Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Elias Pettersson signs extension with Canucks (8 years, $11.6M AAV)

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I guess there is no more money for Hughs when he is due again?

Seems like NJD should be working the phones overtime now.

When you account for a rising salary cap, the Canucks will have 70 million in space when Hughes needs to be extended.

Hughes is signed until 2028 and there is nobody signed past him other than Pettersson and Miller. It will be extremely easy to fit him in.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
When you account for a rising salary cap, the Canucks will have 70 million in space when Hughes needs to be extended.

Hughes is signed until 2028 and there is nobody signed past him other than Pettersson and Miller. It will be extremely easy to fit him in.
I wonder if the Devils will be in as good a position?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I wonder if the Devils will be in as good a position?

The Devils have Meier, J. Hughes, Bratt, and Siegenthaler signed past Hughes' contract expiry with Hichier, Marino, and Palat all expiring at that time, presumably they'd want to keep some of them.

The thing is that he would take a big discount to be on the Devils.

The Devils have to re-sign three of their key players that summer already and will have 4 high earning players still on the roster that season. Their space is going to be much more complicated than the Canucks' will.

edit: I see you edited to say rumour, if he was going to leave why would he take the captaincy? Why would he accompany Pettersson to the media scrum today if he was just going to walk?

Reactions: nucks88

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
The Devils have Meier, J. Hughes, Bratt, and Siegenthaler signed past Hughes' contract expiry with Hichier, Marino, and Palat all expiring at that time, presumably they'd want to keep some of them.

The Devils have to re-sign three of their key players that summer already and will have 4 high earning players still on the roster that season. Their space is going to be much more complicated than the Canucks' will.

I agree.

Just saying that there is a chance that he would take lower salary in NJ.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but just making an observation.

Hope that the Nucks stay away from L. Eriksson's of this world.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Canucks have won more playoff rounds than the Leafs since 2017 even though they only made the playoffs once in that time frame, while the Leafs made it every year.
Not true, both teams have won one playoff round. The COVID play-in round was not a real playoff round, it was to qualify for the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Baby Pettersson

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
One thing that I hate is everybody shouting to the rooftops that this is a steal of a deal.

It's not. It's slightly cheaper than market value.

It has potential to become a steal. It's very similar to the Stutzle signing where it is appropriate for now, but if they reach max potential then it can save a few million in the long run.

Hughes is a steal, Demko is a steal. Miller is a steal.

This is about right given his consistencies over the past 2 seasons and his lack of line driving on a consistent basis that we've seen from him in previous seasons. If he can get back to carrying a line solo then we can laugh but for right now it's appropriate. Hell, half of the Canucks fan base has been bitching about how he's gonna demand 12 million the past month or so. So if he's right under that 12 million how is it a steal? Term, I guess?

It's a good contract but it has the potential to be a steal and it also has the potential to be a slight overpayment as well. More than likely a good contract considering the 8 years but let's stop pretending it's as if he signed for 10 million aav here.

Except that is what most posters in this thread are saying. That its a fair deal slightly below market??

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The NHL doesn't see it this way.
Yeah it makes it to the stats page but under the playoffs category but you really shouldn't be counting the play-in round in any meaningful way. Like the Canucks 'won' two rounds but also only made it to the second round. Though if you want to just compare to Toronto its still embarrassing that they even lost their play-in round.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Canucks have won more playoff rounds than the Leafs since 2017 even though they only made the playoffs once in that time frame, while the Leafs made it every year.

Not true, both teams have won one playoff round. The COVID play-in round was not a real playoff round, it was to qualify for the playoffs.

If you're going to say that wasn't the playoffs (which is arbitrary as far as I'm concerned) then the Leafs did not make the playoffs that year. They lost to the Jackets in the play-ins.

I prefer to simply avoid the confusion and say "post-season series", no need to fuss about what counts as playoffs or not. The league has it both ways so who cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad