Raptors Discussion: V65 Round 3! No sweep for Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'd be wary. He really is best suited to being a backup C, but some team is going to give him crazy stupid starter money.
Some people forget just how young he is. He's younger than Valanciunas, just for comparison.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Through three games the Raptors have been called for 27 more fouls than Cleveland (73-46) and shot 35 fewer free throws (86-51).

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Way to go Raps!

handed the Cavs their first loss of the playoffs and avoided the sweep :handclap:

Hoping they can take the next one as well and push this series to at least 6 :popcorn:

Also hope Biyombo is ok. Go Raptors :yo:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Some team is going to give him crazy stupid starting C money because they overestimate his ability to start and play heavy minutes over the course of a whole season. I like him a lot, but he should not be a starter for any reason other than injury/emergency. He just doesn't have the hands.

Huh? its not like he hasn't started a good chunk of games this year already when val was out and put up solid stat lines. TBH personally i would look at possibly moving val in the summer and keeping Biz, it's not like with our back court val gets the kind of touches he deserves any how. Biz does everything you want your big to do, clog the lane, Grab everything play good D, and protect the rim. What more do you want? And he's 23 years old.

Move the 9 pick and Ross to land a legit starting pf and bring in a decent backup C and a 3 and D type off the bench to replace ross and your set.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Huh? its not like he hasn't started a good chunk of games this year already when val was out and put up solid stat lines. TBH personally i would look at possibly moving val in the summer and keeping Biz, it's not like with our back court val gets the kind of touches he deserves any how. Biz does everything you want your big to do, clog the lane, Grab everything play good D, and protect the rim. What more do you want? And he's 23 years old.

Move the 9 pick and Ross to land a legit starting pf and bring in a decent backup C and a 3 and D type off the bench to replace ross and your set.

Moving Val and keeping biz? Wtf lol?

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
I had the series as a sweep so the Raps pulling one out is a nice surprise. If we can get JV back I think the Raps can win another 1 or even 2 games.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Agreed.

But I'd try hard to keep Biz as an option for 4 and 5. Especially with Val being so injury prone.

I take Biz over JV moving forward. He is miles better defensively, brings intensity and swagger. Given minutes, he would likely be top 5-10 in rebounds. JV is obviously better offensively, but he is slow, mediocre defensively and seems to only puts up big point and rebound totals when he has a clear matchup advantage. He is also clearly injury prone. Trading him for a PF is definitely something Masai should consider.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So proud of this team tonight. Whatever happens, we finally wiped that smug look off those ******** faces.

Yes!

I had the series as a sweep so the Raps pulling one out is a nice surprise. If we can get JV back I think the Raps can win another 1 or even 2 games.

I don't think JV will be back and if we can win another without him, I'll be very impressed. Would so love to win one more, a game six in Toronto would be just amazing.

At least this should end the talk of tanking for a bit. :laugh:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I take Biz over JV moving forward. He is miles better defensively, brings intensity and swagger. Given minutes, he would likely be top 5-10 in rebounds. JV is obviously better offensively, but he is slow, mediocre defensively and seems to only puts up big point and rebound totals when he has a clear matchup advantage. He is also clearly injury prone. Trading him for a PF is definitely something Masai should consider.

All biyimbo has on JV is defence and JVs really isn't that bad.

Jvs issue is that coach has had him on a very short leash to start his career. One mistake and he seems to end up on the bench. Has never really had a chance to play through his mistakes IMO.

I can't believe people are actually advocating keeping biyimbo over JV.

This place is ****ing crazy

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I was only able to watch the 4th last night. Crazy how one player got 26 boards. Biz has really brought it in jv's absence. Great response after the first two games. I'm happy that there won't be no sweep. Maybe this series will be longer than anyone wanted to credit Toronto with.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We will have enough cap space to retain Biz and make other moves. If he commands 10 million then so be it. He is young, and provides a defensive dynamic that we haven't had since Charles Oakley. Keeping him and JV would gives us a tremendous 1-2 punch at centre for years to come.

Without Biz, we would not have made it this far in playoffs.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

Biz really isn't that much better at JV defensively. JV is an excellent rebounder and rim defender as well. He also has hands and can score in the post. The emotions of the playoffs are getting to you. JV is a significantly better player

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
JV is much better offensively, but defensively, I would give the edge to Biz.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other. They bring different skill sets to the table. Keep them both!

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
JV is much better offensively, but defensively, I would give the edge to Biz.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other. They bring different skill sets to the table. Keep them both!
Well, ideally we would love to keep both! With the cap going up though and lots of teams needing a quality big man, he very well could get a big time contract on the FA market with a chance to play starter minutes

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Well, ideally we would love to keep both! With the cap going up though and lots of teams needing a quality big man, he very well could get a big time contract on the FA market with a chance to play starter minutes

If he likes it here, maybe he would be willing to accept a role as the 1b centre, playing 20-25 minutes a night and often in crunch time. I don't expect him to take a discount, but in the new economic landscape of the NBA, he will be worth what he commands on the market. I would rather pay him that kind of money than Terrence Ross.

Shwaguy*

JV has taken big steps defensively and is just as good a rebounder as Bismack (Actually he's a better rebounder given that he grabs more contested boards) statistically.

Bismack can't handle bigger Cs

He was invisible before Whiteside got injured. JV was dominating Whiteside.

So HELL no to trading JV. That's fuggin ridiculous

Fisticuffs

Oct 25, 2013
Brampton
If he likes it here, maybe he would be willing to accept a role as the 1b centre, playing 20-25 minutes a night and often in crunch time. I don't expect him to take a discount, but in the new economic landscape of the NBA, he will be worth what he commands on the market. I would rather pay him that kind of money than Terrence Ross.

Yeah unfortunately I don't see him coming back because this is his chance to earn a big contract (young age, playing starter minutes in the playoffs). I mean just look what TT earned in Cleveland (I'm not saying that he's going to get that kinda contract). Ultimately he signed a really cheap contract and he earned the right to get paid. Whether it comes with the Raptors remains to be seen (hard to imagine that much money tied to 2 Cs. I'm just enjoying the ride and we'll see what happens when the playoffs are over (akin to David Price on the Blue Jays)

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
No reason to lock up Biz when we already have Val. Especially when we need to go out and upgrade the 4 while possibly needing to replace DeRozan.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Moving Val and keeping biz? Wtf lol?

What's funny about that?

realistically on Toronto Val's a 12-14 and 8-10 player, but he has a lot of value because he could probably be a 18 and 10 player in the right situation and hes young. The thing is you know Demar is going to be back for a long time after the summer, Kyle will be back on a big contract the season after so the fact remains Val in this system is not as valuable as a guy who scores say 8-10 points but grabs 12-14 boards and has 2-3 blocks a game.

You could move Val for a extremely valuable piece/pieces. If you look outside the box and realize that trading him could potentially bring more value to Toronto then keeping him would be worth it?

Same with the 9th pick and say a guy like Ross. You would defiantly have interest and snag a pretty good player/players in a deal like that. Toronto is going to have to move contracts next season in order to improve imo.

IMO the best course of action is asset management, is losing Biz a good move over keeping Val who doesn't fit well in this system any how. Do you use the 9 pick or package it for a core piece to make you better now?

If they are still in a win now mode after the playoffs then yup.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Any situation that results in Bismack Biyombo as your starting centre is poor asset management.

I mean come on people. Did you not see him get run off the floor the first two games in this series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->