Confirmed Trade: [VAN/LAK] Nic Dowd traded for Jordan Subban

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Here's the deal though, Ontario already has 8 defensemen, though Racine and Walker are not NHL deals. Maybe Blake will look at moving Gravel or even LaDue for some extra scoring?

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Here's the deal though, Ontario already has 8 defensemen, though Racine and Walker are not NHL deals. Maybe Blake will look at moving Gravel or even LaDue for some extra scoring?
Doubt it. I thought Martinez or Muzzin were being traded for scoring this off-season? What happened to those rumors?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
So all the Subbans get moved from the club that drafted them before hitting FA (P.K. was technically never a FA). Not a big deal as players get moved around and probably a coincidence, but interesting nonetheless.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
I'll swap you that garbage sandwich for this bucket of hair.
Dowd is a physical playmaking C that can win draws. Would allow Granlund to play in the top 9 potentially. He had a great game against the Flyers, all the chances in the world but just no luck.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't really like this for Vancouver, but maybe it'll end up like the shinkaruk trade.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dowd is a UFA this Summer (something that I'm not sure that some are factoring in) and there was almost no chance of LA re-signing him. Subban may have slim chance of becoming an NHLer, but he's 5 years younger. LA will have his rights for quite a while and probably see him as a project. It sounds like defense is what he's weakest at, and that's historically what LA has been strong at teaching its prospects. LA is also patient, especially with defensemen. If they think that you might be an NHL player down the road, they'll keep working with you until you're ~27 and the hourglass has almost run out, which is where Dowd was.

Last edited:

ellusive

Dec 21, 2009
Jordan Staal has, but not Jared Staal.

giphy.gif

Attachments

• Jordan-Subban-dark-guy-in-middle.jpg
    Jordan-Subban-dark-guy-in-middle.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 52

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Dowd is a UFA this Summer (something that I'm not sure that some are factoring in) and there was almost no chance of LA re-signing him. Subban may have slim chance of becoming an NHLer, but he's 5 years younger. LA will have his rights for quite a while and probably see him as a project. It sounds like defense is what he's weakest at, and that's historically what LA has been strong at teaching its prospects. LA is also patient, especially with defensemen. If they think that you might be an NHL player down the road, they'll keep working with you until you're ~27 and the hourglass has almost run out, which is where Dowd was.
Also, the Kings just added $640k more salary cap room, since Subban would be headed to the Reign. That probably factors in to Andreoff and Clifford coming back, and then Carter later on, while leaving some cap room at the trade dead line.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Doubt it. I thought Martinez or Muzzin were being traded for scoring this off-season? What happened to those rumors?
I doubt it too. Trading Dowd was a foregone conclusion, Stevens didnt trust him and with Jokinen and Mitchell being acquired it was only a matter of time. It's just kind of interesting considering who's already in Ontario and that the Kings wanted Subban over a mid round pick. Only way those guys go is for an upgrade, ie in a package deal. Their salaries are just too good to move.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
So all the Subbans get moved from the club that drafted them before hitting FA (P.K. was technically never a FA). Not a big deal as players get moved around and probably a coincidence, but interesting nonetheless.

They were all moved for different reasons, though.
P.K. for attitude or whatever you want to classify it as.
Malcolm on waivers.
Jordan because he didn't play well in the AHL and had a bad training camp.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
From the Kings perspective, I think this was just Blake doing Dowd a favor so that he goes to a team where he might get some playing time.

same thing from the canucks' perspective. subban had a poor camp and then a poor season start in utica. i think he needs a new place and new people to interact with. he could be a steal if it clicks for him and he learns to play defence. unfortunately, there is no hyperbole in that sentence. over the summer i in theory wanted the guy to see some nhl games to see if that could move him forward. then i saw him preseason and that plan ended immediately.

i think guys traded like this are perhaps in the right frame of mind to start over with new coaches and sytem. i sure hope that works for subban. really nice kid.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
At this point, Subban was a depreciating asset. It was obvious he wasn't going to make it here, much like Pouliot wasn't going to make it in Pitts. He got spent for a meh player that might help a little now.

But I'm not holding my breath on Dowd. The scouting reports I heard on the radio today said the guy is a high risk give a way machine. They say he still plays a bit of college game, and well, that's not exactly a glowing report.

If Subban turns into something, good for him. Vancouver just wasn't in the cards.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not much of a comparison between Pouliot and Subban....Pouliot was a top-10 pick in 2012, while Subban was a fourth-rounder who's never played an NHL game.....if his name wasn't 'Subban' I doubt may Canuck fans would even be paying much attention. Interesting that Subban was a healthy scratch in Utica last year and so far has been deleted a couple of times this year....his coach last year?...Travis Green, the current Canuck bench boss.

Subban is an RFA after this season and there's no way they were qualifying him....and Dowd is apparently a UFA who will really have to step up to earn another contract......really a nothing for nothing trade from the looks of it.....Dowd temporarily plugs a gaping hole down the middle for VanCity with Horvat and Sutter out. That's about it.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Not much of a comparison between Pouliot and Subban....Pouliot was a top-10 pick in 2012, while Subban was a fourth-rounder who's never played an NHL game.....if his name wasn't 'Subban' I doubt may Canuck fans would even be paying much attention.

Ummm... I was comparing that the situation is similar to Pouliot's, not that the players are similar. Big difference.

Both are players who weren't going to get a chance with the current team so they got traded for an asset, because they were probably going to lose them for nothing.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Good offensive vision, defensive zone disaster.

Should've just convert Subban to a winger then.

Besides, with Sedin, Sutter, Gagner, and Gaunce, there are enough Cs to fill out the lines.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
He's a good play maker, throws big hits, and he struggles with consistency. His play making ability is very solid, but he is prone to making idiotic plays defensively. He never got a good look on the Kings either. He can be a good pick up if he cleans up his game and gets confident.

What about Jordan here?

Actually he played a near full season with LA last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad