Proposal: (VAN) Peterson for (NewJ) Hughes (1st)

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Even though they Love Peterson in Vancouver, this will bring about the Second Dawning of the Sedin's Era.

Plus; Peterson seemed to get Worse as the Season went On.

Do Both Team Do It?

There are maybe 5 guys I'd Trade Pettersson for straight up. Jack Hughes is not one of them.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Neither team does this... there's too much risk. From Vancouver's perspective, they know what they have and Petersson is very good. Could Hughes be better? Sure... but why risk it over a player that you drafted and are developing.

From New Jersey's perspective, they can market Hughes. It is (another) one of THEIR first overall picks. If they trade away Hughes and he ends up being the better player, you just lost out on that player. In these types of situations, teams get judged on the trades they do make, not the ones they didn't. There is a good probability one of the teams will come out looking bad making this gamble.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No he would not. We clear now?

Sorry other fans undervalue 1st overalls in years with two high-end 1st overall talents available. None of those players end up the player were likely getting from the pick. Nobody’s team would trade said pick unless theyre a contender so it requires massive overpayment. Youre acquiring a possibly franchise defining player - the best prospects of NJ and NYR entire lifespans. And you want to offer us parts that dont make your team feel it? You get to somehow keep your best asset in Pettersson? Not how this works.

As if Vancouver trades their only ever 1st overall for Boeser, Horvat, 10th, and ****levi. As compared to the player youre projecting when you draft them, its lesser parts.
Lol what?? I’d trade the 1st overall for that in an instant :laugh: And ****levi really?? We’re done here.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
LOL
If I'm Vancouver I want 5 conditional 1st rounders if Hughes doesn't average 1PPG in his 3rd season.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I think its absoltely hilarious when someone goes ‘I want this teams really good player but I wont give up anyone worth a damn from my team’ like as if thats how it works anywhere for anything in life haha

Devils offer Kyle Palmieri, next years 1st, and Jeremy Davies for Elias Pettersson. Oh you dont accept? Too bad its what we offered!
Man you've gotta stop going around baiting people like this.

Chill bro. Just chill. We'll get Hughes (or Kakko) and life will be good.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
wow, majority think it's titled towards New Jersey. Pettersson is smooth, flashy, with great vision and had nearly a point per game as a rookie. He'll be a top 20 player for the next several years. But people are seriously underestimating the potential of Jack Hughes. He's the best 1st overall since McDavid imo (yeah, predicting he'll be better than Matthews). And has the same attributes as Elias, small, smooth skater, flashy plays with elite anticipation. But what sets them apart, is Hughes speed and tenacity.

We saw what Pettersson can do in the NHL, but Jack Hughes remains to be seen.
This trade is a great risk for both sides, for different reasons. But if I had to choose between the 2 as my franchise player, it's Jack Hughes

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The more I think on this, the more convinced I am that I would trade Petey for Hughes. I really think Hughes will be something special. Petey is as well, but frankly as a Canuck guy I am kinda tired of watching swedes and the Jack and Quinn show intrigues me.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
wow, majority think it's titled towards New Jersey. Pettersson is smooth, flashy, with great vision and had nearly a point per game as a rookie. He'll be a top 20 player for the next several years. But people are seriously underestimating the potential of Jack Hughes. He's the best 1st overall since McDavid imo (yeah, predicting he'll be better than Matthews). And has the same attributes as Elias, small, smooth skater, flashy plays with elite anticipation. But what sets them apart, is Hughes speed and tenacity.

We saw what Pettersson can do in the NHL, but Jack Hughes remains to be seen.
This trade is a great risk for both sides, for different reasons. But if I had to choose between the 2 as my franchise player, it's Jack Hughes

Two things. First off I’m sorry, he is not a better 1OA than Matthews and this is coming from someone who thinks Matthews is vastly overrated. And second off the speed separates them? Have you seen Elias Pettersson skate?

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
No he would not. We clear now?

Sorry other fans undervalue 1st overalls in years with two high-end 1st overall talents available. None of those players end up the player were likely getting from the pick. Nobody’s team would trade said pick unless theyre a contender so it requires massive overpayment. Youre acquiring a possibly franchise defining player - the best prospects of NJ and NYR entire lifespans. And you want to offer us parts that dont make your team feel it? You get to somehow keep your best asset in Pettersson? Not how this works.

As if Vancouver trades their only ever 1st overall for Boeser, Horvat, 10th, and ****levi. As compared to the player youre projecting when you draft them, its lesser parts.

A likely 35-40 goal scorer, a 25 goal 60 point, elite defensive center, a D prospect and a top ten pick? And all under 25? That’s a package that would’ve gotten Edmonton contemplating in 2015. How on earth do you think any team wouldn’t trade the 1 OA for that?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
The marketing potential is worth it for the Canucks Organization and BUSINESS. If Hughes performs.

Canucks fans would hate it at first, but I actually like it, and here's why:

- Save an expansion spot
- Save an extra year of ELC
- Create leverage and incentivize future discount contracts for both brothers to play together like Sedin's, Staal's etc

- 1st overall trade splash-hype
- This might come across as mean, but Jack Hughes is more marketable than Elias Pettersson. It's the same reason why Marner is in way more adverts and tv spots than Matthews.
- Recapture some of that brother magic, if only on the marketing front. This is very powerful.

If the Canucks believed in Hughes, and maybe even if they could squeeze something more out of New Jersey it's a worthwhile trade. A bunch of fans would be upset, and it would likely never happen, but given my looks at Hughes, and the +'s I've mentioned, I'd do it.

Reactions: HockeyAnalystGenius

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
The more I think on this, the more convinced I am that I would trade Petey for Hughes. I really think Hughes will be something special. Petey is as well, but frankly as a Canuck guy I am kinda tired of watching swedes and the Jack and Quinn show intrigues me.
So you're tired of Swedes yet you want another brother dynamic on the Canucks?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Two things. First off I’m sorry, he is not a better 1OA than Matthews and this is coming from someone who thinks Matthews is vastly overrated. And second off the speed separates them? Have you seen Elias Pettersson skate?

Are you stating opinion or fact? At least he said his was an opinion. I won’t pretend to have followed any of these prospects before the lottery but it’s quite obvious most of the Canucks fans on here haven’t either. Enjoy your guy. We plan on enjoying ours.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
A likely 35-40 goal scorer, a 25 goal 60 point, elite defensive center, a D prospect and a top ten pick? And all under 25? That’s a package that would’ve gotten Edmonton contemplating in 2015. How on earth do you think any team wouldn’t trade the 1 OA for that?
‘Elite’ defensive center? Really now?

Devils dont need a package of more when we have the pick to draft our best prospect ever. We have talent around whoever we pick - Im not concerned with filling in cheaper positions than our top offensive producer ever which Hughes can be.

No thank you. Once again Vancouver wouldnt trade it for anything that anyone on here would consider as even plausible. So dont make it seem like its ridiculous at all

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Why are you tired of swedes?

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
‘Elite’ defensive center? Really now?

Devils dont need a package of more when we have the pick to draft our best prospect ever. We have talent around whoever we pick - Im not concerned with filling in cheaper positions than our top offensive producer ever which Hughes can be.

No thank you. Once again Vancouver wouldnt trade it for anything that anyone on here would consider as even plausible. So dont make it seem like its ridiculous at all

Yes elite defensive center. And top scorer ever?? Holy smokes. Patrik Elias was a 1000 point guy. Hughes hasn’t played yet

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00