Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Not a bad price at all, if he can improve. Right now, he's looking like a 1B kind of goalie, and as we saw with Reimer, that's kind of market value for a 1B goalie.

Mad Brills*

IMO, it's a bit of an overpay, but a nice bridge to Demko, as he'd be almost 24 when this deal is over.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't see why he gets over $1.3M more than Gibson in a 3 year deal. Seems like overpayment.
Demko is really good though, so at least this doesn't screw him over.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
a career high of 32 games in the nhl and they gave him 3.67m per and 3 years. sorry but that is really high.

Markstrom isnt worth 3.67 mil but what are the Canucks going to do instead? Re sign Miller?

I remember when Markstrom was put on waivers. We are very lucky he wasnt claimed.

• Haha
Reactions: Burt Macklin

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Doesn't this guy already have hip or knee issues? Seems like all these big goalies can't stay healthy, which is probably the downside to having one.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
a career high of 32 games in the nhl and they gave him 3.67m per and 3 years. sorry but that is really high.

It's not really that much if he has another good season. Pretty hard to get a decent starting goalie for less than 4/5 million these days. I'm just hoping this means the end of the Ryan Miller era and that Markstrom gets more starts next year.

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
not bad in my opinion, I was hoping around 3 but he could end up being our 1A goalie before seasons end depending on what happens with Miller. 3 years is perfect

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
There was also some speculation that the adjustments to goalie equipment could impact Markstrom since he apparently wears giant pants. Media in Vancouver was speculating they should maybe wait to see how he adjusts, but it's Benning so....PAY HIM ALL THE DOLLARS!

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Not a bad price at all, if he can improve. Right now, he's looking like a 1B kind of goalie, and as we saw with Reimer, that's kind of market value for a 1B goalie.

Reimer has proven much more at this point. Last year was the first time we've seen any sort of decent stretch from Markstrom. Way too much money for a still unproven player who I admit I am a big fan of but still, way too much money.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Yup most of the Vancouver writers iirc said that for contract comp's.

I don't think Reimer is a fair comparable.

Reimer has started 196 games, and has 6 seasons of 25+ starts. Career numbers are 2.79 GAA and 0.914 save %.

Markstrom has started 73 games, and has 1 season of 25+ starts. Career numbers are 3.00 GAA and 0.904 save %.

All of this with Reimer being less than 2 years older. If Markstrom's agent managed to use Reimer as a comparable, he should get a big raise.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yikes.

This is way too much term and money for a guy that has proved nothing in the NHL.

Benning continues to be horrible. Nothing new here.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Another day, another stupid Canucks move. You've gotta respect their consistency if nothing else.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
haha oh man I know everyone rips Benning and I usually defend him he's obv good at drafting and I personally have liked his trades but his contracts are awful. Even though I don't neccesarily think this is an kind of anchor you just kinda would think 2-2.5 would have been fair. As I say not a huge deal considering where this team is at but just quite high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad