Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WIN] Canucks acquire 2022 3rd Round Pick for D Nate Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 1, 2011
What do Schmidt's advance stats on the RS look like compared to Myers?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sounds like an awful plan, if I’m being brutally honest.

I hope Petey likes not having the puck because he sure ain’t going to get it with those guys passing to him from our own end.
Would have to think this has been initiated from Schmidt if the rumors are true.

6 million for 4 more years 30-33 is a huge commitment and i have big expectations for Rathbone and feel he could take much of Schmidts role while we can re allocate Larsson into a shut down role with Edler for less 4.5 5 maybe and be able to afford to bring Hamonic back for a yr or 2 x 2.5 to bridge the lack of right side prospects in our system.

You can insulate Rathbone with Edler for a year playing with Larsson
Hughes and Hamonic can re unite. With Hughes' ability to thread the needle the point you made isn't a big factor
Rathbone can percolate with Myers and should be by mid season starting to push Edler's minutes down.

Schmidts passing isn't his strength but agree he would be better than Larsson at contributing to the offense. Collectively Hamonic AND Larsson could contribute more than Schmidt and a million extra in cap space without a shrewd signing who can play with Hughes.

I wouldn't be actively trying to move the best all around d man from last year if he was interested in rebounding and helping the team right the ship though. As others have said that would be left for Myers

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Ah yes Bennings annual "rebuild the defense and accidentally end up making it worse".

This is a summer tradition. Every year he focuses in on the defense... and makes it worse than the last year.

Him or RR seems inevitable
I would literally rather trade the 9th overall for RR than get OEL for for Eriksson.

I mean I'd rather do neither obviously but the disaster of OEL can hardly be understated.

We should be exposing Myers in the expansion draft rather than looking to dump Schmidt.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
How legit is this source?

If it's true....Unreal how Myers is viewed as some sort of a core guy by this coaching staff/management and yet they give up on Schmidt after one underwhelming season.

That being said, with Green returning, I think it honestly might be best to trade Schmidt, his value will go even lower in this passive system. Might as well give Green some dmen who are comfortable with playing in a collapse to the net style of hockey. Edler was the only one looked comfortable playing that system so I guess you just try to find more guys like him.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
"The contract is bad"
"A lot of commitment to term"

Myers has 3 more f***ing years left.
Pearson got a 3 year extension.
Ferland has 2 more years left.
Idiot GM chased OEL with 7 years 8.25mil per year.

You have 3 useless plugs with term but sure...Schmidt, the best of the bunch has too much term.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
OEL incoming

Seriously, I think we need to prepare ourselves for this.

• Jim Benning prioritized acquiring OEL last off-season above all else. It's clear that the Canucks value him greatly.
  • They only turned to Nate Schmidt after that Arizona trade fell-apart.
  • Using that logic, it's reasonable to deduce that the Canucks value OEL more than Nate Schmidt. They will jump at the opportunity to exchange the two.

Shit winds are blowing.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
not horribly opposed to the idea assuming we can get someone younger with a lesser cap hit back. Problem is we need more D, not less. And I really think last year was a write-off for many reasons, can't judge much evenly -- starting with that ridiculously compressed schedule, through key injuries thru the worst covid outbreak in the NHL ... all excuses, yes, but they are a better team than they showed last year, and many nights I thought Schmidt was their best D. I'd like to see him kept and the D corps added to personally. Short of getting Edler and Hamonic back for no more than $4M combined I dont see anything in UFA. Target guys teams cant protect from Seattle, like Jake Bean, maybe Anderson or Hanafin (assuming Flames protect both Gio and Tanev), maybe even Holl or Dermott....etc

Reactions: Love

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It seems most disagree with this, but I don’t think it’s necessarily the worst idea depending on what the return is.

He’s 30 and signed for 4 more years at $6mil aav. We have Hughes and Rathbone as left shot smooth skating puck movers who will be here long term. I like Schmidt, but trading him could work out for us. Again it depends what we get back.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
But we need MORE defenders who can play the right side... Not less...

He had a meh season but I'd still argue he was our best all around defender which is really sad. Why move him unless his value has somehow increased a lot from the last time he was traded? I wouldn't be happy moving him for a third

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Love to try and trade players after an uncharacteristically bad season who will likely flourish in a proper system. Selling low, but luckily we didn't buy high.

Clearing his cap would be a net benefit long term, but absolutely the wrong $6MM defender is on the block.

Hard to see how this team is going to take a step forward next season.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Nobody wants to be here. I think there’s a big culture problem in the room. These guys don’t seem like a tight knit group at all. Gaudette stuff, virtanen is an idiot, Schmidt wants to leave after 1 year.
Questionable leadership group.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
less than a day after the hawks are reportedly trying to move a $5.5 million dman, we are reportedly trying to move a $6m dman out of their lineup.

one possibility is we are in on keith and trying to make room.

another possibility is both the canucks and hawks are trying to make room on their defence for a player who is available. the most logical player would be barrie.

a further possibility is that either an agent or a gm is putting the info out there to influence a negotiation. for example, a gm who i negotiating with barrie's agent is making sure barrie knows the gm has other options.

the source for the keith rumour is friedman. the source for the schmidt rumour is pagnotta. neither are reporters covering specific teams.

Reactions: Fatass

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I mean, is it really a big loss? He certainly wasn't worth $6 million to this team. Let him go play somewhere where he can play to his potential and give Rathbone his offensive minutes. We could better spend that money on a defensive partner for Hughes.

Rathbone is a LD. It will be hard enough for a rookie D-man to step into a regular role on a weak defensive NHL team let alone trying to turn him onto a RD. We know Green hates to play a opposite hand shot on D. It's RHS on the right and LHS on the left. Who will play in Jack's spot the second he makes a mistake and Green benches him? That's on either side of the pairing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Schmidt was our only plus dman up until the team came from the COVID layoff. Sad how this trade back fired. He was a good dman in the Vegas series. I think he’s ok but overpaid.
100% agree. I don’t know if Schmidt is even worth what we paid for him now.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Nobody wants to be here. I think there’s a big culture problem in the room. These guys don’t seem like a tight knit group at all. Gaudette stuff, virtanen is an idiot, Schmidt wants to leave after 1 year.
Questionable leadership group.

I shake my head at this approach. You choose to use as evidence that leadership is an issue by pointing to the fact that Virtanen is an idiot, Schmidt wants to leave after a year living in isolation (and we don't know he wants to leave), and "All the Gaudette stuff"? What Gaudette stuff?

Leadership may very well be an issue, and there may be a problem in the room; but these examples you used are backwards. I would say that Virtanen behaviour not being accepted by leadership, that Schmidt past behavioural challenges potentially not fitting into this room, and that Gaudette not fitting in may actually speak well of this leadership group rather than the other way around.

"Nobody wants to be here" is a significant stretch. There are clearly many many players who state they want to be here, including guys they let go recently, like Tanev, Tofoli, and Stetcher!?!

But maybe I just fell into your trap of trying to evoke a reaction to one of your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad