Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Canucks acquire D Filip Hronek, 4th in ‘23 for NYI 1st (condt’l), 2023 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepinghorse

Dec 7, 2014
You actually know nothing about hockey if you think Hronek is going to ask for $8M+ at his current pace.

Cale Maker makes $9M
Miro Heiskanen makes $8.45M
Quinn Hughes makes $7.85M
John Carlson makes $8M
Alex Pietrangelo makes $8.8M
Aaron Ekblad makes $7.5M

You think Hronek is anywhere even close to the level of these players? Like I said, let me know where you're getting the bud because it's hitting good.
Jared Spurgeon says hello. He signed his current $7.5M x 7 deal 3 years ago as an UFA who had never scored at more that a ~45 point pace. He’s undersized (5’9” 175lbs) and doesn’t bring anything physical on the defensive end of the puck. He has mobility and puck skill/sense and little else.

He’s just one example, but he’s a good example of what the RH bonus seems to bring to any blueliner with some skill.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I think this is the kind of move you make at the draft if you're looking to move the pick for young defenseman. Not sure why you do it now when you still have a messy cap situation to sort out and many areas that need to be addressed.

Also feels like they could've bargained a little harder and not lost that high 2nd round pick.

Unless they move out contracts it will be hard to significantly improve this team in the summer to be a playoff team.

Because the 2nd round pick is going to be so high, do you think Allvin will say “we gave up essentially two 1st round picks”

??? See if it works the other way around.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
God we have the most dramatic fanbase "literally shaking rn".
Of course, our sports journalists are mostly pretty ignorant.

I watch and have played a helllllll of a lot of hockey over the last 28 years.
I have watched the Wings and noticed Hronek a fair few times.

I still don't feel qualified yet to have a strong opinion on Hronek because I have never really honed in on him specifically.

For those who are freaking out, ask yourself, have you watched much of Hronek or are you looking at JFresh charts (which hilariously I believe are favorable anyway)?

First of all, people saying 'we're buyers, I could see us trading our 1st this year for a rental', are you seriously this out of control in life, or do you just have a pathological desire to be dunked on by reality? This isn't a 'we're buyers' move. This is a move that happens on draft day typically.

That it happened today makes me think that Allvin thought this was a deal that wouldn't be available in the summer.

RD are the shortest commodity in the league by far and we have just acquired a player who is 25, is trending up, and is already a top 4 with the potential to be more. If he can either be a perfect foil for Hughes, or else be the lynchpin of our 2nd pairing, then it's a fantastic trade unless the Islanders' pick skips forward to next year and ends up a top 5 pick.

In a perfect world, even if we were going to make this trade, I would have preferred to wait to see where the pick ended up. I'm a lot more comfortable trading 19th overall and a 2nd than I am rolling the dice on a non lottery protected draft choice next year for an old team.

There are people absolutely self-reporting their ignorance "We should have traded for Parayko". Thanks for letting everyone know that you stopped watching hockey when the pandemic started. HE would be an OEL acquisition.

"We should have traded more for Chychrun", we should have traded for an LD who is a ufa at the end of his current contract? That would be far less defensible than this (barring further moves).

I suspect that Allvin saw Washington, Nashville, and Detroit throwing in the towel. He knows the Flames are flagging, and suddenly he thinks this pick might end up closer to 20th overall.

I'm not sure on that bet and I would have preferred to wait, but if he's correct then this is absolutely defensible.

But ultimately, people know what draft picks are and they can wishcast on them. "Maybe it's the next Mo Seider". But actually knowing who a 2nd pairing D on an Eastern team is, and what his attributes are, and his development path, and how he might fit onto this team is quite a bit more involved. And that's fine, we all have school, jobs, obligations, etc.

But then maybe carry your opinions a little bit lighter. Wait a bit and see what else we do. If you think this is a trade for this season then you're not worth talking to. Let's see the makeup of the roster next season.

If we trade Miller (e.g.) to Pittsburgh and get a 1st and a 2nd back, suddenly I'm quite okay with this deal.

So take a breath, slow your roll, and let's see how this plays out.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Not surprising some over the top takes and overrating draft picks.

Hronek is not a bad outcome for a mid 1st, actually its a very good outcome. And you don't have to wait years and the timeline aligns much better with the core.

The question is how he fits on this team, with Hughes, he'll have to carry his own 2nd pairing and offer mostly EV production. He's also not overly big and I wouldn't say great defensively.
You're missing the plot here. Barely anybody is saying that Hronek is a bad player. He's easily a top-4 guy.

The issue is that the Canucks are once again doubling down on a non-playoff (bottom 10) roster.

It's the Aquilini-Benning super bros. plan. It's worked well in the past so why not continue, right?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
For those who are freaking out, ask yourself, have you watched much of Hronek or are you looking at JFresh charts (which hilariously I believe are favorable anyway)?

i dunno how many times i need to repeat this but i've watched hronek live 20-30 times and watched probably another 50 of his games on tv. the canucks massively overpaid for him. he's more like myers than hughes and he's not a top dman nor does he have the skills to develop into one

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
Hronek may be end up being great, hopefully...but why is management buying anti-tank missiles now? Can they not wait until draft day?

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Oh, well rebuilding and not trading those two is a ticket to nowhere’s ville aswell, since they will most definitely want out shortly without us spending to get them some help in the next two seasons.

If we plan on being in contention for the draft lottery next season we are going to loose Peterson.
It would suck royally to lose Pettersson/Hughes but keeping these picks at least mitigates that somewhat by setting up a foundation for the future. Instead, we're trading them away to try to buy a competitive team that will tread water just like the Oilers. I hope that's good enough for Pettersson and Co.

In reality though, the simple act of keeping these picks and using them to draft future pieces wouldn't have deterred Pettersson anyway. Again, keeping the picks you already have isn't the same as doing a scorched earth rebuild. What will please those guys is good freaking management.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We're told the whole purpose of trading Horvat, besides having no money to pay him, was that a first round draft pick had to be coming back the other day.

Now they've blown that pick on yet another d-man. And on top of that, they've now traded their second rounder this year and their second rounder next year.

I guess if you're OK with the Canucks being lottery land forever, then this trade makes sense. In some respects, it's worse than the Gudbranson trade. At least that slug only cost Benning McCann, who was prospect at the time, and a second round draft pick.

Flushing away a first rounder and a high second in one of the deepest drafts in years is just unforgiveable. I don't care what Hronek does in a Canuck uniform.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
i dunno how many times i need to repeat this but i've watched hronek live 20-30 times and watched probably another 50 of his games on tv. the canucks massively overpaid for him. he's more like myers than hughes and he's not a top dman nor does he have the skills to develop into one
With all due respect, I find that I disagree with your takes a lot of the time, so that doesn't pan a ton of water with me.

To be clear, I'm not speaking about you as a person at all, just the hobby we share.

So if you have watched him that many times, then you are qualified to make your own assertion on him, but I'm still going to wait to make my own.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

I still don't feel qualified yet to have a strong opinion on Hronek because I have never really honed in on him specifically.

First of all, people saying 'we're buyers, I could see us trading our 1st this year for a rental', are you seriously this out of control in life, or do you just have a pathological desire to be dunked on by reality? This isn't a 'we're buyers' move. This is a move that happens on draft day typically.

That it happened today makes me think that Allvin thought this was a deal that wouldn't be available in the summer.

RD are the shortest commodity in the league by far and we have just acquired a player who is 25, is trending up, and is already a top 4 with the potential to be more. If he can either be a perfect foil for Hughes, or else be the lynchpin of our 2nd pairing, then it's a fantastic trade unless the Islanders' pick skips forward to next year and ends up a top 5 pick.

In a perfect world, even if we were going to make this trade, I would have preferred to wait to see where the pick ended up. I'm a lot more comfortable trading 19th overall and a 2nd than I am rolling the dice on a non lottery protected draft choice next year for an old team.

There are people absolutely self-reporting their ignorance "We should have traded for Parayko". Thanks for letting everyone know that you stopped watching hockey when the pandemic started. HE would be an OEL acquisition.

"We should have traded more for Chychrun", we should have traded for an LD who is a ufa at the end of his current contract? That would be far less defensible than this (barring further moves).

I suspect that Allvin saw Washington, Nashville, and Detroit throwing in the towel. He knows the Flames are flagging, and suddenly he thinks this pick might end up closer to 20th overall.

I'm not sure on that bet and I would have preferred to wait, but if he's correct then this is absolutely defensible.

But ultimately, people know what draft picks are and they can wishcast on them. "Maybe it's the next Mo Seider". But actually knowing who a 2nd pairing D on an Eastern team is, and what his attributes are, and his development path, and how he might fit onto this team is quite a bit more involved. And that's fine, we all have school, jobs, obligations, etc.

But then maybe carry your opinions a little bit lighter. Wait a bit and see what else we do. If you think this is a trade for this season then you're not worth talking to. Let's see the makeup of the roster next season.

If we trade Miller (e.g.) to Pittsburgh and get a 1st and a 2nd back, suddenly I'm quite okay with this deal.

What a crock of shit.

Sure, the Canucks are doing it right and all the other bottom dwelling teams who keep their picks and aren't completely allergic to the draft are doing it wrong.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
How does a team 5th from the bottom trade a 1st and 2nd pick away? Lol. That’s actually f***ing insane.
It's inexcusable.

The people in here defending the move are the same ones that defended the OEL move, and we know how that turned out.

It's truly a disastrous day for the fans who care about a Stanley Cup parade, because with short-sighted moves like this, we won't be celebrating one for at least another 5+ years.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What on earth.

Hronek is a good player and a RHD, and has multiple years of team control. But he's an offensive D and won't have a lot of PP utility here. Will help our transition game considerably.

Two high picks seems like a lot.

No idea what Detroit's doing, either. Their rebuild is going til 2030.

I need to process this one. But we were never rebuilding and people sticking swords in their guts are angry about something that was never happening.
Congrat.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

You are not the onlt former player who has no f***in clue about how to run a hockey club.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The guy can’t even f***ing defend. This is insane. I’m still in shock.
I'm shocked to hear that you're trending towards the negative on this one.

With how dramatically negatively you respond to every single game/transaction/event I'm curious how you even function.

Like if you get to your driveway and realize you forgot your keys in the house do you just fall to the ground and rock back and forth for a few hours or what?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You're missing the plot here. Barely anybody is saying that Hronek is a bad player. He's easily a top-4 guy.

The issue is that the Canucks are once again doubling down on a non-playoff (bottom 10) roster.

It's the Aquilini-Benning super bros. plan. It's worked well in the past so why not continue, right?
He doesn't bring to the table what the team already doesn't have (on a barren blueline in terms of skill as it is). The skill I'm referring to is DEFENSIVE play on the blueline.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hundreds of links yet you cant produce any

You gave me a link from the beginning of January thats focused on the oilers when you claimed earlier today that theres been reports in the last few days with teams in general

I said that there were hundreds of links posted in the last few days making it hard to find a specific one, not there were hundreds of links about this one thing, which would be the strangest claim ever.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
It's inexcusable.

The people in here defending the move are the same ones that defended the OEL move, and we know how that turned out.

It's truly a disastrous day for the fans who care about a Stanley Cup parade, because with short-sighted moves like this, we won't be celebrating one for at least another 5+ years.

I can watch another 10 years of Canucks if they care at all about winning a cup... but I don't see it.

We watch the teams who win and what they do and the Canucks are always about shortcuts.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
"I'm jumping to conclusions and I don't want to be interrupted".
Look, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong. What's a crock is you and a few other posters looking down on the rest of the fanbase, somehow dumbfounded at a perfectly normal reaction to the stunt the Canucks just pulled. A decade long, bottom dwelling team that is at the bottom of the standings yet again this year, that somehow still possess a bottom 5 barren prospect pool, decides to trade two top 40 picks in the best draft in a decade and somehow we're all wrong for being upset at that.

Like I said: crock of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad