Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Could people stop calling him "marky"? God that's awful

The deal itself isn't awful, but it is too high for the VERY little that markstrom has accomplished. One year of spurts of excellent play while still not even the defined starter should garner less $ than this contract

Valid point about his accomplishments to date maybe not warrantying this deal.

But, think about all of the starting goalies and which ones are making less than $4 million who are in their Ufa years? We are excluding the likes of Gibson, Jones, valeslevski.

I do t think there is a team that pays less than $4 million for that type of goalie. Think Elliott makes just under $4 million. I put Talbot and Allen as comparables. Both annointed starters for their clubs.

Markstrom comes in lower and for shorter term to bridge the team until Demko.

As for markstrom development, just look at all of the other panthers from that era who didn't develop. Not a pretty list. Had to be rebuilt in Vancouver.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Lots of overreactions
I'm just gonna say
Vancouver is set in net for the next 10 years

Sorry, but I just had to chuckle over this one. Vancouver was set in net for the next decade just a few years ago. Sometimes things don't quite work out the way we expect.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
except that's not the case...been extremely underwhelming thusfar in his short career..

So you think that this will for sure turn out to be a poor signing? I'm glad you're able to say so with such conviction; all of us are just speculating while you're reading your crystal ball..

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
So you think that this will for sure turn out to be a poor signing? I'm glad you're able to say so with such conviction; all of us are just speculating while you're reading your crystal ball..

No I have no crystal ball, just based on his body of work it's a definite gamble. I feel that he could/should have been signed for a smaller cap hit. I personally feel it was an overpay but you/others are certainly entitled to your opinion/disagreement.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Markstrom's first good NHL season was last year, but he never looked like an NHL goaltender before that. Provided he continues to play at last year's level, this isn't a bad deal. Hopefully he's turned a corner.

I think Demko will be a stud, he's the real future Vancouver goalie IMO. No need to rush him though.

Peter Skudra

Nucks fan since '02
Nov 10, 2013
Seattle with JNelson
except that's not the case...been extremely underwhelming thusfar in his short career..

He's shown a steady increase in performance the last 2 seasons. Trust me I'm a vocal Benning disliker overvall, but you clearly either haven't followed Vancouver (a fair assumption we had a bad team last year and you support a team in the East) or are just making negative comments for the sake of it.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013

Actually Markstrom was one of our bright spots last year. Not saying much I know but he was exceptional during stretches last year. We told everyone how good Schneider was and nobody believed us. Its cool though. You can think whatever you want. People will chime in with BS without knowing and then never be held accountable for it.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Expensive deal for a backup, yikes.

It would be, if it was for a backup. This year, he makes $1.6 million (not bad for a backup) and will probably be splitting games with Miller this year. Next year, after Miller's contract expires, he becomes the starter which makes his extension reasonable for a 1A or 1B goalie.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
vancouver went from having Luongo and Schneider to paying Markstrom and Miller 9.67 million dollars this year.

EDIT: I thought Markstrom was an RFA and this contract was for this year so nevermind. Still a bit high imo

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
vancouver went from having Luongo and Schneider to paying Markstrom and Miller 9.67 million dollars this year.

EDIT: I thought Markstrom was an RFA and this contract was for this year so nevermind. Still a bit high imo

I'm glad you made the correction, because this is the kind of mistake people are making, and then beaking off about what a bad deal it is. It is a slight gamble, but not that big of one really. Miller rides off into the sunset this year (hoping he somehow gets traded at the deadline, actually) while Markstrom makes relative peanuts, and then next year starts making a very reasonable starter's salary while holding down the fort for a few years.

It's actually, IMO, a very smart move, and I certainly am no apologist for every move this management team has made.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'm glad you made the correction, because this is the kind of mistake people are making, and then beaking off about what a bad deal it is. It is a slight gamble, but not that big of one really. Miller rides off into the sunset this year (hoping he somehow gets traded at the deadline, actually) while Markstrom makes relative peanuts, and then next year starts making a very reasonable starter's salary while holding down the fort for a few years.

It's actually, IMO, a very smart move, and I certainly am no apologist for every move this management team has made.

What are the Canuck's other options really a year from now?

Bishop should sign with a contending team.
MAF has a limited NTC, so he can pick his team and I don't think the Canucks will be on his list.

Are acquiring Howard, Varlamnov, Lehtonen, Halak really that good an option given those guys earn about $2 million more per season than Markstrom's deal?

There would be former #1 in UFA Pavelec next season. Maybe Elliott if he doesn't re-up in Calgary, but IMO he's an excellent bridge option for the Flames until either Gillies or MacDonald are ready.
Both Philly goalies are UFA and one of them won't be brought back.

I don't think the Canucks are looking at his Florida numbers when making this deal. Really only care about what he has done since joining the organization in 2014 following the Luongo deal. For them, it's enough to warrant an extension. It's a risk, but at least with this move, there is a legit chance of upside. I don't think any of the others who were signed early and overpaid had the same upside potential (Dorsett, Scibsa, Sutter).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Could people stop calling him "marky"? God that's awful

The deal itself isn't awful, but it is too high for the VERY little that markstrom has accomplished. One year of spurts of excellent play while still not even the defined starter should garner less $ than this contract

No cause its his nick name so get used to seeing Marky all over the place :nod:

The deal is ok its not a steal but its not a over payment. I tried to make clear for everyone what happend here and thats that Benning could of got a lower price cause his numbers werent that great but in reality all Canucks fans know he really did have a great year but had the leagues worst d in front of him. Miller too actually

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Feel sorry for the Nucks, so much money tied up on very average and somewhat unproven goaltending

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Feel sorry for the Nucks, so much money tied up on very average and somewhat unproven goaltending

Thanks for your concern but I'm not sure you have been following along. Goaltending is the least of our current concerns. Both goalies were actually bright spots last year. Markstrom is still only making 1.6 million this year, and his new contract kicks in next year, once Miller and his contract are gone. He will then be our starter for a few years, at a very reasonable cap hit, until Demko comes along.

Things can go wrong, of course, but this is a good plan, and I prefer the Canucks' goaltending scenario over the next several years to that of the Flames.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
No I have no crystal ball, just based on his body of work it's a definite gamble. I feel that he could/should have been signed for a smaller cap hit. I personally feel it was an overpay but you/others are certainly entitled to your opinion/disagreement.

Fair enough, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. I'd remind you though that it's harder to sign an upcoming ufa to a short term deal for cheap; we paid roughly 600k extra for the ability to wash our hands of him in three years if he's not up to snuff. I agree that we slightly overpaid, but considering where this team is it's hard to blame management for showing commitment to a guy they traded Luongo for and have invested several years of development into, especially since he's done his part to make it a good investment to this point in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad