Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks Sign Jacob Markstrom (3 years, $3.67M AAV)

Kip96

Feb 8, 2010
West Coast
So many posters who clearly don't watch the Canucks play

Goaltending was very good last year considering we have the softest D core in the league and very little goal support

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Reading the posts in this thread has reminded me of how Dubnyk got treated on these boards. A good goalie with lots of potential that is on a bad team with terrible defence. Once Dubnyk got traded to a decent team (Minnie), people started to realize that he's a pretty good goalie and stopped herping the derp on him. Similar situation with Markstrom.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Fair enough, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. I'd remind you though that it's harder to sign an upcoming ufa to a short term deal for cheap; we paid roughly 600k extra for the ability to wash our hands of him in three years if he's not up to snuff. I agree that we slightly overpaid, but considering where this team is it's hard to blame management for showing commitment to a guy they traded Luongo for and have invested several years of development into, especially since he's done his part to make it a good investment to this point in time.
Wash our hands after 4 years not 3 (1+3 extension). Not that I think they will need to.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Reading the posts in this thread has reminded me of how Dubnyk got treated on these boards. A good goalie with lots of potential that is on a bad team with terrible defence. Once Dubnyk got traded to a decent team (Minnie), people started to realize that he's a pretty good goalie and stopped herping the derp on him. Similar situation with Markstrom.

What happened with Dubnyk's stints with Nashville and Arizona?

Not sure how you can compare Dubnyk before he left Edmonton and Markstrom today?

Markstrom - NHL
2010-2016 83GP .904 S%
2010/11 1GP .857 S%
2011/12 7GP .923 S%
2012/13 23GP .901 S%
2013/14 16GP .873 S%
2014/15 3GP .879 S%
2015/16 32GP .915 S%

Dubnyk - NHL with Oilers
2009-2014 EDM 173GP .909 S%
2009/10 EDM 19GP .889 S%
2010/11 EDM 35GP .916 S%
2011/12 EDM 47GP .914 S%
2012/13 EDM 38GP .921 S%
2013/14 EDM 32GP .894 S%

2013/14 NSH 2GP .850 S%

2014/15 MIN 39GP .936 S%
2015/16 MIN 67GP .918 S%

If you see here Dubnyk actually played very solid for Edmonton, but he had a very bad 32 game stint once they named him our starter... not sure what went wrong - likely coaching and loss of confidence. Then the buffoons traded him... with 50% retention. I think Dubbie was another victim of Eakins coaching.

If you look at Dubnyk 2010-2013 stats with Edmonton (looking past his rookie campaign), it was almost identical to last year's stats with MIN (a much better defensive team). You could say his stats in Edmonton were better than he achieved last year with MIN, because of the defensive strength of the team infront of him. Take away 2013/14 (three quarters of a season- very bad) and 2014/15 (half a season - very good) and you have a .918 S% goalie on what you could arguably say the majority of the games were played with a worse D than VAN had last year. If MIN paid Dubnyk based on his 39GP in 2014/15 he would have been the highest paid goalie in the NHL.

If you look at Markstrom 2011-2016 (looking past his rookie campaign), he looks like a sub .910 S% goalie. I realize he had a good 2nd half last year and put up some decent numbers in spite of playing behind a Dline with many injuries, but it seems premature to give Markstrom a contract like this, a full year before he becomes a UFA, especially considering his struggles in the NHL before a 32 game stint where he performed much higher than the rest of his NHL experience.

IF Markstrom performs to the level we saw last year then this contract will be alright. Like I said, it just seems a bit premature.

I have also seen a lot of hopes put on Demko, whose College stats look incredible and you have reason to be excited about him as a prospect, but be very careful... there is great disparity in College hockey and he played on a powerhouse. I know you are hoping for another Schneider (without the trade)... but you should wait to see how his game translates professionally before already anointing him your starter in 3 years. And, yes, this coming from an Oiler fan who has witnessed much hype about of many players who have... well, let's just say "they ain't what they were supposed to be". Hellebuyck's game transferred well, O'Connor struggled in the AHL last year with .895 S%. Demko looks solid but a little early to be crowning him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What happened with Dubnyk's stints with Nashville and Arizona?

Not sure how you can compare Dubnyk before he left Edmonton and Markstrom today?

Markstrom - NHL
2010-2016 83GP .904 S%
2010/11 1GP .857 S%
2011/12 7GP .923 S%
2012/13 23GP .901 S%
2013/14 16GP .873 S%
2014/15 3GP .879 S%
2015/16 32GP .915 S%

Dubnyk - NHL with Oilers
2009-2014 EDM 173GP .909 S%
2009/10 EDM 19GP .889 S%
2010/11 EDM 35GP .916 S%
2011/12 EDM 47GP .914 S%
2012/13 EDM 38GP .921 S%
2013/14 EDM 32GP .894 S%

2013/14 NSH 2GP .850 S%

2014/15 MIN 39GP .936 S%
2015/16 MIN 67GP .918 S%

If you see here Dubnyk actually played very solid for Edmonton, but he had a very bad 32 game stint once they named him our starter... not sure what went wrong - likely coaching and loss of confidence. Then the buffoons traded him... with 50% retention. I think Dubbie was another victim of Eakins coaching.

If you look at Dubnyk 2010-2013 stats with Edmonton (looking past his rookie campaign), it was almost identical to last year's stats with MIN (a much better defensive team). You could say his stats in Edmonton were better than he achieved last year with MIN, because of the defensive strength of the team infront of him. Take away 2013/14 (three quarters of a season- very bad) and 2014/15 (half a season - very good) and you have a .918 S% goalie on what you could arguably say the majority of the games were played with a worse D than VAN had last year. If MIN paid Dubnyk based on his 39GP in 2014/15 he would have been the highest paid goalie in the NHL.

If you look at Markstrom 2011-2016 (looking past his rookie campaign), he looks like a sub .910 S% goalie. I realize he had a good 2nd half last year and put up some decent numbers in spite of playing behind a Dline with many injuries, but it seems premature to give Markstrom a contract like this, a full year before he becomes a UFA, especially considering his struggles in the NHL before a 32 game stint where he performed much higher than the rest of his NHL experience.

IF Markstrom performs to the level we saw last year then this contract will be alright. Like I said, it just seems a bit premature.

I have also seen a lot of hopes put on Demko, whose College stats look incredible and you have reason to be excited about him as a prospect, but be very careful... there is great disparity in College hockey and he played on a powerhouse. I know you are hoping for another Schneider (without the trade)... but you should wait to see how his game translates professionally before already anointing him your starter in 3 years. And, yes, this coming from an Oiler fan who has witnessed much hype about of many players who have... well, let's just say "they ain't what they were supposed to be". Hellebuyck's game transferred well, O'Connor struggled in the AHL last year with .895 S%. Demko looks solid but a little early to be crowning him.

Yeah Dubnyk wasn't that bad in Edmonton, outside of his rookie season and his last year there. He was above average pretty much every other year there. And he was above average in Arizona before the trade to Minnesota, the same year that Mike Smith was absolutely dreadful behind the same Arizona team. I still think Dubnyk is in the dime a dozen category among NHL starting goaltenders, but he's not as bad as he was either of those two seasons and he's not as good as he was in 14-15. He's pretty much in the middle of that, like he returned to this past season, after two straight years of the complete extremes in either direction.

I remember seeing a lot of Markstrom when he played the Panthers and he just wasn't very good. He didn't look like an NHL caliber goalie for much of that time. Or at least not a starter. Too many weak goals allowed. He wasn't as bad as Clemmensen, but he wasn't even able to put up the numbers that Tim Thomas was that one season. I know it was Tim Thomas, but it's not like he was the Bruins version of Thomas and he was 39 and sat out a whole year before that. But when Luongo got there, he seemed to pick up right where he left off from Vancouver with absolutely no drop off. So I don't think it was ''Poor defense'' as much as it was just that Markstrom was a poor NHL caliber goaltender before this past season. And the Canucks defense was awful last year and Markstrom looked fine for once. Last year's Canucks defense might have been worse than what Florida was icing when he was down there.

I think the contract is no big deal if Markstrom continues to play to the level he did this past season.

If anything though, Willie's system might be making the goaltenders look better, as we all saw what happened to Eddie Lack after he left it!:sarcasm:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Markstrom lacks consistency and it's the biggest thing that has held him back, he's pretty good in the AHL but when the competition is much better, he struggles mightily, he's probably better suited to be a 25-30 game back-up, but if you want him as your future #1, man you are in a world of hurt and desperate as hell.

I've seen Markstrom with the Panthers and he wasn't very good, I've seen seen a dozen+ games of the Canucks and he just doesn't look all that good and there's nothing the Canucks fans can spin about him to make that contract look good. He's just not very good. He'll be over taken by another goalie probably within a year or two as the back-up, if not sooner.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Soooooo we should wait till the end of next year to sign him, when he is a UFA? So lets say he plays 40 games next year, puts up better numbers than last year, which is entirely reasonable, and at the end of the year he asks for more term and more money? What do we do then pay him? Let him walk? It's a calculated risk for sure, but its a good one, we will be paying our starting goalie 3.6 million a year. Seems like a good risk to me.

The best part about this is, if Benning had waited and then overpaid Markstrom next year, the same haters on here would be saying "oh Benning is a tool why didn't he sign him to a cheap short term deal last year when he had the leverage"

If he only plays 40 games next year then I don't think he would have received significantly more than he's making on this contract. Essentially this contract is gambling on Markstrom taking steps forward instead of waiting out and being more certain about what we have in Markstrom before signing him to an extension. He was on waivers the season before this one and it's not like he lit the world on fire this year even if it was on a bad team.

I don't think we got enough of a discount to make it really worth the risk. If we had waited it out and he performed well I would have had no issue paying a bit more for a sure thing (or close to that anyway).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So many posters who clearly don't watch the Canucks play

Goaltending was very good last year considering we have the softest D core in the league and very little goal support

That argument might have worked like what, 15yrs ago? You then got streaming (legal or illegal means) and then NHL packages that let you literally watch every team play in the league.

People are more in the know than you think and it's amusing to see that excuse here over and over again.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Markstrom lacks consistency and it's the biggest thing that has held him back, he's pretty good in the AHL but when the competition is much better, he struggles mightily, he's probably better suited to be a 25-30 game back-up, but if you want him as your future #1, man you are in a world of hurt and desperate as hell.

I've seen Markstrom with the Panthers and he wasn't very good, I've seen seen a dozen+ games of the Canucks and he just doesn't look all that good and there's nothing the Canucks fans can spin about him to make that contract look good. He's just not very good. He'll be over taken by another goalie probably within a year or two as the back-up, if not sooner.

Pretty good in the AHL = Carried a team to the finals and won goalie of the year
Florida -> Vancouver = Development? ever heard of it?
1.55 mil cap hit next year as backup/splitting time with Miller
3.67 mil cap hit as a starter - nobody expects him to be a vezina nominee, he's a stop gap option until Thatcher Demko is ready. A cheap one at that, he has improved massively since his Florida days and will do a good job
The least of the Canucks problems was goaltending last year, he was very good a lot of his games

You always post in the Canucks threads and I hope you are a troll because otherwise you are clueless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad