Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WPG] Canucks acquire 6th in '21 for D Jordie Benn

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Ben Hutton is better.

Troy Stecher is better.

Oscar Fantenberg is better.

Honestly, if his last name was Boone and he couldn't grow a beard, he wouldn't be in the league. The Beard and the last name has earned this dude millions.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benn was one of the more underrated stupid signings we've made here recently.

Spent an extra $1.5 million to downgrade on what we were getting from Biega. Seemed like a nice enough guy but was completely unnecessary and irrelevant from day 1.
Odd..?..You were pleased at the time of the signing.
"That’s actually not bad. I was wrong in my assumption of what they’d give him"

The Benn signing was a thumbs up from mostly everybody in 2019.

Reactions: deckercky

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Odd..?..You were pleased at the time of the signing.
"That’s actually not bad. I was wrong in my assumption of what they’d give him"

The Benn signing was a thumbs up from mostly everybody in 2019.

... and quickly recanted on that as a bad take where I didn't think the roster through properly, even before he played a game I think.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
... and quickly recanted on that as a bad take where I didn't think the roster through properly, even before he played a game I think.
I thought he was a good signing at the time..a good solid versatile third pairing D man..not flashy or anything...The 2 year term was fine.

I thought he played well in stretches this season, but all in all..he didn't pan out as to what was expected.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought he was a good signing at the time..a good solid versatile third pairing D man..not flashy or anything...The 2 year term was fine.

I thought he played well in stretches this season, but all in all..he didn't pan out as to what was expected.

He's an OK #6 defender but when you have Biega making $700k and a team that's capped out, spending $2m on a lateral move (at best) for that #6 defender spot is bad business.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was one of the few against the Benn signing at the time, mainly because I don't understand ever giving term to a 6th/7th defenseman. I still think it was a bad signing as it probably cost the team either Stecher or maybe Tryamkin depending how you look at it.

I guess they didn't sell low here at least - he would have cost them a pick to dump last off-season. Might have still been the right call depending what they did with the money, but overall I'll call the Benn-era pretty much a wash.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
He's an OK #6 defender but when you have Biega making $700k and a team that's capped out, spending $2m on a lateral move (at best) for that #6 defender spot is bad business.

This is the issue that is so frustrating. I thought Benn was a fine 6th/7th D-man. But paying such a player $2M makes no sense. Especially one that is in his 30s and on the decline rather than the up swing and when there are cheaper, basically equivalent, options inside and outside the organization.

So, I understand why Benning gets these players (whether I agree or not, I understand). He is in job preservation mode. It's not his money and a guy like Benn arguably could lead to more wins in the very short term than a player that is still developing. But why does the owner allow this to happen? Isn't it obvious, without even looking hard. He gave a 32 year old defenseman a >80% raise and an NTC. His signing bonus was almost as much as his previous years' salary. And, I repeat, he was 32 years old going into the first year of the contract. I honestly can't figure out why Aquilini would buy into this. Any owner should be calling a GM on the carpet if they make this deal. It is literally throwing money away.

And I don't meant to be disrespectful to Benn at all. He is a legitimate depth D-man in the NHL and I have mad respect for any player able to make it to that level.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This is the issue that is so frustrating. I thought Benn was a fine 6th/7th D-man. But paying such a player $2M makes no sense. Especially one that is in his 30s and on the decline rather than the up swing and when there are cheaper, basically equivalent, options inside and outside the organization.

So, I understand why Benning gets these players (whether I agree or not, I understand). He is in job preservation mode. It's not his money and a guy like Benn arguably could lead to more wins in the very short term than a player that is still developing. But why does the owner allow this to happen? Isn't it obvious, without even looking hard. He gave a 32 year old defenseman a >80% raise and an NTC. His signing bonus was almost as much as his previous years' salary. And, I repeat, he was 32 years old going into the first year of the contract. I honestly can't figure out why Aquilini would buy into this. Any owner should be calling a GM on the carpet if they make this deal. It is literally throwing money away.

And I don't meant to be disrespectful to Benn at all. He is a legitimate depth D-man in the NHL and I have mad respect for any player able to make it to that level.
Lol. Who the **** gives a #6D at best (more like an ok #7) at limited NTC and two year deal? But Gillis! 4th line center gets a NTC. Awful backup goalie gets a NTC. Freaking Fin gets a NTC.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

On a properly run NHL team, your bottom 10 players (8th-13th forwards, 5-7D, backup goalie) shouldn't cost more than $15 million combined. Jim Benning consistently tries to spend double that amount chasing 'name' veterans rather than developing guys internally and making smart pro scouting finds, and it kills us. And the veterans he signs are actually *worse* than the benchmark you'd expect for cheap homegrown types.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
On a properly run NHL team, your bottom 10 players (8th-13th forwards, 5-7D, backup goalie) shouldn't cost more than $15 million combined. Jim Benning consistently tries to spend double that amount chasing 'name' veterans rather than developing guys internally and making smart pro scouting finds, and it kills us. And the veterans he signs are actually *worse* than the benchmark you'd expect for cheap homegrown types.
Exactly. It's pretty remarkable. And, as I said, it's obviously bad without thinking hard. I am legitimately baffled as to why Aquilini lets money get thrown away.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Exactly. It's pretty remarkable. And, as I said, it's obviously bad without thinking hard. I am legitimately baffled as to why Aquilini lets money get thrown away.
The only conclusion is that he is the one pulling the strings. This management group has become a 3-headed monster with Benning, Weisbrod, and Frankie Blueberries all pulling in the same idiotic direction. He isn't "letting" them spend his money. He is directly involved in spending it.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
The only conclusion is that he is the one pulling the strings. This management group has become a 3-headed monster with Benning, Weisbrod, and Frankie Blueberries all pulling in the same idiotic direction. He isn't "letting" them spend his money. He is directly involved in spending it.
That's what I don't get. Owners don't just throw money away. And I can't believe that it's a colossal lack of competence when it's so obvious...it just makes no sense. Maybe it's just too easy to make money in real estate development.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

That's what I don't get. Owners don't just throw money away. And I can't believe that it's a colossal lack of competence when it's so obvious...it just makes no sense. Maybe it's just too easy to make money in real estate development.

It's this bizarre backward symbiotic relationship between Frankie Blueberries and Dim Jim where you have a meddling owner who needs a weak GM who will tolerate him and an absolute moron of a GM who needs this sort of incompetent ownership to have a job.

Ownership doesn't want to fire Benning because then he'd have to hire someone competent and wouldn't get to play toy and basically serve as Team President any more. So we're stuck with these two idiots forever, probably until one of them dies.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
I don't really understand it myself either but there are people who make near minimum wage who spend $10,000 a year on HUT, FUT, MUT cards in a video game that get essentially erased every year.

Each individual has their own motivations. It could be as simple as him not being validated in life and wanting to prove to everyone he can run a team.

The longer this goes on, the more broken he comes off though.

Reactions: iceburg

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't really understand it myself either but there are people who make near minimum wage who spend $10,000 a year on HUT, FUT, MUT cards in a video game that get essentially erased every year.
It's how a "game company" with the morals of an Emperor Palpatine like EA makes tons of money.

"There's a sucker born every minute".

Reactions: iceburg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's this bizarre backward symbiotic relationship between Frankie Blueberries and Dim Jim where you have a meddling owner who needs a weak GM who will tolerate him and an absolute moron of a GM who needs this sort of incompetent ownership to have a job.

Ownership doesn't want to fire Benning because then he'd have to hire someone competent and wouldn't get to play toy and basically serve as Team President any more. So we're stuck with these two idiots forever, probably until one of them dies.

Each individual has their own motivations. It could be as simple as him not being validated in life and wanting to prove to everyone he can run a team.

The longer this goes on, the more broken he comes off though.

It's how a "game company" with the morals of an Emperor Palpatine like EA makes tons of money.

"There's a sucker born every minute".

Is it really simply the self validating, ego ratifying, power temptations of the owner? It is the only explanation I guess...any solid business person acting on that alone would not let this happen.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
GMs and agents are throwing a hotdog down a hallway when they bend him over at this point.

'His agent told me he'd get lots of money' is one for the ages. I still can't get over that.

I legit thought this was a joke when I first read that on hf.

Benning: His agent said he'd get 3 years by 3.25 mil on the open market...so we gave him a 3x3.25 contract.

Insanity.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino