Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TOR] Sam Lafferty to the Canucks for a 5th round pick

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Demko is "pushing 30 soon" - the guy turned 28 4 days ago.
And apparently Woll at 25 and a half years old and a whopping 26 career games under his belt has ‘similar career stats’ to Demko.

Both teams look pretty close in terms of strength and the standings reflect that. That said, neither team looks like a legitimate contender this year but are solid playoff teams.

Reactions: SiZ and D0ctorCool

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
there are adults that care about management. those people care about a trade that made the team worse. If you avoid that thread on your boards, you'll have fans that whine only about their own players. Its an established hockey forum, most fans here know only half the game is played on the ice, the other half of it is played in the management suites.
I wouldn't say the trade made them worse. I think it depends on the balance you are going for with your lines. At the end of the day Laffarty would be playing on the 4th line here, and would only move up if injuries arise. Who in our top 9 would drop down to make room for him? Literally no one. The leafs would have had to let Kampf walk or not sign Reeves to keep him. But that's all hindsight 20/20.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Seems to be quite a bit of regional obsession going on here, I think we can all agree that this trade worked out for the Canucks.

Not sure this thread needs to continue on in this manner.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I like to crap on Canucks here and there, but I think Van has the most ES goals this year and they have the most Reg wins in the NHL at 17.

Toronto has 7 Reg wins
...1 more than ANA and SJ. Their record is inflated from circus time, which does not happen in the playoffs. It is 5 on 5. LIke 5 OT losses and 4 SO wins.

I would pick Vancouver as having more potential success than Toronto right now.

It boggles my mind that Brad T got a job int he biggest hockey market after sinking CGY. He was atrocious.

just remove myers, soucy, cole, friedmen, juulsen or playing injured just for fun, i dont think vancouver who be in a playoff spot

after 7 game already 3 of 7 top 7 already injured, since the beggining only rielly and brodie stayed healthy

number of game missed by leafs top 7 and where leafs needed to usa AHLer= 30 if you add the fact than klinberg played with an hip injury ( since game 4 vs florida) and wasn't able to move adequatly and have huge impact in his game.

number of game missed by vancouver top 7= 4

i think with same kind of scenary for Vancouver, just staying still fighting for a playoff spot would be great for them but toronto despite it still 7th in win % in NHL. I know it was not sexy or whatever, but despite evwrything against them, they find a way to win, something proven by the past they was not able to...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Our top goalie this year is the guy with the exact same sv% as yours...

Rielly is our top D... Hughes is better, but the gap between our forwards makes up for that.

Vancouver hasn't even proven they can make the playoffs with this team and you are talking about playoffs?
Yours have proven they can do nothing but disappoint in the playoffs, at least since the 60s.

By the way, Nylander and Matthews are 11 and 24 in scoring, Miller, Pettersson and Boeser are 2, 7 and 16. We have a defender out scoring each of your next two forwards, too, with Marner (34), and Tavares (45) being out scored by Hughes (10) and Hronek (40) by more of a factor than either is out scoring Mikheyev. Plus the depth of Domi, Bertuzzi and who ever you found in your parking lot to play bottom six minutes versus Hog, Kuzmenko, Lafferty, Garland and our randos, and I really don't think there is a case to make that Toronto has better forwards than Vancouver this year.

I find it funny that two of our non stars are Leafs alumni too, cast out to accomodate the lower scoring stars. Maybe the Leafs are structurally built like a kids tree house afterall.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
just remove myers, soucy, cole, friedmen, juulsen or playing injured just for fun, i dont think vancouver who be in a playoff spot

after 7 game already 3 of 7 top 7 already injured, since the beggining only rielly and brodie stayed healthy

number of game missed by leafs top 7 and where leafs needed to usa AHLer= 30 if you add the fact than klinberg played with an hip injury ( since game 4 vs florida) and wasn't able to move adequatly and have huge impact in his game.

number of game missed by vancouver top 7= 4

i think with same kind of scenary for Vancouver, just staying still fighting for a playoff spot would be great for them but toronto despite it still 7th in win % in NHL. I know it was not sexy or whatever, but despite evwrything against them, they find a way to win, something proven by the past they was not able to...
Soucy alone has missed more than 4 games and he is top 4 so you’re cherry picking stats on this one.
We can all play what if games.
The fact is both teams are approximately equal in win %.If you want to play ‘what if’ though, if the Leafs hadn’t taken advantage of the shoot out/loser points then Canucks would be ahead and the Leafs out of a playoff spot.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yours have proven they can do nothing but disappoint in the playoffs, at least since the 60s.

By the way, Nylander and Matthews are 11 and 24 in scoring, Miller, Pettersson and Boeser are 2, 7 and 16. We have a defender out scoring each of your next two forwards, too, with Marner (34), and Tavares (45) being out scored by Hughes (10) and Hronek (40) by more of a factor than either is out scoring Mikheyev. Plus the depth of Domi, Bertuzzi and who ever you found in your parking lot to play bottom six minutes versus Hog, Kuzmenko, Lafferty, Garland and our randos, and I really don't think there is a case to make that Toronto has better forwards than Vancouver this year.

I find it funny that two of our non stars are Leafs alumni too, cast out to accomodate the lower scoring stars. Maybe the Leafs are structurally built like a kids tree house afterall.

why do Vancouver fans bring up cups? You haven't won since 1915...

"Ya, but we went to the finals and trashed our own city like children"

I know you guys are just mad that you're not relevant enough to play home games at 7pm when we come into town, but come on...

Vancouver is definitely built like a top team... they have the same pt% as Toronto

You can list off as many high scoring players as you want but as a team they aren't getting any more points than Toronto.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Soucy alone has missed more than 4 games and he is top 4 so you’re cherry picking stats on this one.
We can all play what if games.
The fact is both teams are approximately equal in win %.If you want to play ‘what if’ though, if the Leafs hadn’t taken advantage of the shoot out/loser points then Canucks would be ahead and the Leafs out of a playoff spot.

i talked about game without anyone of top 7 D in the line up...

When youre playing but 50% of your line up in D are not your starting line up, for sure that will hurt you. Thats what i said but at the end, they found a way to stay in all those game and find a way to win it.

tampa just lost vasilevskiy, johansson step in and gave up a similar game than samsonov and right now they are 11th in the east % pts and at risk to miss playoff.

3 of 6 team favorite in east are actually out of playoff picture and at risk to miss playoff...

its certainly not the way they was hoping before start of season for but considering all those injuries in D + Samsonov struggling really hard... probably everyone would sign it anytime with that kind of start whatever how they got those win.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
i talked about game without anyone of top 7 D in the line up...

When youre playing but 50% of your line up in D are not your starting line up, for sure that will hurt you. Thats what i said but at the end, they found a way to stay in all those game and find a way to win it.

tampa just lost vasilevskiy, johansson step in and gave up a similar game than samsonov and right now they are 11th in the east % pts and at risk to miss playoff.

3 of 6 team favorite in east are actually out of playoff picture and at risk to miss playoff...

its certainly not the way they was hoping before start of season for but considering all those injuries in D + Samsonov struggling really hard... probably everyone would sign it anytime with that kind of start whatever how they got those win.
No argument there. Both teams have faced challenges with the Canucks having the heaviest game load at this point in the season and also suffering some key injuries.
Overall I see both teams at a similar level. Solid playoff teams but still missing some key pieces on D to challenge the top teams.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
No argument there. Both teams have faced challenges with the Canucks having the heaviest game load at this point in the season and also suffering some key injuries.
Overall I see both teams at a similar level. Solid playoff teams but still missing some key pieces on D to challenge the top teams.
yeah for sure leafs need a #2 dman no doubt about it

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
why do Vancouver fans bring up cups? You haven't won since 1915...

"Ya, but we went to the finals and trashed our own city like children"

I know you guys are just mad that you're not relevant enough to play home games at 7pm when we come into town, but come on...

Vancouver is definitely built like a top team... they have the same pt% as Toronto

You can list off as many high scoring players as you want but as a team they aren't getting any more points than Toronto.
Who said cups? I said playoffs. It's a much lower bar and the team still can't do anything but fail.

Name something worth trashing in Toronto. I'll wait. Two riots means two more Cup finals then the Leafs in the same period. Three if we even count that non riot finals against the Isles, way back. How's that crackhead mayor and PM, while we're hitting references at their peak, by the way?

You have a higher population in an earlier time zone, congrats. We have a fan base that doesn't use start time as a status and can afford a change in our schedule with our screeching too.

Toronto is built like a paper mache castle. One injury to Nylander and they will collapse into a black hole like they do every year. Vancouver has those points without needing nearly as much over time though, so, yeah, that sounds like a lot more collapsing.

As high energy and, uh, "clever" as you're being....you're still coming into a thread to piss and moan about a fourth line player your team gave away for almost nothing because of how heavily invested in players that are performing below their cap hit. It's a good look, keep it up.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

This comment is the epitome of why no one likes Leaf fan complex. A truly degenerative disease that plagues HF.

Like it doesn't hurt my feelings or ruin my day but you have people shaking their head and laughing at this type of mentality.

Now stare in the mirror and repeat:
We are Leaf fans
We are the most important hockey team of all
We are the center of the hockey universe
Repeat*

Reactions: SiZ and Cogburn

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Canucks Fans, at least you cannot touch our 5th round pick.

There is still no way of saying who won this trade unless you own a time machine.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Canucks Fans, at least you cannot touch our 5th round pick.

There is still no way of saying who won this trade unless you own a time machine.
I'm back from the future. The pick becomes Neville Poofterbottom, who became first ballot HHOF and broke every record, including goaltending records as a forward.

Damn, crafty Treliving.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Every time I see the red header with “confirmed trade: Van” I get excited that something new happened :wally

Reactions: andora

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Toronto is built like a paper mache castle. One injury to Nylander and they will collapse into a black hole like they do every year. Vancouver has those points without needing nearly as much over time though, so, yeah, that sounds like a lot more collapsing.

As high energy and, uh, "clever" as you're being....you're still coming into a thread to piss and moan about a fourth line player your team gave away for almost nothing because of how heavily invested in players that are performing below their cap hit. It's a good look, keep it up.

5v5 playoff production /60 min played amount core 4 last 2 playoff

1-Matthews at 2,34
2- Marner at 2,32
3- Tavares at 1,69
4- Nylander at 1,39

% of the time on ice goal for ev g / 5v5 only
1- Marner 47% / 1-marner 49%
2- Matthews 40% / 2-Matthews 40%
3- nylander 33% / 3- jt 26%
4-tavares 30% / 4- nylander 23%

% of the time goal against
1- marner 1-29 % / Marner 24%
2-Matthews 33%/ 2- matthews/jt 30 %
3- Tavares 33% / 4- nylander 35%
4- Nylander 40%

total primary point ( goal + A1)
1- Marner 15
2-Matthews 13
3- Tavares/Nylander 13

the funny thing its see fan reacting like nylander had been by far leafs best player when in the reality he had been the worst at 5v5

best serie leafs played was in 2022, When Toronto played a full serie under keefe with Muzzin healthy all serie long...

montreal they syarted to struggle when Muzzin ger hurt.

if leafs can fix that #2 d spot, they will be much better than what s lot of people thinking, if they not probably we've gonna see the same result this season

ps notbias is like an extremist fan who think like everything Dubas did was gold and everything everyone else did was just trash

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Who said cups? I said playoffs. It's a much lower bar and the team still can't do anything but fail.

Name something worth trashing in Toronto. I'll wait. Two riots means two more Cup finals then the Leafs in the same period. Three if we even count that non riot finals against the Isles, way back. How's that crackhead mayor and PM, while we're hitting references at their peak, by the way?

You have a higher population in an earlier time zone, congrats. We have a fan base that doesn't use start time as a status and can afford a change in our schedule with our screeching too.

You are bragging about losing in the finals? LOL.
Cool be proud of that. Doesn’t surprise me from a fan base that keep bumping a thread to try to troll about winning a trade for a 4th liner. Even though a bunch of us told you that you would be happy with the player when you were all crying about giving up another draft pick.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
5v5 playoff production /60 min played amount core 4 last 2 playoff

1-Matthews at 2,34
2- Marner at 2,32
3- Tavares at 1,69
4- Nylander at 1,39

% of the time on ice goal for ev g / 5v5 only
1- Marner 47% / 1-marner 49%
2- Matthews 40% / 2-Matthews 40%
3- nylander 33% / 3- jt 26%
4-tavares 30% / 4- nylander 23%

% of the time goal against
1- marner 1-29 % / Marner 24%
2-Matthews 33%/ 2- matthews/jt 30 %
3- Tavares 33% / 4- nylander 35%
4- Nylander 40%

total primary point ( goal + A1)
1- Marner 15
2-Matthews 13
3- Tavares/Nylander 13

the funny thing its see fan reacting like nylander had been by far leafs best player when in the reality he had been the worst at 5v5

best serie leafs played was in 2022, When Toronto played a full serie under keefe with Muzzin healthy all serie long...

montreal they syarted to struggle when Muzzin ger hurt.

if leafs can fix that #2 d spot, they will be much better than what s lot of people thinking, if they not probably we've gonna see the same result this season

ps notbias is like an extremist fan who think like everything Dubas did was gold and everything everyone else did was just trash
I wonder what the production looks like for games 5-6-7 or even just elimination games.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I wonder what the production looks like for games 5-6-7 or even just elimination games.

nylander had 1 5v5 goal and 3 primary points ( goal + A1) in his last 21 playoff game, thats including game 5 6 7 vs mtl, gm 2022 2023 playoff, his only goal was in the last 5 minute vs florida gm5. thats why i just dont know how we can say nylander had been so great in playoff...

ps elimination game are not more important than any game... if you just starting to play hard game 5-6-7 whatever what you doing gm 5 6 7 you will play at best 43% of good game and at worst you will be already out.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nice pickup by Vancouver.

They do pretty well with the scraps that can't make the Leafs' roster. Well done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad