Raptors Discussion: v42 | all hail the Masai-ah|Raptors sign PG Will Cherry to 2yr contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He's still listed as Lucas Nogueira on every roster I see, so until the various media rosters update and refer to him by his nickname or as one name (like Nene), I'll likely keep calling him Lucas :laugh:

LUUCCAAASSSS

if anyone has watched GDTs with me...you'll know what I'm talking about.

A odd nickname in bebe for sure lol.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Apparently Jason Whitlock was on Jeff Blair's show yesterday to defend his "Canadian players lack drive" comments. Funnily enough he didn't try to make it sound like he meant somthing different. He just reiterated that he thinks Canadians don't "want it" as much as American players do.:laugh:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Tucker re-signs with Suns

Arete Sports Agency ‏@AreteSports

So proud of PJ Tucker for all he has done to make it to this moment with the @Suns. Congratulations! #TeamArete

BtRMVeiCEAEamLC.jpg:large

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Suns overpaid a bit for Tucker. I'm glad we got James Johnson at the price we did.

meanwhile, Raptors announced today that their training camp will be in Vancouver this year. Too bad it's not open to the public.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Suns overpaid a bit for Tucker. I'm glad we got James Johnson at the price we did.

meanwhile, Raptors announced today that their training camp will be in Vancouver this year. Too bad it's not open to the public.

What did they sign him for?

I agree Johnson was a really good pick up, his defense will really help but his shooting may leave a few shaking their heads however if he picks his shots, he can be a force and good on breakouts.

The Raptors are really pushing for Vancouver to get another team and they'll have to polish up that Canada Cup if it happens.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What did they sign him for?

I agree Johnson was a really good pick up, his defense will really help but his shooting may leave a few shaking their heads however if he picks his shots, he can be a force and good on breakouts.

The Raptors are really pushing for Vancouver to get another team and they'll have to polish up that Canada Cup if it happens.

3/$16.4

So the Suns are paying him about $5.5m per year while the Raptors are getting Johnson for like $2.5m per.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Report: Will Cherry drawing interest from Cavaliers, Raptors

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....erry-drawing-interest-from-cavaliers-raptors/

Cherry was hard to miss even for a guy generously listed as 6’0” — on a team with Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett he was the aggressor with the ball, never fearing to attack or take a shot. He was a gunner. He averaged 12.8 points a game but shot a very nice 52 percent doing so. The former Montana star played a few games in the D-League for the Canton Charge last season but made an impression in Las Vegas.

Enough that he is getting looks from Cleveland and Toronto, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.

Marc J. Spears ✔ @SpearsNBAYahoo

After strong summer league, free agent Will Cherry, ex-D-League Canton guard, is getting serious interest from Cavs & Raptors, a source said
12:10 PM - 25 Jul 2014

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hawks sign Shelvin Mack to a 3 year deal at $2.5M per. Means they now got a jam at the PG position with Teague, Mack, and Schroeder. Maybe we can swoop Schroeder for the 3rd PG spot?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hawks sign Shelvin Mack to a 3 year deal at $2.5M per. Means they now got a jam at the PG position with Teague, Mack, and Schroeder. Maybe we can swoop Schroeder for the 3rd PG spot?

Not likely. If they're gonna trade him, they'll want something better than the dregs the Raptors can offer to make him a 3rd PG. Some team looking for a young future starter will pay more

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Not likely. If they're gonna trade him, they'll want something better than the dregs the Raptors can offer to make him a 3rd PG. Some team looking for a young future starter will pay more

You think the Raps might target Toney Douglas or even Billups? If Douglas is the guy I'm thinking about he is a pretty good defender who won't cost much and could be a good 3rd option at PG.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
You think the Raps might target Toney Douglas or even Billups? If Douglas is the guy I'm thinking about he is a pretty good defender who won't cost much and could be a good 3rd option at PG.

Billups is way past his prime and Toney Douglas can do better then 3rd PG duties. I don't see either of those happening.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

They should be looking for someone to back up at center. There are still some options out there some great ones if they can convince them to take a low salary.

We have 3 guys who can play point minutes in Lowry, Vasquez and Williams if someone goes down. That being said we have a real problem in the front court if Amir has problems this season, and electing not to have surgery. No one to play meaningful minutes when Val is in foul trouble.

JoVa

Apr 23, 2014
Looks like JV got bigger. I wanted him to trim down a bit from last season, but I guess he wants to bang with the big boys under the basket.

10554132_269402503263802_1118644945_n.jpg

Also, PJ Tucker news.

Phoenix Suns player P.J. Tucker was arrested for "super extreme DUI" in May by Scottsdale police.

Tucker's blood alcohol content registered at .201 on a preliminary breath test in the field on May 10, according to Scottsdale police. A driver is considered legally drunk for a DUI charge in Arizona at .08 blood-alcohol content. A blood test administered after Tucker was taken to jail and later analyzed by Arizona DPS showed his blood alcohol-content to be .222, according to the police report. A super extreme DUI is .20 or more.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2014/07/28/suns-player-pj-tucker-dui-arrest/13299361/

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They should be looking for someone to back up at center. There are still some options out there some great ones if they can convince them to take a low salary.

We have 3 guys who can play point minutes in Lowry, Vasquez and Williams if someone goes down. That being said we have a real problem in the front court if Amir has problems this season, and electing not to have surgery. No one to play meaningful minutes when Val is in foul trouble.

Emeka Okafor would be a dream for the back-up spot but he'll probably cost too much.

What about Ekpe Udoh?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Udoh is too lean for a 5 IMO. He's more of a 4. Not to mention the Warriors have very few good shot blockers and rim defenders, and he is one of them, so they will likely not give him up.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Vasquez Leads Venezuela To South American Title

http://www.nba.com/raptors/vasquez-leads-venezuela-south-american-title

The 27-year-old point guard was instrumental in helping Venezuala capture the 2014 South American Championship with a 74-65 win over Argentina in Monday's final on Venezuela's Isla Margarita.

Vasquez recorded game highs in points (24) and assists (four) in the decisive win, which also helped him sew up MVP honours for the tournament with averages of 15.2 points and 2.8 assists per contest.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 4m
Former D-League Canton guard Will Cherry has agreed in principle to sign a two-year minimum deal with the Raptors, a source told Yahoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad