Confirmed with Link: [VAN/BUF] Canucks acquire F Josh Bloom for D Riley Stillman

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Haven't seen Bloom play, but his production for his d+2 is nothing spectacular. Not signing him and getting the extra contract spot may be the best move. Getting out of having Stillman next year is a plus.

Also because I have to:

Edit: Bloom is under contact I see.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Haven't seen Bloom play, but his production for his d+2 is nothing spectacular. Not signing him and getting the extra contract spot may be the best move. Getting out of having Stillman next year is a plus.

Also because I have to:

Edit: Bloom is under contact I see.

He's already signed to an ELC. So not signing him is not an option.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Solid deal any way you look at it. Get rid of Stillman's contract and pick up a guy who could be anywhere from a solid AHL player bottom 9 player in the NHL. If he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out.

Stillman was NOT working out.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I like the size and skill set of Bloom even if he only tops out as a fourth line energy/PK guy. Lord knows we need all the help we can get in that department and signing a new fourth line of UFA’s every year seems to make us worse.

Elmer the draft guru should have been selling off players like Stillman to acquire later picks to draft and develop players like Bloom over the years instead of overpaying guys like Beagle, Schaller, etc to fill in the bottom of the roster.
It’s yet another part of GMing that Benning completely failed at and it’s good to see its being addressed.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This trade is like Franchise mode in NHL 2000 where you're making trades, and you know the game won't do it, but you try it regardless, and it randomly accept the trade.

"Oh damn. Shweet."

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The difference now is that Allvin and the Canucks are acquiring these guys with almost no money down and no payments for years.

Whereas Benning was coughing up second and third round draft picks to acquire them. I have no idea whether guys like Studnicka, Kratzov, Bloom or even Bear have long term futures with the Canucks.

But the cost of acquiring them was for peanuts.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Very happy getting rid of Riley Stillman who is just about the most mistake prone defenseman that you can get. Although Stillman was starting to play better hockey as of late, I would much prefer to have another prospect for the cupboard. Stillman is a 7/8 defenseman on a good team, and Bloom sounds like he is a B level prospect.

Overall a nice trade by Allvin that makes the previous Dickenson trade not look so bad.

I don't treat them as single trade. They are 2 seperate trades.

The Dickenson trade is still awful. We wasted a 2nd and traded for one of the worst Dmen you could imagine.

However, this trade good, even if it turns out to be a nothing burger. We traded away one of the worst Dmen you could imagine without major penalty, even got an intriguing prospect. They could have waived him without major penalty too, given the trade it sounds like he would have been claimed.

Reactions: F A N

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
The difference now is that Allvin and the Canucks are acquiring these guys with almost no money down and no payments for years.

Whereas Benning was coughing up second and third round draft picks to acquire them. I have no idea whether guys like Studnicka, Kratzov, Bloom or even Bear have long term futures with the Canucks.

But the cost of acquiring them was for peanuts.
Meanwhile Jimbo gave either a 2nd or 3rd for...

*check notes*

Lindey Vey, Adam Clenndening, Derek Dorsett, Andrey Pedan, Sven Baerschi, Jason Dickinson

Reactions: SantosLHalpar

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Amusingly, the whole Jason Dickinson trade tree started by dealing away a 3rd in 2021 for him so by picking up a prospect who was taken in that same 3rd round in 2021 we’ve kind of recovered the initial cost, if not the cost of dumping him.

Reactions: me2 and The Poacher

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
The best thing about this extremely minor trade is that management realized a mistake and corrected it rather than doubling down on their incompetence.

Reactions: me2 and drax0s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad