Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F J.T. Miller re-signs in Vancouver (7 years, $8M AAV)

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Were we going to sign a UFA defender?

Or are we stuck never considering a trade ever again?

Also, Benn is some how more expensive, and Miller didn't kick it into high gear until after Benn would have. There's a risk, but this is on the lower side of what I was expecting to see.
We weren’t going to sign a UFA defender this year but signing JT Miller who is at the peak of his career for sure to this type of a contract for a team that’s not close to a cup is a horrible move when you considered the missed opportunity of potential assets you could have received for him. JT isn’t getting traded - this extension confirmed that. He was the prime candidate for a trade and made the most sense to move by far. We have no defensemen in the pipeline that you can even reasonably expect to be a difference maker. Look at the right side of our defensive corps lol this has effectively made it so the next 6 years we’re stuck in the worst position a team can be in - not bad enough to be a lottery team, not good enough to be a contender.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Motherf*!@#$%^&*

I wanted him traded to Pittsburgh :cry:

Does VAN have something else up their sleeve? Will be be cap compliant next year between this extension and Horvat's forthcoming new deal?
This has 0 effect on Horvat, as we have 15 million, likely more if Poolman LTIRetires, to sign Horvat, Kuzmenko and Hoglander. Maybe Schenn or Dermott. Plus Pittsburgh doesn't have the pieces we'd want, based on every trade proposal discussed since Marino left.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
For those saying this is a bad deal, why doesn’t this have a good chance to age well? JT came into the league in a sheltered role until he was traded here, where he broke out. I see him being a PPG player for at least 2-3 more years, then settling to 60+ points over the next couple years. By the time he’s not the same player, the cap should be much higher than it is now. Plus, it’s a much lower AAV, which bodes well for resigning Petey in a couple years to a respectable number. Compare this to the Situation in Toronto, where top guys are paid amongst the highest in the league.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
i don't think it'll be nearly as bad as Jamie's. Miller doesn't have a lot of miles/minutes on his body and his offense comes from really good in-zone play

but yes, directionally speaking, this is very questionable

I say similar to Jamie’s in the sense that players like Miller just generally do not age well. There are exceptions, but I’m going to go ahead and think of it as Miller won’t be any different from the majority.

The direction is the part I’m more concerned with.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It's a fair deal and will be good for the first 3-4 years. The window was always the Demko contract tbh and management saw this.

Now we have to trade Garland/Myers and fix the RHD...

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I think it's a fair deal as a rival fan.

This is now the norm for keeping your high end 29/30/31 year old players.
The issue is we didn’t need this fair deal - we aren’t even close to being a contender yet this move would suggest otherwise

Reactions: tyhee

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We weren’t going to sign a UFA defender this year but signing JT Miller who is at the peak of his career for sure to this type of a contract for a team that’s not close to a cup is a horrible move when you considered the missed opportunity of potential assets you could have received for him. JT isn’t getting traded - this extension confirmed that. He was the prime candidate for a trade and made the most sense to move by far. We have no defensemen in the pipeline that you can even reasonably expect to be a difference maker. Look at the right side of our defensive corps lol this has effectively made it so the next 6 years we’re stuck in the worst position a team can be in - not bad enough to be a lottery team, not good enough to be a contender.
This doesn't mean we're stuck at all. We're right where we would be anyway, with Miller locked up long term, instead of taking a crap proposal and using cap space which....we still aren't hurting for yet (next year we have 15+ million, more with Poolman on LTIR).

I'd rather have had news of a trade for a defender, but this isn't bad news.

Also, is this 7 years at 8 million, or 8 years at 7 million, different sources are saying different things.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I say similar to Jamie’s in the sense that players like Miller just generally do not age well. There are exceptions, but I’m going to go ahead and think of it as Miller won’t be any different from the majority.

The direction is the part I’m more concerned with.
I have much more fear with how north/south Bo is going to age, even given the younger age at contract expiry (28). Would be very weary going to anything near the total figures JT got with Bo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad