Confirmed with Link: [VAN/WIN] Canucks acquire 2022 3rd Round Pick for D Nate Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Really like Schmidt. I can't see a way to make the cap work but if we could I'd love to see him in an Oilers jersey.

Edit: oh sorry I thought this was a main board thread. I'll get out of here now :)

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I remember watching Vegas play the Canucks in last years playoffs. I was watching Nate Schmidt very closely, saying to myself he is a very good defenseman, so positionally sound. Great leadership skills, and quite the character in the lockerroom. I sure wish we had him on the Canucks. Then boom I heard Benning was offered up a steal of a deal for him "3rd rounder", I was jumping for joy. Trading away Schmidt after one season, I feel will be a huge mistake.

Besides Myers should be the first 6 million dollar defenseman to go.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This was entirely expected.

Twas a weird acquisition to begin with and IMO only completed because it was offered and the market was seething after losing Marky, Toffoli, Stecher, and Tanev on day one of Free Agency. Didn't fit the coach or the GM's MO.

Cannot see a world where the Canucks get the 3rd they gave up for him back without bringing salary back.....there's no way he's worth more after the season he just had.

Reactions: Foundational Player

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Honestly if Benning could nab a good forward or decent asset for Schmidt and then sign Larsson and Hamonic to solid deals this could work out ok.
Spoiler alert, it's not going to work out.
Gonna be another bottom 10 finish.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is a surprise...If true, they must have their eyes on another D man...Right now we have Myers, Hughes (once he's signed),and inexperienced Rathbone and Juolevi..

Maybe they're getting out the hammer and tongs, and they're going to redo the D .

Its like musical chairs though,..once the music stops, you need to get a seat....Cant be 'running out of time' this off season

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
The guy had 65% D zone starts this year, and Jim is wondering why he "looked bad", in a system where the forwards don't support the D...

Actually, is hockey-reference.com really off? It says Myers also started 61.6% in the D zone as well, haha. I guess we were getting caved in with possession metrics, but that seems off, given they weren't on the same pairing.

Reactions: bh53

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Technically as long as we get a better return that a 3rd it's a win. But I'd much rather just let a good Damn like him learn to thrive on the Cancuks whether than watching him succeed elsewhere when we all know that will happen.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Why would they not wait to see how he goes under Brad Shaw? Just seems like a very weird move and the only logical reason this has come up is because Schmidt wants out.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
A player can be on the blocked and not be traded.... I think this has to do with our logjam of Left handed dman and the potential of a trade for another Dman who has a lower cap hit

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He had an awful year for him, but this is sad to see considering he was one of our better defenders. I fully expect to get a mid-2nd round pick for him. Not that I'd be thrilled with that.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Did Benning not just say Schmidt didn't request a trade and didn't know where those rumors came from?

I'd take this with a grain of salt. But if it's true.. screw Schmidt if he's going to let one stupid covid season be his decision maker. Send him to Buffalo. :naughty:

Reactions: flying v 604

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Technically as long as we get a better return that a 3rd it's a win. But I'd much rather just let a good Damn like him learn to thrive on the Cancuks whether than watching him succeed elsewhere when we all know that will happen.
True, but Schmidt also influenced the Toffoli/Tanev/Marky decisions. You could argue that they have invested way more than just a 3rd round pick in this player.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I have no problem trading Schmidt, but as always it depends on the return...his value will probably rise substantially if you wait until after the expansion draft. He's a good defenseman, but I don't like his fit into our group.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
True, but Schmidt also influenced the Toffoli/Tanev/Marky decisions. You could argue that they have invested way more than just a 3rd round pick in this player.

Tanev and Marky were unsigned because they wanted to much length on there contract. Toffoli was the only one directly impacted

Reactions: ChilliBilly

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Who cares. I never liked him anyways because he wasn’t big or strong enough.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly if Benning could nab a good forward or decent asset for Schmidt and then sign Larsson and Hamonic to solid deals this could work out ok.
Sounds like an awful plan, if I’m being brutally honest.

I hope Petey likes not having the puck because he sure ain’t going to get it with those guys passing to him from our own end.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
"Sigh", Schmidt will get traded and look superb with whatever new team he plays for. I for one think he had an off year, and still think he is a very important piece to this team. Once traded I feel Nate will be added to the list of players we regret giving away "Toffoli, Tanev, Stecher".

Not an off year. An off coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad