Raptors Discussion: V67 | DeRozan puts the ball through the hoop with regularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah but they passed on Skal, who has much much higher upside. I kinda mad that Masai is content with just making the playoffs. Skal is a boom or bust pick, but if he booms, the team has a chance to make the Finals. The player that were taken today doesn't get us past the Cavs and now Boston, NY might overtake us too.....maybe we should just rebuild.

Unless KD magically falls into NY's lap I highly doubt that roster is capable of competing.

Also why is everybody really so high on Skal? He was overmatched in his freshman year and never should have entered this draft tbh. Only thing Skal really stands out in is his range but his defensive IQ and lack of strength is what steers him to the Frye comparison, which isn't really much of a boom.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Quite impressed with Poeltl's 2015/2016 resume:

FG%: 64.6 (1st in Pac-12)
TS%: 66.6 (1st in Pac-12)
eFG%: 64.6 (1st in Pac-12)
PER: 31.1 (1st in Pac-12)
Off-Reb%: 16.0 (1st in Pac-12)
OffRtg: 128.8 (1st in Pac-12)
Offensive WS: 4.9 (1st in Pac-12)
Defensive WS: 1.9 (5th in Pac-12)
WS: 6.8 (1st in Pac-12)
DefRtg: 88.0 (5th in Pac-12)

PPG: 17.2 (2nd in Pac-12)
Reb: 9.1 (4th in Pac-12)

Of course, Pac-12 player of the year.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Globe and Mail, Toronto Raptors head coach Dwane Casey said he could see Jakob Poeltl being used at power forward and already has a body that is “NBA ready.”

Casey said Poeltl’s quickness is better than that of Jonas Valanciunas when the Lithuanian first came into the league. Since smaller lineups are becoming increasingly more popular in the NBA, the Raptors value big players who can get out to the perimeter and guard smaller players – as Bismack Biyombo did this season.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...an-jakob-poeltl-in-nba-draft/article30602194/

The Raptors held a workout with Poeltl in Buffalo on June 17. “His speed and agility around the cones were really impressive,” Raptors head coach Dwane Casey said. “He’s an excellent insurance at the centre and power-forward positions.”

Casey said he could see Poeltl being used at power forward and already has a body that is “NBA ready.”

“You know he’s going to put his body on people – he’s an excellent screener,” Casey said. “He played in an NBA-style offence at Utah, which is very impressive.”

Casey said Poeltl’s quickness is better than that of Jonas Valanciunas when the Lithuanian first came into the league. Since smaller lineups are becoming increasingly more popular in the NBA, the Raptors value big players who can get out to the perimeter and guard smaller players – as Bismack Biyombo did this season.

The Raptors scouts watched Poeltl a lot during the college season. Casey said the team reached a consensus that the Austrian was the player they were targeting.

“He rim runs every time down the floor,” Casey said. “Not every other time. He’s a good, persistent runner, and that’s what you want from your bigs. He’s a good passer out of the post in high-low situations, and that will translate in him being able to play on the floor with JV some if we see that this summer.”

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Quite impressed with Poeltl's 2015/2016 resume:

FG%: 64.6 (1st in Pac-12)
TS%: 66.6 (1st in Pac-12)
eFG%: 64.6 (1st in Pac-12)
PER: 31.1 (1st in Pac-12)
Off-Reb%: 16.0 (1st in Pac-12)
OffRtg: 128.8 (1st in Pac-12)
Offensive WS: 4.9 (1st in Pac-12)
Defensive WS: 1.9 (5th in Pac-12)
WS: 6.8 (1st in Pac-12)
DefRtg: 88.0 (5th in Pac-12)

PPG: 17.2 (2nd in Pac-12)
Reb: 9.1 (4th in Pac-12)

Of course, Pac-12 player of the year.

Played with Delon as well on one of the best defensive teams in the nation last year.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Honestly..what an underwhelming draft.
I'm sick and tired of the Raps picking these no-name high bust potential drafts, it seems like a waste

It's like they are hoping they will get lucky and hit the jackpot with one of them. I doubt that will happen

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'm sick and tired of the Raps picking these no-name high bust potential drafts, it seems like a waste

It's like they are hoping they will get lucky and hit the jackpot with one of them. I doubt that will happen

Poetl's considered the safest pick that was available...?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Poeltl and Siakam were top 5 in PER among the drafted players.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Poeltl is not a no-name at all.

On top of it, any mock draft with merit had Poeltl going at 9 to the Raptors. I expected him or them trading the 9th away. I really don't see how you could be disappointed with getting Poeltl, besides maybe having trouble pronouncing his name.

Personally I wonder what this means for Bebe, if anything.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
On top of it, any mock draft with merit had Poeltl going at 9 to the Raptors. I expected him or them trading the 9th away. I really don't see how you could be disappointed with getting Poeltl, besides maybe having trouble pronouncing his name.

Personally I wonder what this means for Bebe, if anything.

I doubt it means anything. Both he and Poeltl can probably play some 4 along with the 5.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I have seen lists by scouts that had Poeltl in the top 5. He is a solid pick. And even though the game is changing let's please not act like every team will be like the Warriors from now on.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I was hoping the Raps would take McCaw with their second pick. But oh well.

The Warriors had a quietly strong draft.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I disagree. This is clearly a guards league nowadays and we go and draft a back to the basket center. Not happy with it

nah man, you def know more than the people who do it for a living.

it's mind boggling how people can judge a draft on draft night.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
There will always be a place on good teams for a fundamentally sound big man. He says he likes to work hard, has the lowest bust percentage in 5 years of drafts according to ESPN, I'll take that over the ''this guy is a great athlete but hasn't played much basketball, or has a low IQ, or is just flashy'' guy any day.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Don't know anything about this guy but dissapointed we didn't take skal as I had him much higher. Guess they really can't shoot or have other flaws that a armchair college basketball watcher doesn't see

Not quite sure why ppl are upset we didn't take Skal with the 27th. He's a extremely high risk player who didn't get much time this past season, because of his play or lack of should I say.

I am upset we didn't utilize the 27 pick better, trade back into the second round to get this guy while maybe adding another 2nd in next seasons draft to use as a trade chip.

Siakam did lead all player in college ball in double doubles take that for what it's worth. he also has 2.2 blocks per and as for not being athletic and having a low BB IQ well I didn't really read that anywhere, his story is pretty cool and from what coaches say about him he's got non stop compete, he's got great speed for a big man, and quick hops.

Much like Biz even prior to last season he gets a bit out of control on both sides of the floor. But they did say he has improved this by leaps and bounds from last year, and I am sure more coaching and 1 on 1 coaching will sort that out.
But he was definitely a reach at 27,

I guess it's fair to say I am not thrilled with the draft, not at all, but I am also not totally upset, Toronto didn't draft any of the people I thought they should have drafted or make any moves to improve the team.

To see what Brooklyn traded Young away for was hard to swallow. Finding out that he was trying to get Ibaka did make me scratch my head a bit considering that his numbers across the board wend down this past sason, his back issues and only one season left on his contract.

I am not sure what Masi has up his sleeve but it better be good because even if Demar comes back getting through Indiana is not going to happen let alone getting through Cleveland with this roster or anything we can afford on the market.

Maybe Poeltl can step in and give some meaningful minutes who knows?
but i'm not going to sit and slag the kid because I don't see him as a good fit in Toronto.

Pascal Siakam will most likely be with the 905 next season that would be my guess. So now it's back to finding a PF through either free agency or trade and if you trade Poeltl you open another hole you potentially just filled.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I saw a basketball IQ concern for Siakam in ESPN's profile. Specifically under weaknesses the word they used was "emerging" to describe his BBall IQ. I thought it was funny because it was just about the most euphimistic way possible to say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad