Raptors Discussion: V67 | DeRozan puts the ball through the hoop with regularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
NBA Draft Projections from ESPN

FWIW Poeltl was ranked 3rd overall by ESPN through FiveThirtyEight's projection algorithms (another write up here). Highlights:

-Lowest bust projection out of the top 40 prospects (16%)
-Highest chance of being a starter out of the top 40 (32%)
-41% chance to be a bench player
-7th best chance to be an all-star (12%, ahead of Sabonis, Brown, Davis)
-Higher SPM (statistical plus minus) than everyone from the 2015 class not named Karl-Anthony Towns.
-Draft grade of 88.2 (tied with Ben Simmons and Marquese Chriss)

As a playoff team drafting at 9, I would be absolutely ecstatic with a solid NBA starter. The NBA draft is the hardest draft to predict in all of sports IMO.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
No complaints. It sounds like we may have filled a void with Biyombo on the way out. Ujiri must have other plans in mind as far as acquiring a starting 4. Let's see how the off season plays out before passing judgment.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
I don't know why people are complaining about drafting a low post player. Did people not see how dominant the Raptors overall offense became in those rare instances when Vals low post presence was the focal point of the offense?

Teams aren't built to handle that triangle style offense anymore, ie. The ball running through efficient interior scorers who are capable of kicking it out to the wings.

You can't be reactive to trends and expect to succeed. There's only 1 steph curry and Golden State warriors. Maybe this pick indicates that Casey will actually consider coaching a proper offense next year?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If they have more potential, it would have been nice if they showed it. Siakam has been playing basketball for like 3 years now and he shattered his conference this past season. It might be one of the lowest rated conferences in kenpom and he might be one of the older guys in the draft, but his increased ability in such a short span exhibits upside and projectable skill. I believe he was also one of the better interviews (which matters), and he's probably more willing to accept a developmental process in Europe or in the D-League.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It is kind of criminal that Chad Ford is even allowed to rank teams' drafting after being so blatantly and consistently wrong about everything. But he gives the Raptors a B- (I guess because they did not take at 9th a guy at who would up going lower than their second pick).

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Dont get why so many people think this is a guards game. You have to be able to defend the paint/rim. Teams aren't gonna be hitting every shot every game.

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
Dont get why so many people think this is a guards game. You have to be able to defend the paint/rim. Teams aren't gonna be hitting every shot every game.

Agreed, its a game of continuous overreaction. "Lebron's legacy will never match MJ." "Lebron can't win without his buddies." *Wins a championship in Cleveland* "Lebron is among the greatest of all time." Warriors have not changed the game. They are the result of 4 unique talents coming together at a particular historical moment.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Agreed, its a game of continuous overreaction. "Lebron's legacy will never match MJ." "Lebron can't win without his buddies." *Wins a championship in Cleveland* "Lebron is among the greatest of all time." Warriors have not changed the game. They are the result of 4 unique talents coming together at a particular historical moment.

This is true, But Cleveland was a pretty stacked team in all honesty, Irving was just as big as LeBron in the warriors series. Love put the nail in Toronto's coffin, LeBron did what he always does but it does poss me off that guys like Irving, love and the rest don't get respect. It's LeBron this LeBron that, was the same in Miami,.

As for love he's having happen to him what happened to Nosh, great player who gets forgotten in the offense.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Love also had really bad games in the Raps series and was completely invisible in the Warriors series.

LeBron was easily the most consistent and most dominant. He even commented on the success of his teammates in his parade speech, but in all honesty it should be LeBron this, LeBron that. He was in full carry mode.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Love also had really bad games in the Raps series and was completely invisible in the Warriors series.

LeBron was easily the most consistent and most dominant. He even commented on the success of his teammates in his parade speech, but in all honesty it should be LeBron this, LeBron that. He was in full carry mode.

Irving deserves just as much credit. I realise that Love has had bad games, I said he sealed Toronto's fate.

In the Hawks series Jr Smith, and Irving were beasting it also. Kevin Love doesn't fit in that system he's stagnating much the same way Bosh was when James was with Miami.

I am not trying to take anything away from Lebron, he had a great playoffs and was hands down MVP but there were a lot of people who contributed to the championship run the cavs went on. Irving and his dead eye shooting. Clutch 3 in game 7. Matching 41 in game 5.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Everyone knows it doesn't take just one player to win. I don't know why you'd get mad at the fact that LeBron gets the most recognition (you yourself are just mentioning the other three most widely known Cavs players in Irving/Love/Smith). He's the face of the organization and the face of the league and was the primary caretaker of them while they came back from down 3-1 against the 73-9 Warriors. Kyrie was recognized for his 41 in game 5, and he was appreciated for his full Kobe antic in game 7. That 3rd quarter performance by him was absolutely amazing too. But still, it's LeBron's team and they would not have been there, much less have won it if it wasn't for him.

Last edited:

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Can't believe KD is seriously considering Golden State. That would be worse than LBJ going to Miami.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Everyone knows it doesn't take just one player to win. I don't know why you'd get mad at the fact that LeBron gets the most recognition (you yourself are just mentioning the other three most widely known Cavs players in Irving/Love/Smith). He's the face of the organization and the face of the league and was the primary caretaker of them while they came back from down 3-1 against the 73-9 Warriors. Kyrie was recognized for his 41 in game 5, and he was appreciated for his full Kobe antic in game 7. That 3rd quarter performance by him was absolutely amazing too. But still, it's LeBron's team and they would not have been there, much less have won it if it wasn't for him.

I just find it disrespectful is all, Sure he's a monster of a player but if you want to look at why the Cavs did what they did you have to mention Irving in the same sentence over the whole of the playoffs. Smith for the Atlanta series. Love for killing the raptors in game 5.

I get it, it is what it is. It's what basketball is all about the marquee guys get all the love what ever. I still think it's pathetic how the media is all of a sudden sucking his ass again because he's helped lead the Cavs to a championship.

On a side note, Masi better have something special lined up through trade of free agency because the Pacers have done a hell of a job rounding out their team for next season.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
Salary Cap is 94M or so. We are at 69M. Trade Ross, Nog & a first for Lauvergne/Noel. Saves 7-9M. Thus putting Raps at. 60-61M +DeRozan max(24) = 84-85.
If Biyombo takes 10-11M, we can bring both back

bentharbour

Feb 27, 2008
Salary Cap is 94M or so. We are at 69M. Trade Ross, Nog & a first for Lauvergne/Noel. Saves 7-9M. Thus putting Raps at. 60-61M +DeRozan max(24) = 84-85.
If Biyombo takes 10-11M, we can bring both back

In light of the rumors surrounding Noel at the draft, they would laugh at that Ross offer. But, I think Ross, Nog and a 1st should be able to land some sort of upgrade at the 4.

Personally, I am not interested in bringing Biyombo back for that price. Mostly because I don't believe in paying someone for relatively short period of great play in a contract year.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
Can't believe KD is seriously considering Golden State. That would be worse than LBJ going to Miami.

The only way it'd be worse is if he hosted a 2 hour special to announce his decision to take his talents to the bay area.

This is true, But Cleveland was a pretty stacked team in all honesty, Irving was just as big as LeBron in the warriors series. Love put the nail in Toronto's coffin, LeBron did what he always does but it does poss me off that guys like Irving, love and the rest don't get respect. It's LeBron this LeBron that, was the same in Miami,.

My impression was that most people questioned his abilities because he went to Miami. He needed to surround himself with other superstars to win, needed Ray Allen to drain the 3, etc. Miami was the vehicle detractors used to take him out of the GOAT discussion with Jordan.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
In light of the rumors surrounding Noel at the draft, they would laugh at that Ross offer. But, I think Ross, Nog and a 1st should be able to land some sort of upgrade at the 4.

Personally, I am not interested in bringing Biyombo back for that price. Mostly because I don't believe in paying someone for relatively short period of great play in a contract year.

I hope Derozan puts the team first and doesn't sign a max contract to give us a little extra cap space. I guess it doesn't matter though since the cap space is going up by another 20 mil after next season. I doubt Biyombo is brought back after we drafted Siakam because they look like the same kind of player except Siakam has a jump shot.

I wish we could get portis from the Bulls. Wanted us to draft him last year.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Biyombo wants to Stay

http://hoopshype.com/storyline/bism...xfs&st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/yStd1Bcr90

3 hours ago – via USA Today Sports
The good news, for DeRozan and the Raptors, is that Biyombo wants to come back. According to a person with knowledge of his situation, he will be patient as Toronto works things out with DeRozan as its top priority. Biyombo will have no shortage of suitors should the Raptors blink long enough to lose DeRozan, but there will be no immediate rush to seize the speediest deal.

Free Agency, Bismack Biyombo, DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors
More Rumors in this Storyline
3 hours ago – via USA Today Sports
Should DeRozan be willing to shave some off the top of his salary as a way to help Biyombo stay on board, as it seems he possibly will, then there is a very real interest on Biyombo’s part of making it all work. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the situation.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It's all dependent on DeRozan Shaving money off his Deal but it seems that they may both be on board with that.

I wonder if Poeltl can play PF, he is listed as a C/PF

Jakob Pöltl
Basketball Player
Jakob Pöltl is an Austrian basketball player for the Toronto Raptors of the NBA. The 7-foot-1-inch center played college basketball for the Utah Utes. Wikipedia
Born: October 15, 1995 (age 20), Vienna, Austria
Height: 2.13 m
Nationality: Austrian
Weight: 112 kg
College: Utah Utes men's basketball (2014–2016)
Position: Center, Power forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad