Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TOR] Sam Lafferty to the Canucks for a 5th round pick

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I honestly wonder if Treliving gets fired this summer. When you look at the outcome of his Calgary build, and how wrong he got everything this summer, surely Shanahan wants a mulligan.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You literally chose a guy who probably couldn't take a regular shift in the ECHL over a guy who will score 15 goals this year as a key player on a good team, at the same cap hits.
No, I didn't. I also don't know how many goals Gregor will get.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No, I didn't. I also don't know how many goals Gregor will get.

Your management group did.

Gregor is not even close to as good as Lafferty, either.

That offseason was a freaking disaster for your team. You had $15 million to re-set and blew it on a bunch of junk, and traded away a guy for nothing who is better than anyone you acquired with that $15 million. And now you're further away from a Cup than you were before and with a bottom-10 blueline in the NHL that window is getting smaller and smaller.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

That offseason was a freaking disaster for your team. You had $15 million to re-set and blew it on a bunch of junk, and traded away a guy for nothing who is better than anyone you acquired with that $15 million. And now you're further away from a Cup than you were before and with a bottom-10 blueline in the NHL that window is getting smaller and smaller.
It hasn't been a disaster at all. The only guy the Leafs traded was Lafferty and that was for a 5th round pick which is of course better than losing him on waivers. Klingberg turned out to be a bad signing, but that solved itself with the unfortunate injury, the others after slow starts have been coming along. We also don't know how far away the team is from the Cup- the team is just playing its 25th game tonight.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It hasn't been a disaster at all. The only guy the Leafs traded was Lafferty and that was for a 5th round pick which is of course better than losing him on waivers. Klingberg turned out to be a bad signing, but that solved itself with the unfortunate injury, the others after slow starts have been coming along. We also don't know how far away the team is from the Cup- the team is just playing its 25th game tonight.

Klingberg was horrific and you then lucked out with his injury situation.

Reaves has been a joke.

Domi has 1 goal in 25 games.

Bertuzzi is on pace for 30 points for $5.5 million.

You spent $14 million and didn't upgrade anywhere and made your already old/bad blueline even worse.

And, again, you gave away a better player than any of the ones you acquired.

That's a disaster. You needed a big move forward and instead have taken a big step back, and your goaltending/defense is some of the worst in the NHL.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Klingberg was horrific and you then lucked out with his injury situation.

Reaves has been a joke.

Domi has 1 goal in 25 games.

Bertuzzi is on pace for 30 points for $5.5 million.

You spent $14 million and didn't upgrade anywhere and made your already old/bad blueline even worse.

And, again, you gave away a better player than any of the ones you acquired.

That's a disaster. You needed a big move forward and instead have taken a big step back, and your goaltending/defense is some of the worst in the NHL.
Yup, Klingburg has been a bad signing.
Reaves started off slow, but he has been ok
Bertuzzi has been better lately
Domi has 13 points

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

Geez this may be a bit of an overreaction.

The Leafs are 4th in the Eastern Conference and gave played 2 less games than any team in the conference minus Ottawa (who's last).

We all liked Lafferty and many of us didn't want to see him go for Reaves (he's an awful player). Obviously he's much better. However, Domi has been excellent as 3C, Bertuzzi started poorly but has been much better lately, and Gregor has been very good in his role as 4LW.

Klingberg didn't work, but Treliving gets a reset on that by moving him to LTIR for the remainder of the year. We will see what he does with that space, which I think will be important for this team moving forward.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the hornek thread at least wings fans happy hronek is doing well.

leafs fans not likin Canucks got a useful player out of a 5th round pick.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Who has been better since coming to Vancouver?

Lafferty vs Mikheyev?

They have both found some really good success in different roles since they have joined the nucks. Is there much difference?

Edit: obviously soup has had some injuries which have held him back.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who has been better since coming to Vancouver?

Lafferty vs Mikheyev?

They have both found some really good success in different roles since they have joined the nucks. Is there much difference?

Edit: obviously soup has had some injuries which have held him back.
Both have been solid. Last years Canucks team was way too slow. Both of these guys can fly and have chipped in with lots of key goals too.
Lafferty I’d say is better bang for the buck as he brings an energy the team really needs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

It's crazy how bad the Leafs did this offseason and yet are still pacing the same as Vancouver... what does that say about them?

By the way, I am in the camp that thinks giving away Lafferty was dumb.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's crazy how bad the Leafs did this offseason and yet are still pacing the same as Vancouver... what does that say about them?

One of those teams has gotten much closer to being a legitimate contender in the last 12 months and the other has gotten further away.

You have terrific star forwards at the top of your roster. It’s going to win you hockey games in the regular season (although not so much in regulation, apparently). You’ll finish with 100 points.

But that defense/goaltending? It’s bottom-10 in the league and it’s absolutely crazy that you spent 14 million on Klingberg/middle-6 wingers/goon instead of some defenders who can chew through mid-high leverage minutes so you aren’t relying on Calgary’s fossilized top pairing from a decade ago.

Reactions: bh53

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Expectations were significantly different coming into the season. But then you probably were fishing for reactions anyways.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
One of those teams has gotten much closer to being a legitimate contender in the last 12 months and the other has gotten further away.

You have terrific star forwards at the top of your roster. It’s going to win you hockey games in the regular season (although not so much in regulation, apparently). You’ll finish with 100 points.

But that defense/goaltending? It’s bottom-10 in the league and it’s absolutely crazy that you spent 14 million on Klingberg/middle-6 wingers/goon instead of some defenders who can chew through mid-high leverage minutes so you aren’t relying on Calgary’s fossilized top pairing from a decade ago.

See, I think Vancouver is constructed poorly and is riding crazy luck right now... so I guess we just see the game differently... they are still a worse team than the Leafs...

Expectations were significantly different coming into the season. But then you probably were fishing for reactions anyways.

I agree... Vancouver doesn't have the same quality of players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad