Proposal: (VAN/TOR) Jett Woo, Brendan Leipsic for Andreas Johnsson and Justin Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think there are a lot of Vancouver hurt feelings in this thread. I suppose my wording of "throw in" has created this notion that I don't value Woo. I am certainly disappointed that Johnsson is not "lighting it up" in the NHL this season. I suppose the first opportunity one of TOR's wingers gets injured that he'll play up in the line-up and do better. I do value Johnsson and am disappointed his opportunity is only being on a 4th line unit. When I say "disappointed" I mean that he is capable of more, but probably not on TOR. So this trade is for Leipsic (4th line utility Winger), Woo (uncertain that his abilities are good enough for the NHL), FOR Holl (a bottom 6D), and Johnsson (a top 9 NHL winger).

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I think there are a lot of Vancouver hurt feelings in this thread. I suppose my wording of "throw in" has created this notion that I don't value Woo. I am certainly disappointed that Johnsson is not "lighting it up" in the NHL this season. I suppose the first opportunity one of TOR's wingers gets injured that he'll play up in the line-up and do better. I do value Johnsson and am disappointed his opportunity is only being on a 4th line unit. When I say "disappointed" I mean that he is capable of more, but probably not on TOR. So this trade is for Leipsic (4th line utility Winger), Woo (uncertain that his abilities are good enough for the NHL), FOR Holl (a bottom 6D), and Johnsson (a top 9 NHL winger).

Wow! Then why would you even propose the trade? If the Canucks were screwing over the Leafs so much, why would you think the trade would be suitable for both teams?

From the Canuck standpoint, Johnsson hasn't shown that he is a top 9 NHL winger in his introduction to the NHL. He's a solid AHLer at this point. Holl would not be the Canucks 6th defenseman. Granted the Canucks blueline isn't good, but he would still be behind the 7 defensemen they're currently carrying on their roster. Neither have any interest for the Canucks.

Yes, it annoys me when you worded Woo as a "throw in" because from my viewpoint, he's the most valuable piece in the deal.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Looks at the standings.....shrugs.....moves to the next thread.
Pretty rich comment from a fan base with 50 years of nothing. Now after being a ditch dweller for the better part of 5 decades you are pulling out the look at the standings for a Detroit fan??

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Hurt feelings - no. Lack of understanding of another teams (Vancouver in this case) needs and an attempt to get what you are after with complete disregard for a team and players you obviously have never (of very seldom) watched. Once there was a strong no you thought it prudent to continue to push your agenda using bias opinions. Even your verbiage Leipsic (4th line utility winger), Johnsson (top 9 winger) shows an opinionated bias. It would be just as fair to call Holl a ahl dman and Johnsson a utility 4th liner. So hurt feelings, no. Frustration for another Leaf proposal that does nothing for the other team and then the need to continue to force a skewed opinion would be a more accurate sentiment.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Pretty rich comment from a fan base with 50 years of nothing. Now after being a ditch dweller for the better part of 5 decades you are pulling out the look at the standings for a Detroit fan??
Maybe the Detroit fan shouldn't be throwing shade? Just sayin'....

You won't find me taking shots at any fans above or below the Leafs in the standings unprovoked. But i have every right to respond to posts like that.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Hurt feelings - no. Lack of understanding of another teams (Vancouver in this case) needs and an attempt to get what you are after with complete disregard for a team and players you obviously have never (of very seldom) watched. Once there was a strong no you thought it prudent to continue to push your agenda using bias opinions. Even your verbiage Leipsic (4th line utility winger), Johnsson (top 9 winger) shows an opinionated bias. It would be just as fair to call Holl a ahl dman and Johnsson a utility 4th liner. So hurt feelings, no. Frustration for another Leaf proposal that does nothing for the other team and then the need to continue to force a skewed opinion would be a more accurate sentiment.

I'm quoting this because I can only like it once.

I'm a Leafs fan, predominantly. But I get pretty annoyed by some of the posts on the trade board by other Leafs fans.

Reactions: jimslob

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'm quoting this because I can only like it once.

I'm a Leafs fan, predominantly. But I get pretty annoyed by some of the posts on the trade board by other Leafs fans.
I agree, i do wish the amount of Leafs fans (in many threads) that acknowledge the deal is bad for the other teams would offset some of the "stupid Leafs fans!!" comments though....but it is what it is.

Reactions: zaqq

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Maybe the Detroit fan shouldn't be throwing shade? Just sayin'....

You won't find me taking shots at any fans above or below the Leafs in the standings unprovoked. But i have every right to respond to posts like that.
As a Leaf fan you can't honestly expect other fan bases to not throw shade. This entire board is a platform for ill-informed Leaf fans to throw shade - maybe not your MO but it is essentially a black hole of throwing shade.

Just saw your latest post - You understand, my comment is withdrawn

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As a Leaf fan you can't honestly expect other fan bases to not throw shade. This entire board is a platform for ill-informed Leaf fans to throw shade - maybe not your MO but it is essentially a black hole of throwing shade.
So what you are saying is it was ok for the Wings fan to take his shot, but you felt so strongly about me responding that you decided to call me out? Got it...makes sense.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
of all the pieces there, if i could have one for free it would be Woo, Followed by Holl, followed VERY closely with Leipsic, far in 4th is Andreas

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So we can ignore scouts, him dropping in the rankings, his projections because he got a WJC invite whoooooooo cares, plenty of nobodies get team Canada invites, he's one of 12 invites on one country's team. He's not in the conversation of elite or near elite for his age group which you basically need to be considered a future NHLer.

He's a long shot at best, keep digging fren.
....or we can ignore the fact he suffered injuries in his draft year and only played 44 games, or we can ignore the scouts that had him ranked in the 20-26 range, or we could ignore the fact that he has played for Canada at the Summer showcase, the U18 Worlds, the Hlinka and the U17 WHC. Or we could just ignore the fact that no one is expecting Woo to be the next Doughty but at this point in his career we are better off seeing how he will develop than we are to move him for a winger that has struggled to find his game at the NHL level and doesn't offer an upgrade to our current winger depth. We have lots of 3-4 line wingers that will not cost anything. Its about asset management and trading Johnsson for Woo is poor asset management for the canucks.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Just saw your latest post - You understand, my comment is withdrawn
The lack of awareness in this post is staggering.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Wow! Then why would you even propose the trade? If the Canucks were screwing over the Leafs so much, why would you think the trade would be suitable for both teams?

From the Canuck standpoint, Johnsson hasn't shown that he is a top 9 NHL winger in his introduction to the NHL. He's a solid AHLer at this point. Holl would not be the Canucks 6th defenseman. Granted the Canucks blueline isn't good, but he would still be behind the 7 defensemen they're currently carrying on their roster. Neither have any interest for the Canucks.

Yes, it annoys me when you worded Woo as a "throw in" because from my viewpoint, he's the most valuable piece in the deal.

This is dramatic and I am not going to explain my logic in this thread for the 5th time.

It's a fair proposal. That's why we are on page 16.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think the more angry the post the more someone is just looking at NHL.com statistics. This trade is not happening in a vacuum.

Matthews is the only significant injury for TOR and the only winger missing is Nylander. Marleau, Kapanen, Hyman, and Marner are all relatively healthy. Johnsson will eventually get his shot in the top 9. You'll finally see that he is more than a 4th liner.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
1 more NHL point than Woo will ever get. AJ was a beast in the SHL a better league that Woo has ever played in during those development years.

Your blind hate is cute.

Keep your prospect, I don't care, AJ is the only regular NHL in this proposal.

And the odds of becoming a stellar 'defensive defenseman' is what? There are back 15 in the NHL if that, Woo is going to become one of them? He had all the attention of scouts in his draft year being a projected 1st round pick and was exposed. Woo's stock is garbage.

So many things to comment on. Some of your fellow fans also said EP40 may not become a regular NHLer as recently as September so excuse me if we take opposing fans opinions with a grain of salt. AJ was good in the SHL. He was far from a beast. Yeah he’s the only regular NHLer even though Leipsic has played 50 more games. Makes sense. You’re also putting words in the mouth of Nuck fans. No one has said he’s going to become a top pairing stud. But for us to just give up on a player SIX months after drafting him because his odds aren’t great is absolutely absurd. Why even have a second round then?

It really isn't fair though....Vancouver shouldn't trade Woo in this offer.

As per usual, you actually understand. Cheers as always!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No. The comparison had to do with the fact that Rask was recently drafted.

Then it's an irrelevant comparison to make. Teams can trade players that were recently drafted, but they're not going to trade from an organizational position of weakness to add to a position with lots of depth already. Like I know Toronto is trying to build up it's D as well, so would they trade Sandin or Durzi for another Johnsson type forward?

Personally I don't have much of an opinion on Woo specifically just yet, I'm just saying it's a pointless exercise knit picking about value when from the broader organizational perspective the deal would make no sense. It's just a poor man's version of arguing the merits of say a Horvat for Marner trade. Even before you get to any value disparity it just doesn't make sense.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Then it's an irrelevant comparison to make. Teams can trade players that were recently drafted, but they're not going to trade from an organizational position of weakness to add to a position with lots of depth already. Like I know Toronto is trying to build up it's D as well, so would they trade Sandin or Durzi for another Johnsson type forward?

Personally I don't have much of an opinion on Woo specifically just yet, I'm just saying it's a pointless exercise knit picking about value when from the broader organizational perspective the deal would make no sense. It's just a poor man's version of arguing the merits of say a Horvat for Marner trade. Even before you get to any value disparity it just doesn't make sense.

"Weakness"?

Loool

You have all you need!

You have Tanev already!!!!!!!!!!

Loool

According to Canucks fans he's an untouchable / superstar.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
"Weakness"?

Loool

You have all you need!

You have Tanev already!!!!!!!!!!

Loool

According to Canucks fans he's an untouchable / superstar.

You know that you need more than one defenseman right? I figured Leaf fans would know that, since they only have one defender in their lineup.

As for Tanev being untouchable according to Canuck fans, that's a blatant lie, many want to see him traded.

As for being a superstar, you're just lying and making things up. most Canuck fans believe he is a very good #3, however on the Leafs he would be partnered with Reilly.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE Green Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad