Raptors Discussion: V65 Round 3! No sweep for Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Biz really isn't that much better at JV defensively. JV is an excellent rebounder and rim defender as well. He also has hands and can score in the post. The emotions of the playoffs are getting to you. JV is a significantly better player

JV is the better player, I don't think anyone is disputing that, but it's about fitting into this system, and JV doesn't really get utilized well at all. In his stretch of games when JV was down with injury Biz played exactly like you would expect him to. Put up good stat lines etc.

The thing is asset management, and whats the best move going forward? Keeping Val around and maybe he turns into a 14-16 ppg big, who grabs 10 boards a game. maybe he doesn't.

But val is stagnating offensively in this system, not his fault he just doesn't get the ball enough, but if the core pieces are back then he's probably going to remain right about where he is. I think a better fit could be found, I am not for paying Biz stupid money to keep him around.

But Val is a huge chip that a lot of teams would covet and could potentially bring Toronto a big haul.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Any situation that results in Bismack Biyombo as your starting centre is poor asset management.

I mean come on people. Did you not see him get run off the floor the first two games in this series?

I see this point of view but I agree with Joey; that if the right deal came along for an elite PF, I would move Val. I wouldn't trade Val in almost any scenario but if situation came along where we had an opportunity for a legit PF like Favors then I might do that type of deal if we're getting another piece.

Biyombo
Favors
Carrol
Derozan
Lowry

I would rather Biyombo - Favors starting over Val and Scola.

If Biyombo is beside a dominant F/C that can score like Favors it would be one of the most dominant front courts in the association

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Let Derozan walk or sign and trade him and make JV a more vital part of the offense.

He's one of the best centres in the East and has only been improving his game every year. He's got some work to do still, but a lot of his mistakes come from infrequent use IMO. Just look at what the kid was doing before he got injured. He's a monster...

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I was most alarmed by that 6 minute period where Raptors couldn't score in the 4th. Were very lucky Cleveland didn't take advantage of that.

Great game for Biyombo !

Think Raptors are capable of pulling off an upset but can't fall asleep like that...

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I see this point of view but I agree with Joey; that if the right deal came along for an elite PF, I would move Val. I wouldn't trade Val in almost any scenario but if situation came along where we had an opportunity for a legit PF like Favors then I might do that type of deal if we're getting another piece.

Biyombo
Favors
Carrol
Derozan
Lowry

I would rather Biyombo - Favors starting over Val and Scola.

If Biyombo is beside a dominant F/C that can score like Favors it would be one of the most dominant front courts in the association

You can keep JV and still upgrade significantly at PF.

A starting lineup with Biyombo/Favors/DeMar would be one the worst spacing lineups in the league (concurrently if you let DD walk, you can probably upgrade at PF and bring back both JV and Biyombo next year).

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Any chance when Val gets healthy he replaces Patterson in the lineup?

It's pretty painful watching him toss bricks game in and game out.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Move the 9 pick and Ross to land a legit starting pf

This package does not land a legit starting PF. Powell + 9th maybe gets us started. Ross has next to no value.

Trading the 9th pick would be a bad move though. Masai needs to be smart if he wants to sustain a competitive roster. He needs to hit a home run with the 9th. There isn't a young star out there (i.e. Favors) that can be had.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I would have absolutely loved if the Raps could have stolen 1 game in Cleveland

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think James Johnson should play more. In limited time he has good numbers (if you look at his PER and WS/48).

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Also, it is scary just how good Val's numbers have been in the playoffs. 27.6 PER, .246 WS/48.

No one on this team comes close. Bismack has been solid with his 17.2 PER.

Stunning that DeRozan is still sitting on negative win shares.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think James Johnson should play more. In limited time he has good numbers (if you look at his PER and WS/48).

I've been saying this for a while now. He isn't as selfish on offence like he was and he can drive the lane with ease that demands teams to bring help. This leaves a wide open 3 a lot and he has the passing ability to make that play. Pretty good defensively too.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
You guys need to settle down with the Biz love.

Seriously.

They don't have bigs who can stop another big. Their bigs are god awful. JV would dominate these guys.

The thing that impressed me most about Biz last night was something no one on here is talking about. He was guarding LBJ! He wasn't getting fouls called against him, and he was taking LBJ stride for stride to the basket and making it super tough for LBJ to get anything going...

Going forward Biz needs to keep doing this, because he's known for getting in foul trouble. But you people saying Biz over J VAL need to settle down. J Val can rebound as well as anyone on the team.. Especially when Cavs play their biggest man as Thompson..

EscapeGoat

We The North
Mar 27, 2013
The Hockey Mecca
is there a chance we can force a third game seven?

No, Cavs probably win in 5. Raps fans should be happy they won one game.

Winning the next game at home isn't impossible but a lot of things have to go right again. Irving/Love won't be that poor again. Lebron will see the ball more.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Winning the next game at home isn't impossible but a lot of things have to go right again. Irving/Love won't be that poor again. Lebron will see the ball more.

I think you'll be surprised. Irving and Love are overrated. Raptors can still win the next game, it will just be a closer affair. People keep underrating the Raps, and that's fine. I think they are very capable of making this a 7 gamer.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Still think we're getting one Lowry game, but it pretty much has to be tomorrow.

This OKC game is fantastic. Thunder in 6 plz

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
JV is the better player, I don't think anyone is disputing that, but it's about fitting into this system, and JV doesn't really get utilized well at all. In his stretch of games when JV was down with injury Biz played exactly like you would expect him to. Put up good stat lines etc.

The thing is asset management, and whats the best move going forward? Keeping Val around and maybe he turns into a 14-16 ppg big, who grabs 10 boards a game. maybe he doesn't.

But val is stagnating offensively in this system, not his fault he just doesn't get the ball enough, but if the core pieces are back then he's probably going to remain right about where he is. I think a better fit could be found, I am not for paying Biz stupid money to keep him around.

But Val is a huge chip that a lot of teams would covet and could potentially bring Toronto a big haul.

The raptors for years were looking for a solution at C and were able to draft Val. He's as untouchable as it gets. The minute he gets moved the organization would regret it and they'd be frantically trying to replace him. He's going nowhere.

If Val is stagnant on offense then what is Biyombo? Val's post game and shot are wayyyyyyy better than Biyombo's. He's also a much better free throw shooter.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Good I hope LeBron gets the ball again, the raps played him perfectly in game 4. Held a gap between him and the basket forcing him to make jumpers which he's not great at. And when he did drive there was help.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Dahntay Jones suspended a game for that nutshot at the end

Draymond Green tonight:

CjGjT6DWsAQdDLt.jpg

He better be suspended. Hopefully the NBA doesn't show its double standards here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad