NCAA: USC and UCLA planning on leaving for the Big Ten

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I still feel like the Big Ten will still want to get into the state of Texas. It’s a huge market and is still growing. They flirted with Texas before (as did the PAC 12), but they are off the table and so is aTm but I don’t know which school would be the best fit. Same with Florida.

I'd agree ordinarily, but the Big Ten still cares about academic standards, and Texas was really the only option that remotely fit that mold. I don't forsee them going after TT or Baylor with that in mind, and SEC money and prestige will keep Texas even if the BTN can offer a bit more dough.

Same for Florida. All due respect to the institutions down there, but I don't see a poachable target that fits the Big Ten mold.

Big Ten will be looking at the Pac 12 or ACC for future expansion raids, imho. SEC is blatantly safe and I don't think there's a sizable market left for the Big 12 to offer at this point. Kansas gets mentioned regularly, but I don't think their basketball credentials are enough to bring in another smaller market with a limited football draw.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'd agree ordinarily, but the Big Ten still cares about academic standards, and Texas was really the only option that remotely fit that mold. I don't forsee them going after TT or Baylor with that in mind, and SEC money and prestige will keep Texas even if the BTN can offer a bit more dough.

Same for Florida. All due respect to the institutions down there, but I don't see a poachable target that fits the Big Ten mold.

Big Ten will be looking at the Pac 12 or ACC for future expansion raids, imho. SEC is blatantly safe and I don't think there's a sizable market left for the Big 12 to offer at this point. Kansas gets mentioned regularly, but I don't think their basketball credentials are enough to bring in another smaller market with a limited football draw.

Agreed. Out of the Big 12 and ACC schools I think UNC and Virginia would be the B1G's top targets.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Reactions: DaveG

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Agreed. Out of the Big 12 and ACC schools I think UNC and Virginia would be the B1G's top targets.

I'd add Syracuse and Georgia Tech to that list, too.

Can't wait for the 30 for 30

RIP Pac 12 lol

That seems like a stopgap to prop up the Big 12 until the SEC and/or Big Ten come knocking again.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'd add Syracuse and Georgia Tech to that list, too.

That seems like a stopgap to prop up the Big 12 until the SEC and/or Big Ten come knocking again.

I see Georgia Tech as a maybe, and Syracuse as highly doubtful. UNC and UV would be more valuable, and if they get ORE/WASH that's 20 teams already.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I see Georgia Tech as a maybe, and Syracuse as highly doubtful. UNC and UV would be more valuable, and if they get ORE/WASH that's 20 teams already.
Big10 didn’t land any big fish with their prior round in Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska. In terms of on field sports competitiveness. If they could have a do-over with that they probably would.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Big10 didn’t land any big fish with their prior round in Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska. In terms of on field sports competitiveness. If they could have a do-over with that they probably would.

I'm sure they have some regrets. But I also think market size/value/priority comes first, and on field competitiveness is second.

Syracuse doesn't seem to have great media value, even though in theory they should have most of New York to themselves. Georgia Tech is in a market dominated by Georgia.

Oregon, Washington, UNC and Virginia are all schools with bigger media markets imo.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I mean, I don’t dispute the possibility, but everything is up for speculation now. SEC already has their TV deal so whoever they bring in is just splitting the pie more ways. Betcha Florida is against this especially.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I mean, I don’t dispute the possibility, but everything is up for speculation now. SEC already has their TV deal so whoever they bring in is just splitting the pie more ways. Betcha Florida is against this especially.
Yeah, the Gata would likely fight that tooth and nail, but with all of the dominoes falling/about to fall it remains to be seen how hard the $EC will listen to them. Insiders at the U say the new AD is working hard behind the scenes to make sure we are not left behind when the dust settles. Thank goodness we have this bright new regime (along with the incomparable NIL king John Ruiz) because I shudder to think what would have happened had the old incompetent AD, along with Diaz stuck around.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, the Gata would likely fight that tooth and nail, but with all of the dominoes falling/about to fall it remains to be seen how hard the $EC will listen to them. Insiders at the U say the new AD is working hard behind the scenes to make sure we are not left behind when the dust settles. Thank goodness we have this bright new regime (along with the incomparable NIL king John Ruiz) because I shudder to think what would have happened had the old incompetent AD, along with Diaz stuck around.
I’ve mentioned the state of Florida a few times, I’m confident that Miami wouldn’t be left out, even if they still have bumbling leadership.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Florida and South Carolina are probably pretty happy being the SEC team of their respective states. If the SEC moves to add these guys, it'll almost assuredly have to be done over the opposition of those guys.

I also doubt somebody with 15k followers would be the one to break this, too. I'd recommend waiting for actual smoke versus randos on Twitter possibly speculating.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Florida and South Carolina are probably pretty happy being the SEC team of their respective states. If the SEC moves to add these guys, it'll almost assuredly have to be done over the opposition of those guys.

I also doubt somebody with 15k followers would be the one to break this, too. I'd recommend waiting for actual smoke versus randos on Twitter possibly speculating.

Florida is closer to be able to, but neither program really has the clout to stop the move. Especially SC trying to stop Clemson

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Florida is closer to be able to, but neither program really has the clout to stop the move. Especially SC trying to stop Clemson

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the SEC requires unanimous agreement from members to add a new school? Meaning SC could veto Clemson or more importantly Florida could veto FSU or Miami?

If I’m Florida I absolutely want no competition from FSU or Miami to recruit players for the SEC.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would such a deal possibly allow the ACC teams to escape their media grant of rights to leave the ACC earlier then 2036 is what I’m most curious about.
ESPN are the ones trying to get out of the deal, so, probably I think?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
ESPN are the ones trying to get out of the deal, so, probably I think?
sounds like the SEC/ACC Network shouldn't have been funded by ESPN to start with if this was the end result, remember Longhorn was the first network ESPN backed but how many cable operators carry it or even offer it as compared to ACC/SEC)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the SEC requires unanimous agreement from members to add a new school? Meaning SC could veto Clemson or more importantly Florida could veto FSU or Miami?

If I’m Florida I absolutely want no competition from FSU or Miami to recruit players for the SEC.
If that was true I would have expected A&M to keep Texas out of SEC. but Texas and OU good for business.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad