Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Elias Pettersson signs extension with Canucks (8 years, $11.6M AAV)

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Ahh okay that makes sense. Thank you
Bonus-laden contracts are also essentially buyout-proof, since the 2/3 payout from a buyout only includes the salary portion. Bonuses are paid at 100%, so you gain very, very little from buying out the deal.

And yeah, as the other poster explained, the CBA runs through the 25-26 season, meaning there could potentially be a work stoppage for 26-27, which is the year that no signing bonuses are included. So, basically, the deal gives EP a ton of guaranteed money and essentially makes the contract very onerous to buy out, while also ensuring the team won't have to pay a cent for any work stoppages.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
There are a lot of posts I like in this thread, but rather than liking them all individually I thought I'd comment instead.

I argue a lot around here. Sometimes it gets a little heated and I admit I sometimes come across pretty strong. Because of this and because of the way the Canucks fan base clashes with a couple other fan bses, it can leave a person thinking opposing fans are jerks — at least some of them.

This thread is kind of changing my mind about that. The overwhelming congratulations in this thread from fans of other teams seem 100% genuine and frankly, that touches my heart a little. Thanks, y'all. Maybe you can teach an old dog a new trick every now and then.

I am a DRW fan, but I am rooting for Van to go all the way this year.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Why I think its kind of a “steal” is because it eats up his entire prime, but ends at age 33, so it doesn’t have any risky years at the back end of the contract.

Guys like Nylander, Pastrnak, Huberdeau, etc who signed similar contracts are all older, and as such, there is a lot more risk overall. Usually that would cost more, but in this case, it didn’t.
Weren't all those other guys going to UFA? Not RFA? Huge difference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad