Raptors Discussion: v42 | all hail the Masai-ah|Raptors sign PG Will Cherry to 2yr contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Marc J. Spears @SpearsNBAYahoo · 16m
Former D-League Canton guard Will Cherry has agreed in principle to sign a two-year minimum deal with the Raptors, a source told Yahoo.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That's a full roster now.

|Starter|Bench|Reserve
PG|Lowry|Vasquez|Cherry
SG|DeRozan|Williams| Fields
SF|Ross|J.Johnson| Caboclo
PF|A.Johnson|Patterson| Hayes
C|Valanciunas|Nogueira|Hansbrough

Red are likely healthy scratches (to start the season at least)

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Outside of Williams and Vasquez, the Raps have basically everyone who can play a varying level of defense. Raps should be a top 3 defensive team in the NBA next year.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Nice to see the Raptors actually going out and improving certain areas rather than just being satisfied with last years run. So is Nogueira coming over for sure?

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I hope Fields gets some decent playing time. Was always impressed by him when he got to play more than 5 minutes per game last season.

#FreeLandry

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I hope Fields gets some decent playing time. Was always impressed by him when he got to play more than 5 minutes per game last season.

#FreeLandry

It will be interesting what his wrist looks like this year. He used to be able to shoot but since a pretty debilitating injury to his wrist he hasn't been the same. If he comes in looking like the old Fields, he could be a difference maker off the bench.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Source: Raptors sign guard Will Cherry

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--raptors-sign-d-league-guard-will-cherry-005437165.html

Former D-League Canton guard Will Cherry has agreed to a two-year deal worth the NBA minimum with the Toronto Raptors, a source told Yahoo Sports Wednesday.

Cherry averaged 11.6 points, 4.5 assists, 3.7 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game for Canton last season. The 6-foot, 185-pounder went undrafted out of Montana in 2013. Cherry also received strong interest from the Cleveland Cavaliers after playing for their summer league squad this year.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Report: Raptors Sign Will Cherry

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2014/07/30/report-raptors-sign-will-cherry/

That’s the Raptors third string point guard right there. The 23-year old attended McClymonds High in Oakland, then played 116 games for the Montana Grizzlies in Division I, before going undrafted in 2013. Then he played on the Pelicans summer league team in 2013, before doing the same for Cleveland this summer. Last season he was with the Canton Charge of the D-League.

His DX profile doesn’t stay much but on the evidence of watching him at Summer League he’s a quick little guard at 6’0″ who can distribute the ball in spots and has that herky-jerkyness about him that is reminiscent of T.J Ford. He’s unlikely to get too many minutes and is here entirely for injury purposes. He does play some aggressive defense and you can see Dwane Casey using him in situations where full-court pressure might be warranted.

His shooting stats won’t blow you away – 45% in D-League and only 30% for three. He’s here for his defense and ball-handling, that’s about it. He averaged 11.6 points and 4.5 assists in 30.3 minutes per game.

If Lucas Nogueira’s contract is bought out, this would bring the Raptors roster to 15.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Cherry signing is interesting... I wonder why they didn't just stick with Buycks who seemed to have good chemistry

Sounds like Cherry is a better defender and more of a playmaker. Both of which suit the 3rd PG slot for the Raptors better than a shoot-first PG like Buycks.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Sounds like Cherry is a better defender and more of a playmaker. Both of which suit the 3rd PG slot for the Raptors better than a shoot-first PG like Buycks.

Definitely. I saw him play a couple of summer league games. He's got more game then Buycks.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Reminded me of Kevin Ware. Such an ugly injury. My thoughts go to George and the Pacers organization right now. Absolutely horrible :(

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Almost at 1000.

Also RIP Paul George. Damn it's a brutal injury. Reminds me of Garbo. I hope he makes a speedy recovery. If there's one positive note you could take from this is this now makes it easier on the Raps but really there's no positives that come out of this.

You don't want to see anyone get injured like that, athlete or not.

Cringed so bad.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Reminds me of Shaun Livingston too.

In better news, got my tickets for Raptors/Kings in Vancouver in October.

I never saw Shaun's but just as a reminder I went back to see Garbo's again on YouTube and I still feel sick. The way he's screaming in agony. It doesn't look as bad as Paul's at least from one angle but then you see it from the baseline. Sickening.

I don't think I'll share the video here unless you guys are morbidly curious so you can draw a comparison. The injury ended his career as a Raptor and I think really hurt the team after that year when they won the Atlantic.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I never saw Shaun's but just as a reminder I went back to see Garbo's again on YouTube and I still feel sick. The way he's screaming in agony. It doesn't look as bad as Paul's at least from one angle but then you see it from the baseline. Sickening.

I don't think I'll share the video here unless you guys are morbidly curious so you can draw a comparison. The injury ended his career as a Raptor and I think really hurt the team after that year when they won the Atlantic.

Livingston's was the same way IIRC it also wrecked his knee at the same time and there were doubts he'd ever be able to run again, let alone play basketball on it.

and yeah, smart move now putting the YT on here. If anyone's really that set on losing their lunch, they can go track it down themselves.

EDIT: that's also 1k. I'll lock this up and start a new thread in a sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad