Raptors Discussion: V65 Round 3! No sweep for Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I hope we really slam Lebron down on a hard foul again. Last time he kinda dove. This time Biz needs to really lay into him. :) i know Lebron is very big

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I'm a fan of Biz but people seem to forget JV was our best player through the first 10 games of the post season. Letting JV go to sign an excellent backup for arguably more money than JV currently makes is a terrible decision and sets this team back. He's an energizing backup big who's a fan favourite but he's not a starter on a championship contender, Cleveland being the exception to the rule due to their ability to surround him with shooting at every position and LeBron being a freak of nature.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I've never been a fan of basketball but I"m starting to get interested (in my old age - joking). Anyways, I don't really know what's going on in terms of strategy or things like that - I just see one team shoots better than the other mostly. Without peeving too many people off, which stat or is there an advanced stat in basketball that I could think about that would be (kind of) equivalent to a possession stat like in hockey.

If not, what things should I look for. YES, I enjoy just watching the game for what it is - but, again, I mostly just noticed that in the first 2 games Cleveland were simply better shooters and the Raptors shooting wasn't good. In the last game, even though Lowry (??) took a lot of long shots and missed which led to a lot of possession for Cleveland, all in all, they just overall shot better - that's about what I saw from my limited or nearly zero knowledge of the game. Oh, I did notice a lot of rebounds and stuff by the big guy Bismack, but, other than that, I just seem to see shooting mainly - good or bad shooting!!!. I don't have any trouble with not focusing solely on the player with the ball (i think some hockey fans just watch the player with the puck - I don't have a problem seeing other things and positions on the ice). In fact, it's seem even easier to see what everyone else is doing away from the ball, but, I can't make much sense of it.

Any simple tips on how to watch - from a bit more analytic perspective - keeping it simple. KISS!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
raps-2016playoffs-preview-web_2.jpg

Game 4 Preview: Raptors vs. Cavaliers
Posted: May 22, 2016

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com

Series: Cavs lead 2-1

The Raptors collected the first conference finals win in franchise history in Game 3, picking up a 99-84 victory behind monster games from DeMar DeRozan and Bismack Biyombo. DeRozan scored a game-high 32 points, while Biyombo set a franchise-record for rebounds in a postseason game with 26, as Toronto held the Cavaliers under 100 points for the first time this postseason.

Broadcast Info: TSN, ESPN, SN590

Ford Fanzone open: 6:30 P.M. ET

Pregame Show: 7:00 P.M. ET on NBATV Canada

projectedlineups-052116.jpg

LESSONS LEARNED

Full 48 Minutes

After showing stretches of keeping up with the Cavaliers in Games 1 and 2, the Raptors went into Game 3 talking about the importance of playing for a full 48 minutes. Closing quarters strong and not having mental lapses were near the top of the to-do list for Saturday. Toronto started strong in Game 3, and didn’t let up. Setting the tone early, there were moments where Cleveland fought back, getting within five points in the second half, but Toronto managed to stave off every Cavaliers run.

“We learned from the last two games,” DeMar DeRozan said. “That's when the lapses of the games started with us, and they took advantage of it in the first two games. We tried to withhold that [in Game 3] and tried to finish off the quarters strong. That's what we did. We had a rhythm, and we came out with the win.”

Now that they’ve snapped Cleveland’s 17-game postseason winning streak against Eastern Conference opponents, the Raptors know the Cavaliers will come out looking to control the tempo in Game 4. Continuing to dictate the tempo will be key for Toronto.
GAME 4 TALKING POINTS

Valanciunas Upgraded To Doubtful

On Sunday afternoon, the team officially listed Jonas Valanciunas as “doubtful” for Game 4. Not the status fans were hoping for, but a step up from being ruled out as he had been the previous game. As Valanciunas continues to work his way back from spraining his right ankle on May 7, the team has been adamant that it will prioritize his health before all else and will not allow him to return to the floor before he is ready.

Prior to Game 3, Valanciunas was able to get in some light shooting with assistant coaches. He calmly made 10 of 11 corner 3-pointers and shared a smile with surprised on-lookers, but by game-time he was on the bench in a blue suit cheering his teammates on.

Valanciunas got in some time on the court during Toronto’s practice on Sunday, but Casey downplayed the activity.
“He was on the court today, and we’ll see where he is tomorrow,” Casey said.

Resiliency Rewarded

When Toronto dropped the first two games of the series in Cleveland, there were plenty of opinions about the team and the series. Despite many Raptors players staying away from social media and media reports during the postseason, at this time of the year it’s impossible to truly block out those outside opinions, because they’re everywhere. Whether reading media reports or not, the team knew they’d been written off by most after Game 1.

“When you see things and headlines and things being said…You really sit there and wonder, ‘Where do you all get this from? Where do these people get these suggestions, allegations from?’” DeRozan said. “It's crazy just to see it sometimes because people don't understand how sick or upset we are after a loss, especially after how we lost the first two games. We felt embarrassed. We knew that wasn't us. To see things like that is definitely frustrating, and the only way to shut it up is to go out there and play.”

Throughout the postseason Casey has patiently reminded everyone that one win or two wins doesn’t take a series and now that his team is on the board in the wins column, his disposition remains the same. After two games of trying to get acclimated to the conference finals, Casey feels as though his team has gotten back to playing their own game.

“I don't think we tried to prove anything [in Game 3],” he said. “I think we just took our compete level to what we did for 82 games. I don't think the first two games -- it wasn't us. I know Cleveland played great basketball. They played at a high level. I'm not saying we didn't come out and play hard. I don't think our intensity, our playing with force, the level that you've got to play with in the Conference Finals, was there. And again, that's a growing experience for us. It's the first time we've been there. They had been there before, and they knew the level of play that you had to play at. They knew when to put their foot down. They took advantage of those windows to get the score up, and we didn't understand the moment.”

Playing in front of a raucous home crowd always helps a team feel at home, but part of adjusting is experiencing, and like Casey said, this is all new for the Raptors. As the playoffs move along, the intensity continues to rise.

“I thought [in Game 3] we did a better job of not having those lapses or having long lapses,” Casey said. “Teams are going to make runs in this league, but I thought our attention to detail and our focus, the guys that were in there, the combinations we had in there, did a better job of cutting the length of those lapses down.”

Cleveland Cavaliers at Toronto Raptors: Monday’s Game 4 preview

Patrick Patterson vs. Kevin Love key matchup when NBA Eastern final resumes Monday night at the Air Canada Centre.

By Doug SmithSports Reporter
Sun., May 22, 2016

AIR CANADA CENTRE

TIPOFF: 8:30 p.m.

TV: TSN

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

PROBABLE STARTERS

Cleveland: Kyrie Irving, J.R. Smith, LeBron James, Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson

Toronto: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, DeMarre Carroll, Luis Scola, Bismack Biyombo

KEY MATCHUP

Patrick Patterson vs. Kevin Love

Luis Scola starts and eats a few minutes to open the first and third quarters for the Raptors, but Patrick Patterson is the primary power forward. He did an exceptional job of not giving Kevin Love much space in Game 3, so good that the Cavaliers starter watched the fourth quarter from the bench. Toronto needs to take Love out of the game again.

NEED TO KNOW

Toronto is 9-1 in the playoffs when holding opponents less than 100 points ... According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Bismack Biyombo is the first player under 24 years old to collect 26 rebounds in a playoff game since the late, great Moses Malone did it in 1977. … Raptors centre Jonas Valanciunas remains listed as out ... Cleveland hasn’t lost two straight playoff games to an Eastern opponent since 2010 (Boston) ... The Cavs are averaging 11.3 turnovers a game, best among the four remaining teams.

UP NEXT

Game 5: Wednesday at Cleveland, 8:30 p.m.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I've never been a fan of basketball but I"m starting to get interested (in my old age - joking). Anyways, I don't really know what's going on in terms of strategy or things like that - I just see one team shoots better than the other mostly. Without peeving too many people off, which stat or is there an advanced stat in basketball that I could think about that would be (kind of) equivalent to a possession stat like in hockey.

If not, what things should I look for. YES, I enjoy just watching the game for what it is - but, again, I mostly just noticed that in the first 2 games Cleveland were simply better shooters and the Raptors shooting wasn't good. In the last game, even though Lowry (??) took a lot of long shots and missed which led to a lot of possession for Cleveland, all in all, they just overall shot better - that's about what I saw from my limited or nearly zero knowledge of the game. Oh, I did notice a lot of rebounds and stuff by the big guy Bismack, but, other than that, I just seem to see shooting mainly - good or bad shooting!!!. I don't have any trouble with not focusing solely on the player with the ball (i think some hockey fans just watch the player with the puck - I don't have a problem seeing other things and positions on the ice). In fact, it's seem even easier to see what everyone else is doing away from the ball, but, I can't make much sense of it.

Any simple tips on how to watch - from a bit more analytic perspective - keeping it simple. KISS!

For shooting, there is True Shooting percentage, which accounts or the fact that 3 pointers account for a higher weighted shot. TS% for short.

There is also a Stat which attempts to quantify how valuable a player is, don't ask me how they calculate it. Player Efficiency Rating. It takes into account all the counted stats, and comes up with a number that means the higher it is, the more effective a player is. It's a little better for the scoring guards however, but for example it also rates high efficient shooters and rebounders like JV well. PER for short.

Besides those, go into basketball reference and look up the advanced column.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/v/valanjo01.html?mobile=false

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Jonas Valanciunas (ankle) has been upgraded to a game-time decision for Game 4.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
still boggles my mind people wanna rebuild. Were top 2 in the East battling the bonafide number one, and have a lottery pick coming in next year which is a top 10 pick which, with an elite gm that we have, should be used properly. I don't see any reason to rebuild lose/keep derozan.

thats my rant. go raps

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Taking one game from the cavs is impressive. Taking two would be monumental while putting some serious doubt throughout the entire cavs lineup.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wow JV!!! Hopy crap. I can only hope/assume that they're not risking his health so he'll actually contribute yet. Maybe this thing ain't over yet after all.

Starting to get excited. Very excited!

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
yea i agree should come in off the bench would be a tall task to start a game mid series when not 100% against this Cavs team and Biz i doing a fine job but JV coming in should help relieve the pressure on him.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Can't see JV getting more than 12-15 minutes, but if it just means there's no time without Biz/JV on the floor sure

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I expect Biz to start and JV to come off the bench to go be Biz some breaks. You can't just throw JV back in the starting lineup especially with the way BIZ has been playing.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I expect Biz to start and JV to come off the bench to go be Biz some breaks. You can't just throw JV back in the starting lineup especially with the way BIZ has been playing.

I'm okay with that. Gives us another option off the bench and a more skilled screener to play off CJ

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Jonas Valanciunas (ankle) will warm up for Game 4 on Monday and see how he feels after that

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Dahntay got a game for punching Biz in the nuts, and Draymond got nothing for an even more egregious kick to Steven Adams' nuts.

Ahhh, the NBA. Ridiculous double standards for stars. Both should be suspended.

Either way, great to see JV back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad