Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Canucks acquire D Filip Hronek, 4th in ‘23 for NYI 1st (condt’l), 2023 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Do you think when you watch the news it's talking to you personally?

I was speaking to the absolute tidal wave of histrionics that I am witnessing from dozens (bare minimum) of people who have never watched him play (or at least not when we aren't playing DRW and not really paying him any attention). Who are making large global evaluations on the Canucks based on...basically nothing.

I did address you specifically in saying, and I genuinely mean no offense (though I'm sure you will still take some), that i have noticed that I frequently disagree with your takes. Hence, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but it does little to sway mine.
I think more people are upset over the direction and not necessarily the player, like I still don’t think the Miller trade was a good move because it wasn’t time to spend assets.

Reactions: Dr Black

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
By bigger picture, I mean who is Hronek, how does he play, how does he fit in here? What other moves do they make? ETC.

Freaking out about a single move in a hopeless season on March 1st just seems like overreacting to a car backfiring 3 streets over.

But I'm almost 40, so perhaps it comes more easily to be a bit more patient.
Don't you see how people's patience might be wearing pretty thin at this point? What has this organization done to deserve that kind of benefit of the doubt? From where I sit this move just looks like more of the same that has gotten us nowhere.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think more people are upset over the direction and not necessarily the player, like I still don’t think the Miller trade was a good move because it wasn’t time to spend assets.
Well, personally I was hoping we would lean into a 1 year retool and make the picks this year but I'll wait to see how it plays out.

The thought that we would dump Petey and Hughes and lean into being a disgrace for 10 years was, to borrow from @MS, video game nonsense.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I personally don't think this is a deal they should have made right now (maybe something to consider at the draft).

I think I would actually be more upset however if they kept the pick traded the 2nd to move Garland and proceeded to give Dumba or Severson a 7x7 in Free agency.
Why would we need to add that pick to move Garland? You add that pick to move Myers (after his bonus payment).

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
Odds are Pettersson doesn't resign here if we don't make moves. Hold picks and draft is not ideal for players in their prime wanting to compete now.
Fake news

Well, personally I was hoping we would lean into a 1 year retool and make the picks this year but I'll wait to see how it plays out.

The thought that we would dump Petey and Hughes and lean into being a disgrace for 10 years was, to borrow from @MS, video game nonsense.
We have already been a disgrace for 10 years, while doing this retool bs

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Odds are Pettersson doesn't resign here if we don't make moves. Hold picks and draft is not ideal for players in their prime wanting to compete now.
I would say that's likely accurate but can the team actually compete? There are many holes in the lineup while the team is capped out, and a poor prospect pool. The significant majority of the blame goes to Benning. He screwed the team over for 10+ years.

Reactions: Nomobo

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I personally don't think this is a deal they should have made right now (maybe something to consider at the draft).

I think I would actually be more upset however if they kept the pick traded the 2nd to move Garland and proceeded to give Dumba or Severson a 7x7 in Free agency.
Saying it could have been worse is no defence. This just sucked.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Messien

Mar 11, 2013
If we added a 2nd round pick in 2026 we could have gotten Chychrun lol.

Can’t make this shit up.
It'd be a different trade with us, as the Ottawa pick> NYI pick. Would have likely had to put in our first instead of NYI or add an extra asset.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Where did anyone expect a team to give up a cost controlled RHD without a huge payment, they just aren’t available anywhere? Romanov went for the 13th overall and Hronek is far superior as a player. On Vancouvers offence he could be a 60/70 point RHD that’s a RFA after his contract.

I’m not happy with the trade as I wanted to rebuild but we can’t improve the defence through free agency and RHD are just never available. Defensive Dmen are easier to obtain and there are plenty that play the left side in order to utilize Hronek for what he brings to the table.

It sucks but we are now going forward and this is the same reaction as when Miller was acquired 4 years ago. That 20th overall pick just went to SJ and he will be lucky to be a #5 Dman in the league. We were losing it at the time……..

Reactions: JohnHodgson

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Don't you see how people's patience might be wearing pretty thin at this point? What has this organization done to deserve that kind of benefit of the doubt? From where I sit this move just looks like more of the same that has gotten us nowhere.
I've been a die-hard since 94, believe me I have witnessed futility.

But this isn't just more of the same. I think people have been a bit deranged by the experience with Benning (which was really him as the figurehead for FA) wherein we made some really poor, 'win now' moves.

I don't think this is that at all. I also don't know for sure that this is a good move, by any stretch. But the hardest position to acquire, which Canuck-luck is also where we are probably worst in the league, is RD. We just acquired a good one who is 25 and trending upwards, and will be an RFA at the end of his deal.

Depending on what else happens, this could be a fantastic move.

If the Islanders' pick rolls over and becomes top 7 next year, I will be angry right along side you and it's why I would have preferred to wait.

Let's say the pick this year ends up btw 15th and 20th this year.

2010:
Derek Forbort
Vlad Tarasenko
Joey Hishon
Austin Watson
Nick Bjugstad
Beau Bennett

2011:
J.T. Miller
Joel Armia
Nathan Beaulieu
Mark McNeill
Oscar Klefbom (good but injured)
Connor Murphy

2012:
Cody Ceci
Tom Wilson
Tomas Hertl

Teuvo Teravainen (Decent, but not a big miss if you don't get a one dimensional scoring winger, especially with where we are at).
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Scott Laughton

2013:
Ryan Pulock
Nikita Zadorov
Curtis Lazar
Mirco Mueller
Kerby Rychel
Anthony Mantha (decent, but meh).

2014:
Dylan Larkin
Sonny Milano
Travis Sanheim (maybe)
Alex Tuch
Tony DeAngelo
Nick Schmaltz (meh).

2015:
Barzal
Connor
Chabot

Evgeni Svechnikov
Eriksson-Ek

2016:
Luke Kunin
Chychrun
Dante Fabbro
Logan Stanley
Keifer Bellows
Dennis Cholowski

Erik Brannstrom
Juuso Valmaki
Timothy Liljegren (decent)
urho Vaakanainen
Josh Norris
Robert Thomas

2018:
Denisenko
Kaut
Ty Smith
Foudy
Jay O'Brien
Rasmus Kupari

2019:
Caulfield
Newhook
Krebs
Harley
Lassi Thompson
Heinola
-

I will stop there since 2020 guys aren't done developing (neither are some of the 18 or 19 guys).

So looking at that list, Tarasenko is a bit unique because he wasn't leaving Russia for at least a couple of years.
2012 looks good at first, but then you remember it has maybe the worst top 5 in 20 years, so if those picks hadn't been so incompetent there would have been less available here, it's a bit of an outlier.

Otherwise, there are some good players, but a large number of them are guys who took 3 years to develop and then became skilled wingers who didn't play much two-way. Which the league currently has a surplus of.

So is Hronek (if he's a good top 4) worth more than about a 1 in 5 shot at an effective player (possibly in a redundant position) in a minimum of 3 years?

There's also a lot of busts in these lists.

Further, this is a total back of the napkin assessment since the value of players in the past means little for this year's stock. But presumably our management has assessed the pool and doesn't think we will the the ~1.5/5 lucky team that gets an above replacement level player in that range.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I think you’re underestimating Hronek by labeling him as a mere age gap acquisition.

I’m not underestimating draft picks either,but there’s more to building a good team than showing up at the draft..

I still prefer our core players over the Red Wings core.
The Red Wings are properly managed. They realized in the brutal eastern conference they are not that close to being a cup contender so they traded a decent but not star 2nd pairing dman for 1st and 2nd draft picks in the best NHL draft in years.

The Canucks on the other hand have missed the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years, are 26th in the league yet constantly trade away their 1st nd 2nd round draft picks, have the 28th ranked prospect pool, are capped out even though they never win.

If your posting is the equivalent of screaming into a pillow after a bad day at work, before you take stock and realize that tomorrow is another day then we use the boards differently, but you have every right to do so.

My point is, the whole painting isn't finished. Remember watching Bob Ross and at first it looks like a bunch of blobs and then somehow he turns it all into a beautiful landscape painting? Right now this is one of those blobs, we don't know what it is yet.

And people who haven't extensively watched Hronek, don't really know what we just traded for (I haven't watched him enough to speak strongly).

My impression of Hronek is that he is confident, assertive, has pretty good vision, and doesn't back down, but he isn't big. But I don't know a ton more than that.

Unless you do, it may behoove you to wait before freaking out.

Or have you extensively watched 20 of the top prospects this year and you're certain that there's a top prospect you desperately want with the 18th pick? Probably not.

So people can cast an opinion, I'm actually not thrilled to lose the Islanders pick before we know where it is, either. But I'm also willing to wait and see what happens before I have an explosive reaction. And I can see the benefits in acquiring a young, upward trajectory moving RD who will be an RFA after next year.

Or you can go back to screaming into the pillow.
I guess 10 years of watching these win now moves hasnt been enough to show you they havent been working. Not much else we can say to you.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
i'm not trying to convince anyone. i'm just giving my input. if people want to listen to me cool. if not also cool

what i'm not doing and you very pointedly are is telling people they are feeling wrong. that their reactions aren't valid because they don't align with yours

no one needs to be gatekeeping fandom or feelings around here
No, I'm not saying people are wrong to feel upset. I'm saying going into paroxysms over it without considering context and jumping to massive conclusions and saying 'this is just like OEL' is just noise. It's pointless and irrelevant.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Where did anyone expect a team to give up a cost controlled RHD without a huge payment, they just aren’t available anywhere? Romanov went for the 13th overall and Hronek is far superior as a player. On Vancouvers offence he could be a 60/70 point RHD that’s a RFA after his contract.

I’m not happy with the trade as I wanted to rebuild but we can’t improve the defence through free agency and RHD are just never available. Defensive Dmen are easier to obtain and there are plenty that play the left side in order to utilize Hronek for what he brings to the table.

It sucks but we are now going forward and this is the same reaction as when Miller was acquired 4 years ago. That 20th overall pick just went to SJ and he will be lucky to be a #5 Dman in the league. We were losing it at the time……..

LOL that's not better. Then the Nucks miss the playoffs by 10 points instead of 20 and his cap hit is $8 mil.

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
I've been a die-hard since 94, believe me I have witnessed futility.

But this isn't just more of the same. I think people have been a bit deranged by the experience with Benning (which was really him as the figurehead for FA) wherein we made some really poor, 'win now' moves.

I don't think this is that at all. I also don't know for sure that this is a good move, by any stretch. But the hardest position to acquire, which Canuck-luck is also where we are probably worst in the league, is RD. We just acquired a good one who is 25 and trending upwards, and will be an RFA at the end of his deal.

Depending on what else happens, this could be a fantastic move.

If the Islanders' pick rolls over and becomes top 7 next year, I will be angry right along side you and it's why I would have preferred to wait.

Let's say the pick this year ends up btw 15th and 20th this year.

2010:
Derek Forbort
Vlad Tarasenko
Joey Hishon
Austin Watson
Nick Bjugstad
Beau Bennett

2011:
J.T. Miller
Joel Armia
Nathan Beaulieu
Mark McNeill
Oscar Klefbom (good but injured)
Connor Murphy

2012:
Cody Ceci
Tom Wilson
Tomas Hertl

Teuvo Teravainen (Decent, but not a big miss if you don't get a one dimensional scoring winger, especially with where we are at).
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Scott Laughton

2013:
Ryan Pulock
Nikita Zadorov
Curtis Lazar
Mirco Mueller
Kerby Rychel
Anthony Mantha (decent, but meh).

2014:
Dylan Larkin
Sonny Milano
Travis Sanheim (maybe)
Alex Tuch
Tony DeAngelo
Nick Schmaltz (meh).

2015:
Barzal
Connor
Chabot

Evgeni Svechnikov
Eriksson-Ek

2016:
Luke Kunin
Chychrun
Dante Fabbro
Logan Stanley
Keifer Bellows
Dennis Cholowski

Erik Brannstrom
Juuso Valmaki
Timothy Liljegren (decent)
urho Vaakanainen
Josh Norris
Robert Thomas

2018:
Denisenko
Kaut
Ty Smith
Foudy
Jay O'Brien
Rasmus Kupari

2019:
Caulfield
Newhook
Krebs
Harley
Lassi Thompson
Heinola
-

I will stop there since 2020 guys aren't done developing (neither are some of the 18 or 19 guys).

So looking at that list, Tarasenko is a bit unique because he wasn't leaving Russia for at least a couple of years.
2012 looks good at first, but then you remember it has maybe the worst top 5 in 20 years, so if those picks hadn't been so incompetent there would have been less available here, it's a bit of an outlier.

Otherwise, there are some good players, but a large number of them are guys who took 3 years to develop and then became skilled wingers who didn't play much two-way. Which the league currently has a surplus of.

So is Hronek (if he's a good top 4) worth more than about a 1 in 5 shot at an effective player (possibly in a redundant position) in a minimum of 3 years?

There's also a lot of busts in these lists.

Further, this is a total back of the napkin assessment since the value of players in the past means little for this year's stock. But presumably our management has assessed the pool and doesn't think we will the the ~1.5/5 lucky team that gets an above replacement level player in that range.
What round was hronek drafted in?

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
No, I'm not saying people are wrong to feel upset. I'm saying going into paroxysms over it without considering context and jumping to massive conclusions and saying 'this is just like OEL' is just noise. It's pointless and irrelevant.

It's slightly better than OEL in that he's 25 and not 30 and his contract doesn't kill the cap structure of the team when the trade fails.

From a future planning perspective it might actually be worse though given this is the deepest draft in a decade. Those two picks could be incredible players and given Canuck luck I'm assuming they will be future Hall of Famers, the Canucks trade their first at this deadline for Provorov (which becomes Bedard in lottery) and they proceed to miss the playoffs for another decade.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

LOL how do you figure on Vancouver defence he will be a 60-70 point defenceman?? Firat of all the Canucks have never had a 70 pt defenceman in their 53 year history...and 2nd he will see 30 seconds on the 2nd power play unit. Or do you think this ok 2nd pairing defenceman is better than Quinn Hughes?

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The Red Wings are properly managed. They realized in the brutal eastern conference they are not that close to being a cup contender so they traded a decent but not star 2nd pairing dman for 1st and 2nd draft picks in the best NHL draft in years.

The Canucks on the other hand have missed the playoffs 7 of the last 8 years, are 26th in the league yet constantly trade away their 1st nd 2nd round draft picks, have the 28th ranked prospect pool, are capped out even though they never win.

I guess 10 years of watching these win now moves hasnt been enough to show you they havent been working. Not much else we can say to you.

The prospect pool is dire. So dire i'd say recently acquired Josh bloom is in the top few prospects and he cost Riley Stillman to acquire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad