Confirmed Trade: [VAN/LAK] Nic Dowd traded for Jordan Subban

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I have always been a Dowder fan. I think you guys are getting an underrated player. If he plays every day and gets decent minutes, he will produce for you guys. He needs to cut out the risky passes coming out of his own zone that turn into opposition chances. Decent in the face off circle, excellent passing vision, needs to shoot more, can carry the puck into the zone and create offense, handle 2nd unit PP duties (last season), a hard worker that can be physical along the boards. Not exactly sure what is in this for the Kings with Subban, but after watching his highlights from last year, the Ontario Reign will definitely improve on the PP. I can't see the Kings ever playing a 5-9 D man.

Reactions: deaderhead28

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I always hoped we would get a chance to see Subban play a few games first. But it seems obvious to this fanbase that it was never going to happen.

This kind of reminds me of the shinkaruk trade. Management had such little faith in the player that they didn't even want to give them a chance in an effort to avoid devaluing them even further.

Ah well.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Subban has been better lately. Guy can flat out fly. Has issues in his own end and if skating falls off these become significant. There is potential here but really a boom or bust situation. Big question here is can Subban handle size around his net.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
There's a few comments that I DON'T like in this thread:

1) "Subbann never got a chance in Vancouver."

Uhhh.....yeah he did. Just like everyone else. His game simply wasn't good enough to justify being on the big club. His defensive play needed a ton of work.

2) "A change of scenery will be a breath of fresh air for Subbann."

Uhhh........if that guy doesn't improve his defensive play, then his chances of making an even DEEPER LA Kings roster will not be good. The only breath of fresh air and superior change of scenery that Subbann will experience, is on his Californian waterfront apartment.

Last edited:

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
I always hoped we would get a chance to see Subban play a few games first. But it seems obvious to this fanbase that it was never going to happen.

This kind of reminds me of the shinkaruk trade. Management had such little faith in the player that they didn't even want to give them a chance in an effort to avoid devaluing them even further.

Ah well.

And in the case of Shinkaruk they were clearly correct. I suspect, but could be wrong, that they are here as well.

Keeping him out of an NHL lineup may prove to be a wise decision, as it was with Shinkaruk

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Subban couldn't make the 2nd worst team's defence even when they faced injuries. He is a legit Ahl offensive player, who represented the team at the ahl all stars.

All the best to Subban.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The main reason I am glad Subban was traded is so we can stop talking about him on the Canucks board.

He was such a lightning rod on the canucks board for crazy opinions on either side.

Elliot friedman did an article on Subban scouting Ryan Ellis heavily for 2 years to mold his game after him......... It just didn't work

He needs to switch to winger as a last ditch effort in my opinion.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Canucks will like Dowd. Plays simple and with effort. Character guy. Not very talented but doesn't try to play outside his means.

For depth he'll help.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A couple of waiver level guys. Decent deal for both sides. I don't think Subban has been hard done at all, he's just not good enough defensively and isn't progressing much. The canucks had a huge hole for an offensive dman, it was his if he was good enough. At this point trying him out as a winger could be your best bet.

Last edited:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks are being very prudent here. They have injuries at center. Subban was a null asset.

Benning might not be done. Dowd doesn't address the most pressing need, a center for the top line.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Subban is seriously flawed right now, but he clearly still has potential to be an impact player. Dowd is a decent depth guy but he has no upside, and players like that are easy to find.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Pretty crazy that in the spend of a season and a half, all three subban brothers have been moved.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Vancouver won this deal IMO. Dowd should do good for them.

Dowd will be a decent gap fill player while Horvat recovers from injury. Once Horvat comes back, Dowd should get some goods looks on the 4th line and could supplant Guance down there (or perhaps you move Gaunce to the wing while Dowd plays Center).

I don't see Subban ever being an NHL player at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad