NCAA: USC and UCLA planning on leaving for the Big Ten

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This isn’t the end.
Feels like a clear separation from the big programs from the middle of the puck to lower tiered ones.

Like USC, UCLA, and say Oregon due to Nike money at the top of the Pac12 vs Utah, Wash st, Or St, and say Stanford (due to academics).

Same applies to the other conferences where there is Vanderbilt in SEC.

I had expected that one day we’d see a power 64 where essentially the Big12 gets blown up and the Big10, Pac12, SEC and ACC all become 16 schools large.

Wonder if it makes more sense for al the big schools to leave their conference and start a new one together?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The Big Ten Network is an enormous moneymaker. It dwarfs even the SEC Network in terms of revenue, at least as of last time I checked.

Adding California to the mix is only going to raise revenues by a healthy chunk, too.
I didn't know the Big Ten was the bigger moneymaker here. Makes more sense then.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh yeah. I don't have the exact figures on me, but at least as of several years ago each Big Ten school got more dough from BTN than Notre Dame gets out of NBC.

BTN is the juggernaut of the NCAA.
Seems like it would be better for the top schools in both Big10 and Pac12 to form a new conference than keep the Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Oregon St, Utah, Wash St, schools.

Ucla, USC, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, OSU, Penn State, etc. in a 12-14 school conference.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Oregon has a move to make here, feel like Washington will have to be involved. The power 5 is gonna be dead, and there are schools that will be aggressive to not be left behind. But if you get both of those schools, you have your stake on the west coast.

Big Ten has their TV deal coming up, so schools trying to be in the club.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
All I know is that I'd be up for visiting LA for an Illini/Bruins game at the Rose Bowl. That interest to follow my team doesn't really extend to regular season matchups at any other stadium.

.... actually heck, LA Coliseum would be a nice one to go to, too.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sorry but this is stupid from logistics/logic standpoint

It's a pure money grab by everyone involved so I guess in that sense it makes sense

Still going to be absolutely odd to see USC and UCLA in conference

Reactions: HisIceness

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sorry but this is stupid from logistics/logic standpoint

It's a pure money grab by everyone involved so I guess in that sense it makes sense

Still going to be absolutely odd to see USC and UCLA in conference
I wonder how long this new big 10 lasts? Would have thought that the top 12 money schools in both conferences would have banded together and created a new conference.

Same with the SEC and ACC now that the big12 lost Texas, Oklahoma and A&M.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I wonder how long this new big 10 lasts? Would have thought that the top 12 money schools in both conferences would have banded together and created a new conference.

Same with the SEC and ACC now that the big12 lost Texas, Oklahoma and A&M.
wasn't it 11 depending on the sport

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, the Pac 12 is going down. Stanford, Oregon, and Washington need to be figuring out what they need to do. I guess Cal is in there. Wazzu and Oregon State probably get left behind. A giant race to get into super conferences with the end game for them to have their own subdivision that cuts out all the Group of 5 schools.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad