Player Discussion Valeri Nichushkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Oh absolutely....give Nuke the abundance of PP time that Chiasson had (tops among rookies), and who knows, maybe he would've at least sniffed a Calder nomination. Or at the very least, improved our special teams stats.

MetalGodAOD*

He was getting second unit PP time, he just wasn't very effective with it. He probably should be a guy down low as opposed to up top next year. Let him bull his way to the net.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Oh absolutely....give Nuke the abundance of PP time that Chiasson had (tops among rookies), and who knows, maybe he would've at least sniffed a Calder nomination. Or at the very least, improved our special teams stats.

Except he was quite loose with the puck

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Except he was quite loose with the puck

He was but I read that as exhaustion. Ruff definitely worked to find a happy spot for Nuke's minutes. Hopefully with a break and some training, we can get his minutes up next year.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Exhaustion, lack of strength... Whatever you wanna call it he still needs to develop his puck handling skills.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
There were times when his puck handling skills were outstanding. Either he just needs to work on consistency with it or it was due to being tired mentally as much as physically.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
There were times when his puck handling skills were outstanding. Either he just needs to work on consistency with it or it was due to being tired mentally as much as physically.

IIRC he spent a lot of time on the half wall in Ribeiro land, which does not play to his strengths as a hockey player.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I know all facts go against it, but that stupid Russian story about Val hating Dallas has planted that one stray seed in my mind.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I know all facts go against it, but that stupid Russian story about Val hating Dallas has planted that one stray seed in my mind.

No reason to let it. As you said, every fact that we know of has gone against it.

Even the little things, like him sitting for a game or him being put on the 4th line have either been his decision or Ruff's after talking to him.

Extremely excited to see what he brings to the table with a full off season and year under his belt in the big leagues.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
if that story had any legs, it would be all over hfboards... now, i haven't combed over every thread around here, but this is the only place i've seen it discussed. to my understanding, it also hasn't been corroborated by any other reputable journalist.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The Detroit Red Wings had Val ranked 3rd in last year's draft:

Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL

Stars Dir of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell told me he had Val Nichushkin No. 3 on his draft list last yr when still with the Red Wings.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The Detroit Red Wings had Val ranked 3rd in last year's draft:

Hopefully all these guys are/were right. Sounds like the collective brain trust (that we raided) up in Detroit just loved the guy. Nieuwendyk probably wouldn't have raised an eyebrow at all with him on the board still.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Hopefully all these guys are/were right. Sounds like the collective brain trust (that we raided) up in Detroit just loved the guy. Nieuwendyk probably wouldn't have raised an eyebrow at all with him on the board still.

Domi. Those bloodlines.

He's not a bad pick but just like Vancouver is going to regret taking a 3C instead of a 1st line winger, Nieuwendyk would have passed on Nichushkin and the franchise would be the worse for it. Not sad Nieuwy is gone.

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
love nieuwy as a player, and he did a good job setting us up for success as short-term GM.

he always was more of an assist man than a finisher. :)

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Just want to say I was wrong back in October, Nich looked great under Ruff. :) congrats on a good season.

MetalGodAOD*

Ralph Strangis ‏@RalphStrangis 1h

Greatest 5th of July car wash ever! #val43 and he looks ripped. pic.twitter.com/HWk2NsP1Ji

BrzMUo0CMAAbXsc.jpg:large

Val still hanging around Dallas.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Saw the pic earlier, thats pretty awesome. Looks like he is here to stay.

Also got bored and decided to make an NHL 15 cover of Val
XBOX1_zpsa0a6cbe6.jpg

PS4_zps96c9a233.jpg

Came out pretty badass ... although the resolution is pretty low compared to the saved version on my laptop. If anyone knows a good site to upload a picture at its full resolution I would be able to share it with y'all.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014

What makes you think Newy would've passed on him?
Because you didn't like Newy or because you want to give Nill credit for something that really didn't involve him?

Nill had the same Scouts during that Draft that Newy would have. No reason to assume the draft would've played out any differently.

Newy listened to his scouts, Campbell over Fowler for instance. If they'd of told him, he's the BPA by a lot a potential "franchise" guy, there isn't one shred of evidence to suggest Newy would've passed on him.

Just because you don't agree with how the draft boards went with Newy as GM of previous years doesn't mean anything.

Scouts analyze and rank the players and report that to the GM. No GM in there right mind is like "**** you guys, guys we pay a lot of money to tell me who's the best, I'm taking this Canadian or American kid who's less talented because i say so"

People try so hard to discredit what Nieuwendyk did because the Scouts didn't follow the CSS rankings.

MetalGodAOD*

What makes you think Newy would've passed on him?
Because you didn't like Newy or because you want to give Nill credit for something that really didn't involve him?

Nill had the same Scouts during that Draft that Newy would have. No reason to assume the draft would've played out any differently.

Newy listened to his scouts, Campbell over Fowler for instance. If they'd of told him, he's the BPA by a lot a potential "franchise" guy, there isn't one shred of evidence to suggest Newy would've passed on him.

Just because you don't agree with how the draft boards went with Newy as GM of previous years doesn't mean anything.

Scouts analyze and rank the players and report that to the GM. No GM in there right mind is like "**** you guys, guys we pay a lot of money to tell me who's the best, I'm taking this Canadian or American kid who's less talented because i say so"

People try so hard to discredit what Nieuwendyk did because the Scouts didn't follow the CSS rankings.

Joe didn't listen to the scouts when they told him to pick Kulikov, instead going with Glennie. He set a precedent of non-Russian draft picks under his regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad