Confirmed Trade: [VAN/DET] Filip Hronek and 2023 4th round pick for 2023 NYI 1st round pick and 2023 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakenNotStirred

Feb 1, 2015
NW PA
I hope he gets it. I've always liked him.

I guess Steve yzerman and myself share the same ideology of working within a budget and controlling our costs. I suspect that's why he was traded in the first place. Steve knew that his next contract would not be a wise investment for the red wings.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I have tons of crow to eat. This trade blew my mind when it happened and I mocked Vancouver for weeks. This is why I'm in the roofing business.
Oh trust me, a lot of us fans didn't like it either. It was a weird deal to make for a team near the bottom of the standings, especially one that has been notorious for NOT stockpiling picks during their rebuild and had just finally done that in getting another 1st in the Horvat trade. I was incredibly annoyed at the time. However I realized as we neared the end of the season that, no matter where the team was in the standings, the fact is that they are in the middle of a contention window with an elite young core that only comes around once a generation, if that. So if they weren't contending then they had to find a way to start contending. That's why you do a Hronek deal.

And now it's paying dividends.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
It's not so much as I am doubling down. He slowed down from his first 2.5 months but not more than I thought he would. Again, playing with a norris trophy finalist in a year that they all need to elevate their play so EP can stay (brock boeser says hi) will probably help him out a bit don't you think?

Not to mention that in all regards, Vancouver is significantly outplaying what they were projected to be this year. Still in the playoff race and will most likely make the playoffs to presidents trophy contenders. There's a difference between those.

I also did not believe that the western conference was going to have this many bad teams but shame on me for that one. So yes, Hronek did not significantly slow down as expected, but if you can objectively watch him play and think he has not slowed down in his "awesomeness", the more power to you. He still makes the same mistakes he was making in detroit, he just has a vezina goalie behind him, a norris trophy finalist next to him (most nights) and an offense that is producing at 2nd in the league. All of which contributes to his +33 (hilariously the same as hughes, further proving my point on that one) and the hiding of these mistakes. I have said it since the beginning of my time in this thread, I hope he does and stays well. Never disliked him in any way, just didn't like his mistakes always showing up on the score sheet. Maybe if we had taken hughes over zadina (which I still think we would have chosen someone else and not hughes if we didn't take zadina) and ended up trading for Helly like I wanted before his extension, then maybe I would have thought he wasn't that bad too.

I am pretty sure Andres Lilja and Lebda would look like pretty damn good too (they actually looked like pretty good third pairing defenders....on the 2008 stanley cup winning team........after that year not so much)
So do you watch every Canucks game then? You're seeing all these mistakes you're talking about?

And lol, this guy. Not only does he say Hronek is the same player he always was, but he also makes sure to note that even though the Zadina pick was a mistake he still wouldn't have chosen Hughes but someone else.

Absolutely no sour grapes here. Totally not trying too hard. 😂

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
My mistake.

I hope he gets that. I'm all for players bending over owners.
There's a salary cap and most teams pay close to the max. So any player going for top dollar is only really hurting the team's ability to compete. Not that they shouldn't get what they deserve, only that the impact to the owner is that they'll potentially have a less competitive team.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
What a weird comment. Hronek was between very bad defensively to average during his time in Detroit, and always good offensively. He was nowhere near the player he is in Vancouver and I suspect he never would have become this player in Detroit because we have no LD that are in the same galaxy as Hughes to pair him with. We didn't spend 4 seasons shitting on him because we're crazy, it's because he was legitimately bad quite often. I said it before - if Hronek was the player he is this season in Detroit, evne for like 30% of a season...it would have taken Lekkerimaki + 2 1sts to get him out of Detroit.

I don't see a single Detroit fan hoping he fails...we wish him the best and I've only seen people glad he is succeeding.

EDIT: Oh I see Detroit Knights' posts. Never mind. Yeah I don't agree that he's been regressing or anything. By all accounts Hronek has been lights out this entire season and I'm glad he found a level of play that I don't think he ever would have in Detroit. Y'all gotta understand - it's not like he showed flashes of this but wasn't consistent. He was straight up horrible defensively more often than not. I'm glad he's appeared to have figured it out.
Yeah this is fair. That's simply the experience you guys had with Hronek in Detroit unfortunately. That's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. Mainly people are just amused by the one Wings fan who is adamant that Hronek hasn't changed. Which is fine because everyone is allowed their own opinion, it's just annoying when it's not founded on any actual information (ie maybe a couple games).

I don't think either side needs any validation because both sides seem pretty happy with how things turned out. Sometimes you just gotta take people to task on things.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Then, when you came back a few days ago and asked me what I thought. I then told you what I thought. I said he has not shown the regression I was expecting and what most red wings fans expected

Do you speak to most Red Wings fans on a daily basis? How do you find the time to do that with millions of people?

You can't just say something that you believe in, and then say most other people think the same.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
For me . The reason I keep checking in is to read all the cheap shots from former Wings fans that hated him... the thinly veiled to outright comments are a treat!

Glad Nucks got their 3

Behind a good offence is a new fav.lol

Carried by Hughes (who simply improved over summer while Hronek is still the exact same. Absolutely no way the two are connected or that Hughes is also benefitting from this)

Nucks are a great team and he's along for the ride. No way he's part of the improvement.

Stevie Y is a genius because Hronek would be overpaid and he knew he was trash and not worth that 2024 contract that doesn't exist yet.

I totally agree it was a great trade for both parties though . Zero argument. It's the cheapshots that keep me coming back lol.

I look forward to a mini slump and everyone coming back to say 'See, that's Hronek.. we all told you,'!

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I look forward to a mini slump and everyone coming back to say 'See, that's Hronek.. we all told you,'!

This thread and the PDO thread where the Oilers fans are also waiting on the Canucks to regress.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Weird thing to say after book marking and quoting someone 2 months later.
Not really. There was a lot of back and forth prior to what you are quoting. At a certain you can only debate the same point for so long before moving on.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
by starting your post like this, trust me, it makes me want to read everything you wrote because your words are much more important than mine.

it also wasn't even to you so i guess that makes sense.
I read your 3-4 prior posts to that. but what Im getting from those posts is that you might've watch 1 or 2 games of Hronek in a whale uniform. You mention mistakes he keep making, what mistakes does he consistently make? as a guy that watched every game, I dont see any pattern. He makes a random mistake not backchecking hard enough or pinching too quickly, but everyone makes those. He is not a weakness in the backend. if he makes 7+, he's not a passenger and he earned it. You sound like you're living in the past and waiting for a developing Hronek in detroit stuck in a consistently losing environment that may one day rear up again.

Hes been very good, is he 8 million good? no. is he 6.5-7.5, he definitely deserves that.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
If Im Allvin, I will cap it at 7.85x6. I have a problem with Hronek being paid more than Hughes

I do not think comparing a fully RFA contract with mostly UFA one makes any sense. However, it's not about making sense, but about leverage. Hronek I think has leverage, if he want to use it. If Hronek isn't happy with that ceiling, he would just grab his 1x7M arbitration, and see what he can get as a UFA, since there is no "Hughes cap" in UFA.

Whatever the cap hit though, I expect Hronek to aim for some serious term, so it's most likely going to be an 8 year deal.

Reactions: bh53 and BCNate

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
This thread and the PDO thread where the Oilers fans are also waiting on the Canucks to regress.
In fairness... that one is brutal too. And I'm an Oiler's fan.

I will say, nothing to do with PDO.. I'd be surprised if Nuck's could maintain this pace for all 82 games... I'd be in even more shock if my Oilers could maintain their current 20 game pace too. Tough league! Look at LA.. they are beautifully built and now are struggling. Or Seattle, they weren't doing great and are now on a big heater too! Or the Leaf's are currently shitting the bed (blown lead after blown lead) but no way they are not a great team or making the playoffs in mind.

Tough league and hard to be elite the whole time.

I'm very much on record saying I'd be happy for Nucks if they won. Within a few years they did something the Oiler's have yet to do.. Elite D, C and G. We've managed 2 elite C's and some good pieces.haha

I'm also very much on record saying I want us to meet in the playoffs.. those asskickings in October still haunt me.lol

Reactions: Grantham

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For me . The reason I keep checking in is to read all the cheap shots from former Wings fans that hated him... the thinly veiled to outright comments are a treat!

Glad Nucks got their 3

Behind a good offence is a new fav.lol

Carried by Hughes (who simply improved over summer while Hronek is still the exact same. Absolutely no way the two are connected or that Hughes is also benefitting from this)

Nucks are a great team and he's along for the ride. No way he's part of the improvement.

Stevie Y is a genius because Hronek would be overpaid and he knew he was trash and not worth that 2024 contract that doesn't exist yet.

I totally agree it was a great trade for both parties though . Zero argument. It's the cheapshots that keep me coming back lol.

Hey all here for Nucks fans doing this that have only seen this current version.

I call a heaping of B******* on people that watched the whole thing.

Great chalk Hronek up to a Bertuzzi or Naslund level if anyone wants.

Still happy as hell they didn't hang on or extend in Detroit. He wasn't worth a big money point extension in Detroit. The only time he wasn't an absolute tire fire in his own end was year two and for 20 game stretches most notable with Maatta last year. We want to have disingenuous arguments about what he was in Detroit by all means.

Said it somewhere way back when, Hronek never cheated you on effort and I like the guy. He wasn't this guy in Detroit and I loathed the idea of giving him an extension on point production that came with very little impact through several years in Detroit. For all the victory laps, Detroit is also worlds better this year without him. So glad the swap worked, but save me the oh what has been. We gave him plenty of time and as far as I am concerned this is one of the kicks in the ass he needed to reach another level. Good on him for doing it, but I firmly believe that player wasn't coming through in Detroit and despite his big contract year (where a lot of players play their best hockey) I am totally fine with this and will be every time it is re-litigated. I hope he continues to kill it and gets an extension to the highest degree. I know if he was trying to sign in Detroit based on a substantial track record here anything north of 6 million would have made me puke. Nothing about that context has changed since he exploded with Vancouver. I don't believe he was doing that in Detroit and yes we also have been better without him as hard as that is for people to believe on the other side of this equation.

This is a way of trying to have a winners argument without acknowledging guys have moved all the time while underperforming in this league in one spot while finding a far better fit and opportunity in another. Doesn't really change the fact they weren't succeeding in another before hitting. Pretty much every organization has a few, that is kind of the nature of the business.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShakenNotStirred

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Hey all here for Nucks fans doing this that have only seen this current version.

I call a heaping of B******* on people that watched the whole thing.

Great chalk Hronek up to a Bertuzzi or Naslund level if anyone wants.

Still happy as hell they didn't hang on or extend in Detroit. He wasn't worth a big money point extension in Detroit. The only time he wasn't an absolute tire fire in his own end was year two and for 20 game stretches most notable with Maatta last year. We want to have disingenuous arguments about what he was in Detroit by all means.

Said it somewhere way back when, Hronek never cheated you on effort and I like the guy. He wasn't this guy in Detroit and I loathed the idea of giving him an extension on point production that came with very little impact through several years in Detroit. For all the victory laps, Detroit is also worlds better this year without him. So glad the swap worked, but save me the oh what has been. We gave him plenty of time and as far as I am concerned this is one of the kicks in the ass he needed to reach another level. Good on him for doing it, but I firmly believe that player wasn't coming through in Detroit and despite his big contract year (where a lot of players play their best hockey) I am totally fine with this and will be every time it is re-litigated. I hope he continues to kill it and gets an extension to the highest degree. I know if he was trying to sign in Detroit based on a substantial track record here anything north of 6 million would have made me puke. Nothing about that context has changed since he exploded with Vancouver. I don't believe he was doing that in Detroit and yes we also have been better without him as hard as that is for people to believe on the other side of this equation.

This is a way of trying to have a winners argument without acknowledging guys have moved all the time while underperforming in this league in one spot while finding a far better fit and opportunity in another. Doesn't really change the fact they weren't succeeding in another before hitting. Pretty much every organization has a few, that is kind of the nature of the business.
FWIW... I'm an OIler's fan. Czech fan first. So my views are based on the National Team, Wing's and Nuck's.

Trust me, no Hronek on Nuck's and I've only seen 2 games from them this season (both thrashings of my Oilers.lol)

Weird that 'tire fire' always gets such heavy minutes on all 3 of those teams though. Like consissntely top 2 on minutes every time I look for the Czechs, Wings and now Nucks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
FWIW... I'm an OIler's fan. Czech fan first. So my views are based on the National Team, Wing's and Nuck's.

Trust me, no Hronek on Nuck's and I've only seen 2 games from them this season (both thrashings of my Oilers.lol)

Weird that 'tire fire' always gets such heavy minutes on all 3 of those teams though. Like consissntely top 2 on minutes every time I look for the Czechs, Wings and now Nucks.
Not really weird on the roster. I will also give Hronek that, he was put in a lot of tough situations on some very bad teams in Detroit. I just don't believe he was becoming anything close to this in Detroit and I am still happy they dealt him. It seems to have also worked out great, but he can put up 80 points shotgun to Hughes and I will still say good deal Yzerman.

The GM identifies a player he no longer sees as a core player because yes he failed to establish that in Detroit then turns him into assets is right. Guy could score a 100 points this year, but the gotcha part of this would still be false. I had the AHL pass, I watched him play 300 games of NHL hockey. That was the evaluation when shipping him out and while I am happy to see him killing it, I won't forget the that is an acceptable decision when dealt moment. Still feel 100% with the trade, glad for Hronek, he was always a guy that gave everything when playing, I hope he signs a long extension and keeps it up. I am also completely allowed to have the opinion this wouldn't be happening in Detroit and I am glad we cashed him in before we didn't get anything of value back.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
The guys in the Wings section don't really watch the games closely, let alone pay attention to comparables around the league. Hronek was great for the Wings. The only player on the roster consistently better was Larkin. Hronek is absolutely money skating the puck out of his zone and down the ice. When Mickey Redmond points out an error that Hronek was apart of, people jumped on him because he isn't Lidstrom or atleast 6' 2". It took the Wings fans a long time to realize Seider makes mistakes as well, he was making 2x more than Hronek at the time, but they couldn't see them. They think a top pair defender in this league doesn't make mistakes on a nightly basis.

It is a cap game and I understand Yzermans reason for moving him in the position we are in, however, Detroit fans took it as confirmation that their delusions were correct at the time. Yzerman felt Walman could do a well enough job filling Hroneks spot for the time and be a cheaper top 4 option going forward. I can understand wanting a different kind of defender for the money Hronek will get. Hopefully, Edvinsson works out for us to anchor down our 1st and 2nd pair along with Seider and our plan works out favorably for us.

Reactions: Grantham and BCNate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad