Player Discussion Valeri Nichushkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorwiN

Oct 23, 2006
Dallas, TX
Obviously I'd have to know the context, but you honestly have a situation where the young potential draftee can say one of two things. Either:

A) You'll never regret drafting me.
or
B) You'll live to regret not drafting me.

He said the wrong one, and I totally agree with the team scratching him off their first-round draft list. It's a **** attitude, and I wouldn't really want it anywhere near the Stars. A good prospect should be worrying about making his team better or making himself better, not rubbing it in the faces of people who chose someone else.

A player would have to be so far and away ahead of the competition for me to pick him with that kind of stuff being said.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
And yes lots of scouts, gm, etc were pissed Nichushkin didn't do the physical tests or interview well with them and crossed him off their boards. Dallas was the only team it seemed in the top 10 who liked his interview and didn't care about the physical tests. Val, himself said he wanted to come to Dallas and was thrilled when they took him because Dallas was the best interview he had and the team who really understood him.

Reaching out and connecting with an 18 year old from Russia can't be easy but Nill and co did, to the mutual benefit of both parties. Nieuwendyk never would have bothered and we'd be a worse off franchise for it cause while I'm sure Domi and Wennberg are going to be nice players I don't think anyone would trade Val straight up for one of them.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
And yes lots of scouts, gm, etc were pissed Nichushkin didn't do the physical tests or interview well with them and crossed him off their boards. Dallas was the only team it seemed in the top 10 who liked his interview and didn't care about the physical tests. Val, himself said he wanted to come to Dallas and was thrilled when they took him because Dallas was the best interview he had and the team who really understood him.

Reaching out and connecting with an 18 year old from Russia can't be easy but Nill and co did, to the mutual benefit of both parties. Nieuwendyk never would have bothered and we'd be a worse off franchise for it cause while I'm sure Domi and Wennberg are going to be nice players I don't think anyone would trade Val straight up for one of them.

I wouldn't bet on it

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The rumors were that Nieuwendyk desperately wanted Kadri and when Toronto took him he turned to Glennie. The scouts from the beginning had Kulikov higher than both.

That you'll need to produce a source on. I've never seen that once honestly.

Sounds like the scouts had it Kadri then Kulikov from every story I've read/seen. I remember it the way piqued has it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I thought that Dallas had wanted Kadri alot but were really hoping for OEL

That's something I remember Jason saying, but I've never seen in writing.

It's reasonable though as he did go higher. He was that seasons Ehlers from what I remember ... he just actually did go much higher in the Top 10. Ehlers fell a bit compared to the hype ... not as much as Teravainen though.

Some started pimping him as Top 10 or close to 5 just before the draft ... then he fell to Chicago.

I guess OEL is the best example of a late season riser to really jump almost Top 5. I've got to be forgetting someone though.

Fiala actually flew up faster than Ehlers and later in the season. He didn't go as high as some were saying, but Fiala really wasn't even getting talked about until January.

Still seems like OEL is the most recent, most successful out of no where Top 10 pick though.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site

It's reasonable though as he did go higher. He was that seasons Ehlers from what I remember ... he just actually did go much higher in the Top 10. Ehlers fell a bit compared to the hype ... not as much as Teravainen though.

Some started pimping him as Top 10 or close to 5 just before the draft ... then he fell to Chicago.

I guess OEL is the best example of a late season riser to really jump almost Top 5. I've got to be forgetting someone though.

Fiala actually flew up faster than Ehlers and later in the season. He didn't go as high as some were saying, but Fiala really wasn't even getting talked about until January.

Still seems like OEL is the most recent, most successful out of no where Top 10 pick though.
I think the other example is Hampus Lindholm who was taken 6th. Both seem like damn fine picks.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think the other example is Hampus Lindholm who was taken 6th. Both seem like damn fine picks.

Yeah I knew I forgot one. He looks like he'll be part of a very good Anaheim team for a while.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003

I think Dallas had a lot more information, than to simply rely on an interview. Actions always speak louder than words, and I'm pretty sure Nill would have had scouts in Russia find out about Nichushkin's work ethic and attitude. Getting positive reports from there would and should override one interview which could easily be misinterpreted. Unless the interview is clearly and particularly terrible. I'll bet they did the same homework on Ho Sang and found a lot of the positive reports on work ethic and attitude present with Nichushkin were missing with Ho Sang, and the interview likely just confirmed what they already knew.

As for Nichushkin, he's still raw as hell for me, and everything comes in flashes. If he has the work ethic to improve and put it all together with consistency, I'm confident he'll be a monster within the next 2 years.

Last edited:

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
That you'll need to produce a source on. I've never seen that once honestly.

Sounds like the scouts had it Kadri then Kulikov from every story I've read/seen. I remember it the way piqued has it.

I don't think there is one, but has just been pure speculation that Kadri is originally who Nieuwy wanted. Now for the scouts, I don't remember hearing their thoughts on Kadri, but rather Kulikov was their guy.

________

Feb 6, 2006
I thought that Dallas had wanted Kadri alot but were really hoping for OEL

It was the Stars two targets for the #8 spot were Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Kadri both taken the two picks before. So they scrambled for a trade down, couldn't find a good offer. Even the Stars twitter mentioned "trade down." when the Stars went on the clock. So they took the next best player on the board in Glennie. Even though they never interviewed him or anything. Which brings up the point, why would you rank Glennie that high if you're not going to talk to him prior to the draft?

Prior to what Gare Joyce said last year, he said this.
Gare Joyce said:
There is zero doubt -- I mean, zero -- that Dallas would have taken Kulikov if he weren't Russian. I can't stress the authority that I have that on. Just wouldn't go there in the top 10, a mistake as it turns out (so far).

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Probably not quite the place for it, but since we are bashing on Niewy as GM, I guess we can call the Ribs for Eakin and a 2nd (Winther) a win for Joe now. Ribs maybe out of the league, and while he did have the one good contract year for the Caps, we managed to ship out a declining, problematic player for our No. 2 center (ok, now 3rd) that will be with us for years.

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
joe had a lot of good moves. the kari trade. the ribeiro trade. the jagr trade.

he had his flaws, and totally is a worse choice than Nill... and i agree that joe never would have drafted val in a million years... but a lot of nill's success has been from using joe's pool of talent and youth to grab big fish.

would joe have been able to land seguin and spezza for those prices? i doubt it... but would nill have been able to land them without the precursory moves by joe? equally as doubtfull.

goal scored by jim nill. assist by joe nieuwendyk and les jackson.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
One of my favourite players, sad to see his thread derailed by conversation which doesn't even involve him...

MetalGodAOD*

One of my favourite players, sad to see his thread derailed by conversation which doesn't even involve him...

There's 38 pages in this discussion, you're welcome to read any of them. The original point of this discussion involved whether we'd have drafted him under our old GM, so don't worry so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad