Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WPG] Canucks acquire 6th in '21 for D Jordie Benn

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think i'd take hutton over benn for playoff depth. benn may be a better strict role player bottom six dman, but he can onlu play so much. hutton can sub into the top 4 and play 20 minutes a game of "near top 4" if they have an injury situation. i think benn would fall apart if he had to play that much.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
As someone noted above, this is literally the bare minimum you'd expect from a GM capable of putting his pants on in the morning, to get a late pick for a serviceable depth defender on an expiring contract.
When a $4MM Gudbranson returns a 7th round pick and a random D prospect, then a 6th for a $2MM Benn really is bare minimum.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Unsurprisingly, LA actually got more for Hutton. I'd prefer Benn over Hutton as a depth guy in the playoffs personally, but Hutton perhaps fits better with Toronto's game.

Also notable, of course, that we got nothing for Hutton.
Jordie Benn’s amazing beard literally biases folks into thinking he’s rugged and his last name biases people into thinking he’s good.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i think i'd take hutton over benn for playoff depth. benn may be a better strict role player bottom six dman, but he can onlu play so much. hutton can sub into the top 4 and play 20 minutes a game of "near top 4" if they have an injury situation. i think benn would fall apart if he had to play that much.

Depends on what the team is looking for I think. I think Hutton is the better overall Dman but he has zero playoff experience. As it is often the case if you're looking for defensive depth come playoff time, Benn is seen as a guy you can just plug in.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm good with this. I know a 6th is whatever but considering how bad Benn was last year, turning him into anything is fine.

More importantly, opens up a spot for Juolevi.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
My incredibly low expectations have me feeling really good about this. We got something when the only alternative was nothing. Not only that, late-round draft picks are far juicier than normal this year. Glass half empty says we could have got a 5th, but f*** that, we got something.

Reactions: LovemyNucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I t
Depends on what the team is looking for I think. I think Hutton is the better overall Dman but he has zero playoff experience. As it is often the case if you're looking for defensive depth come playoff time, Benn is seen as a guy you can just plug in.
I thought Benn would have gone for a 5th as a minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad