Player Discussion Valeri Nichushkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
He's had flashes of it (particularly on the goals he's scored), but he hasn't been consistently dominant in the way that Malkin is right now.

The exciting part about how he's played is that by most standards he is NHL-ready at the age of 18, and he's been performing at a very high level even though he's been playing way more hockey than anyone else lately (presumably because they want to make sure he can contribute in a meaningful way).

With a few days to recover before the season starts, everyone is pretty excited about what he can bring. He has the tools to be a legit superstar if his development is handled properly.

Primetimey*

He isn't going to come in as an 18 year old and dominate the NHL in his first season. Nichushkin has played well to this point in the prospect tournament, training camp, and pre-season. He has certainly solidified a spot on the roster but more than likely will be the 3rd line RW.

The biggest thing that has him gaining attention is that you can see the high level of skill he has. His speed and offensive abilities are elite. His compete level is good. His defensive awareness and defensive play needs work.

In two, three, four years? Expect an amazing player. For this upcoming season.. expect 30-40 points.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I think he'll have the ups and downs you expect but say 15-20 goals, 20-25 assists for a point total around 35-40. As an 18 year old that would be fantastic. I foresee a very similar rookie season to what James Neal had here his 1st year.

Phil Connors*

He isn't going to come in as an 18 year old and dominate the NHL in his first season. Nichushkin has played well to this point in the prospect tournament, training camp, and pre-season. He has certainly solidified a spot on the roster but more than likely will be the 3rd line RW.

The biggest thing that has him gaining attention is that you can see the high level of skill he has. His speed and offensive abilities are elite. His compete level is good. His defensive awareness and defensive play needs work.

In two, three, four years? Expect an amazing player. For this upcoming season.. expect 30-40 points.

Pretty much this.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of back checking he does. I think if/when he fills out and puts on another 20 pounds, he'll be pretty much unstoppable.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
He's had flashes of it (particularly on the goals he's scored), but he hasn't been consistently dominant in the way that Malkin is right now.

The exciting part about how he's played is that by most standards he is NHL-ready at the age of 18, and he's been performing at a very high level even though he's been playing way more hockey than anyone else lately (presumably because they want to make sure he can contribute in a meaningful way).

With a few days to recover before the season starts, everyone is pretty excited about what he can bring. He has the tools to be a legit superstar if his development is handled properly.

i remeber what was written about Malkin in russia at begining his carrer
thats all was same - flashes but not stable level - i think its just because he is too young and big -so he need to earn some m endurance and physical conditions to show theese flashes more often

starshockeyfan56

Aug 2, 2005
The Xcalibur
i remeber what was written about Malkin in russia at begining his carrer
thats all was same - flashes but not stable level - i think its just because he is too young and big -so he need to earn some m endurance and physical conditions to show theese flashes more often

I think most of us feel that too, and that's why we are excited about him!

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
If he can get a bit stronger and play against the boards a little better, this kid could seriously become a top-15 player in the NHL, if he's not already on his way.

He's been scary good from what I've seen.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
When Nich is in his prime, I think he's at worst a Jeff Carter, an insane goal scorer but not much else. At best, he's a top 10 player in the league with Malkin-like offensive ability. I'm excited, to say the least.

Predictions for '13-'14:

22G
15A

Pseudonymous*

What do you guys think the chances are he's sent down if he's not quite there. Do you think theyre going to send him down if hes not quite there or let him play through it

Have him in my keeper league and dont want to have my team a man short if they send him down (back to KHL?) for not being quite ready

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
What do you guys think the chances are he's sent down if he's not quite there. Do you think theyre going to send him down if hes not quite there or let him play through it

Have him in my keeper league and dont want to have my team a man short if they send him down (back to KHL?) for not being quite ready

The issue is that in Nichushkin's release from his KHL contract, it says he has to play in the NHL or return to Russia. He can't play in the AHL.

Either way, I think he's ready, and he'll be sheltered a bit, so I'm very confident that he'll stay in Dallas all season.

The last thing we want him to do is struggle and Dallas, get sent back to Russia, tear it up there and never want to come back.

bluedevil58*

I made this same post a few days again and it was moved to the fantasy thread. Why not this one too?

MetalGodAOD*

I made this same post a few days again and it was moved to the fantasy thread. Why not this one too?

As was explained in that thread, your question was a bit vague and misconstrued as a Fantasy-related question.

Also since then we've had about 2 other threads pop up about Nich, so it makes sense to create an all encompassing Player Discussion thread. Don't take it personally.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

Probably because the Mods got tired of moving Nichushkin threads into that one every other day after someone comes in asking the exact same thing.

Edit: Beat to the punch :laugh:

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
If he can get a bit stronger and play against the boards a little better, this kid could seriously become a top-15 player in the NHL, if he's not already on his way.

He's been scary good from what I've seen.

prove me if i wrong but he was very good at the boards and puck control every game what i seen

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013

Sounds great to me. I haven't been able to watch any pre season games since I am out of the state but I'm looking forward to watching him play. I've only seen highlights.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
prove me if i wrong but he was very good at the boards and puck control every game what i seen

I only saw one pre-season game but what I took away from that was that he didn't lack in strength. Thus far, his biggest flaw is trying to be a one-man show. He needs to learn to use his teammates better, once he does that he will find that he's more able to play to his strengths because other teams won't know exactly what he's going to do.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I only saw one pre-season game but what I took away from that was that he didn't lack in strength. Thus far, his biggest flaw is trying to be a one-man show. He needs to learn to use his teammates better, once he does that he will find that he's more able to play to his strengths because other teams won't know exactly what he's going to do.

i agreed. At this moment he attracts to him opponents players when he holds puck using his size at posession attacks( similar style like Jagr and Kopitar does at posession attacks) ). He need some experience with stable linemates. Right now he want to show himself at his best , but he will become different players at regulars and PO (-why not))). He earned many important points at KHL PO with Passing

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This guy is highly skilled and shoots like crazy. Took him in my fantasy draft for those two reasons. Honestly see 25-30 goals.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
These 30 goal predictions for Nuke needs to stop. He probably won't play top six minutes and only being 18 he won't be played at many key situations. He is going to make some highlight reel plays but he will probably go stretches during the season struggling trying to figure it out. Next season maybe, but not as an 18 year old.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
The issue is that in Nichushkin's release from his KHL contract, it says he has to play in the NHL or return to Russia. He can't play in the AHL.

Either way, I think he's ready, and he'll be sheltered a bit, so I'm very confident that he'll stay in Dallas all season.

The last thing we want him to do is struggle and Dallas, get sent back to Russia, tear it up there and never want to come back.
This is not a condition written into his contract. It's purely a handshake agreement. It's up to Nichushkin as to whether he breaks that or not, there are no repercussions as I understand it. I think a short stint in the AHL would be agreeable if that situation came up. I think any drop in play will likely come from fatigue and rather than send him down, they may rest him from a couple of games here and there as a healthy scratch or drop him to the 4th line and reduce his minutes.

As for Nichushkin becoming a Malkin type offensive player, he'd have to significantly change his style. I'm not saying he can't or won't, but as he is, he's on track to become something similar to Rick Nash offensively. Nash is an incredible talent who IMO has not lived up to his potential. Based on his skillset he should be a PPG player every year. His style has somewhat limited his offensive output though IMO.

We will see if Nichushkin can adapt his style over the next few years to become a bit more multi-dimensional. That will determine if he's a consistent 60-70 point player or an 80-90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad