucks young guys can get some game time instead; which will be helpful to see how the defence is shaping up for next year.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Pretty amazing to be able to make trades after our covid outbreak last week. People aren't taking into account how impressive that is. Glad to get a draft pick.

Reactions: LordBacon

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Pretty amazing to be able to make trades after our covid outbreak last week. People aren't taking into account how impressive that is. Glad to get a draft pick.
I forgot to mention that I am really impressed that Benning got something instead of the usual nothing.

Something is infinitely more than nothing.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I forgot to mention that I am really impressed that Benning got something instead of the usual nothing.

Something is infinitely more than nothing.
Im pretty sure that guy was being sarcastic Mathy :laugh:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Tbh I thought we’re f***ed.
But apparently some gm don’t concern about getting their team potentially infected

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
People are forgetting that Benn is from Victoria

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad