Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It seems like an unnecessary deal to do right now. Even if Markstrom splits starts this year and plays really well, I can't see him being worth much more than he got on this contract. However, if he is mediocre or not very good while splitting starts, then Vancouver has to go out and pay for another 1b starter type, which can be costly.

I just have no idea what Vancouver is doing. Admittedly I don't know a lot about their prospects, but they just seem to be caught in limbo between sort of trying to compete and sort of trying to retool/rebuild.

KrazyCanuck19

Sep 25, 2003
2010 Host City
Isn't he back-up material at this stage?

He came here as backup material with major flaws in his game that kept him the AHL and was on waivers. Since then, he's worked with Cloutier and Melanson on fixing his flaws. He played great for Utica and carried the to a Calder cup final. He's continued to look great in the NHL and should supplant Miller as starter at some point next year.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Benning could of negotiated the price down on Markys numbers but tbh and im the biggest Benning basher on this boards Marky really did play lights out last season with the worst of defensive lineups in front of him. Like just AHL bad and he played on his head. Actually Miller too. Of all are massive problems last year the goaltending was the one bright spot. Hard for other fans to really appreciate that unless they watched all the defensive brutality that was the Canucks last year. Compared to other goalies Marky could even deserve more but his numbers couldnt possibly show that and trust me this is not me being a Canucks homer cause i will bash on Benning for all the dumbness that he is

Last edited:

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Benning could of negotiated the price down on Markys numbers but tbh and im the biggest Benning basher on this boards Marky really did play lights out last season with the worst of defensive lineups in front of him. Like just AHL bad and he played on his head. Actually Miller too. Of all are massive problems last year the goaltending was the one bright spot. Hard for other fans to really appreciate that unless they watched all the defensive brutality that was the Canucks last year. Compared to other goalies Marky could even deserve more but his numbers couldnt possibly show that and trust me this is not me being a Canucks homer cause i will bash on Benning for all the dumness that he is

Well played.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
There's this other goalie that the Canucks had in their system for a long time named Cory Schneider and his trajectory was very similar. The difference in the underlying numbers is that Markstrom has yet to play on a good team, while Schneider was on a team that won back to back President's trophies.

Yes Markstrom is being paid based on his potential, but if you actually watched him play over the past 2 seasons, you would know that he has improved dramatically and is good enough to be a starter.

[MOD]

Cory Schneider second worst sample ever (2 games NHL) at any level is as good as Markstroms BEST NHL season.

By the time Schneider was 26 he was sporting a .929 sv% as an NHL goalie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Cory Schneider second worst sample ever (2 games NHL) at any level is as good as Markstroms BEST NHL season.

We didn't get our hands on Markstrom until recently though. So, despite age, his trajectory seems similar.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bet Markström is pretty happy he stuck with it in North America and didn't go home. Not many guys would've done that and kept fighting for an NHL spot. Now he gets his reward with a big contract. As a longtime fan of Markström that's real nice to see.

As for the contract itself, yeah it's probably a bit of an overpayment but not by that much really. He earns less than Pavelec for instance, and it's only 3 years anyway.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It seems like an unnecessary deal to do right now. Even if Markstrom splits starts this year and plays really well, I can't see him being worth much more than he got on this contract. However, if he is mediocre or not very good while splitting starts, then Vancouver has to go out and pay for another 1b starter type, which can be costly.

I just have no idea what Vancouver is doing. Admittedly I don't know a lot about their prospects, but they just seem to be caught in limbo between sort of trying to compete and sort of trying to retool/rebuild.

So even if he plays really well next year and proves he can be a starter, he doesn't deserve 3.6 million? As a starter? Isn't that kind of how hockey works?

From reading this post sounds like you don't know anything about our team period. Best you don't comment on things you don't know anything about?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

On a presidents trophy team? Now what two NHL teams has Markstrom played for again? Hmmmmmmm

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Canuck fans can attempt to defend this trade yet fail to answer the question...how did Markstrom have the leverage to get this deal in the first place?

Soooooo we should wait till the end of next year to sign him, when he is a UFA? So lets say he plays 40 games next year, puts up better numbers than last year, which is entirely reasonable, and at the end of the year he asks for more term and more money? What do we do then pay him? Let him walk? It's a calculated risk for sure, but its a good one, we will be paying our starting goalie 3.6 million a year. Seems like a good risk to me.

The best part about this is, if Benning had waited and then overpaid Markstrom next year, the same haters on here would be saying "oh Benning is a tool why didn't he sign him to a cheap short term deal last year when he had the leverage"

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Soooooo we should wait till the end of next year to sign him, when he is a UFA? So lets say he plays 40 games next year, puts up better numbers than last year, which is entirely reasonable, and at the end of the year he asks for more term and more money? What do we do then pay him? Let him walk? It's a calculated risk for sure, but its a good one, we will be paying our starting goalie 3.6 million a year. Seems like a good risk to me.

The best part about this is, if Benning had waited and then overpaid Markstrom next year, the same haters on here would be saying "oh Benning is a tool why didn't he sign him to a cheap short term deal last year when he had the leverage"

I gotta say that's pretty short term thinking. Only a team that believes they will be a cup contender within these four years would probably do that (which is what Benning and Vancouver management seem to go all out for). Don't you think that he would get more money in four years when he is much more developed, instead of next year?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I gotta say that's pretty short term thinking. Only a team that believes they will be a cup contender within these four years would probably do that (which is what Benning and Vancouver management seem to go all out for). Don't you think that he would get more money in four years when he is much more developed, instead of next year?

We keep him short term, let him be the starting guy while making a pretty small salary. Let Demko develop properly and then let him take over the reigns, seems like a good plan to me.

I'm confused by your reply, should we not have resigned Markstrom period? Should we have waited till next year and paid more? Do no teams other then Stanley cup contenders sign starting goalies for short term?

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I don't see why he gets over $1.3M more than Gibson in a 3 year deal. Seems like overpayment.
Demko is really good though, so at least this doesn't screw him over.

Markstrom's deal covers 3 UFA years.

Apples and oranges.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Benning could of negotiated the price down on Markys numbers but tbh and im the biggest Benning basher on this boards Marky really did play lights out last season with the worst of defensive lineups in front of him. Like just AHL bad and he played on his head. Actually Miller too. Of all are massive problems last year the goaltending was the one bright spot. Hard for other fans to really appreciate that unless they watched all the defensive brutality that was the Canucks last year. Compared to other goalies Marky could even deserve more but his numbers couldnt possibly show that and trust me this is not me being a Canucks homer cause i will bash on Benning for all the dumness that he is

Could people stop calling him "marky"? God that's awful

The deal itself isn't awful, but it is too high for the VERY little that markstrom has accomplished. One year of spurts of excellent play while still not even the defined starter should garner less $ than this contract

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
We keep him short term, let him be the starting guy while making a pretty small salary. Let Demko develop properly and then let him take over the reigns, seems like a good plan to me.

I'm confused by your reply, should we not have resigned Markstrom period? Should we have waited till next year and paid more? Do no teams other then Stanley cup contenders sign starting goalies for short term?
I'm just saying that if you would be worried about his salary, you should be more worried about it in 4 years (if you keep him).

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I'm just saying that if you would be worried about his salary, you should be more worried about it in 4 years (if you keep him).

Why would we be worried about our starting goalie making 3.6 million a year? I dunno man seems pretty cheap to me.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
Canucks had allot of problems last season
Goaltending was not one of them.
Both Miller and Markstrom were great and with Miller gone after this season if makes sense that Markstrom would get low-level starter money because that's what he is this point and for a goalie he's still reasonably young so him improving further is not out of the question

Reactions: Burt Macklin

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
dont forget that Markstrom was injured at the start of the season and was out for 6 weeks. I'd say it's a little of an over payment but he was very good for us this year despite our record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad