NCAA: USC and UCLA planning on leaving for the Big Ten

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The 4 ACC teams that interest the B1G the most are probably UVa, UNC, Duke, and of all weird ass options GT. They have the academic fit and you know the B1G would LOVE to crack the Atlanta market.
Unfortunately for GT, no one in Atlanta really cares about their athletics. Even when they're good, UGA fans vastly outnumber them even in Atlanta. They're kinda in no man's land in that respect. Sort of like Vanderbilt and Tennessee fans in Nashville but even more lopsided.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Unfortunately for GT, no one in Atlanta really cares about their athletics. Even when they're good, UGA fans vastly outnumber them even in Atlanta. They're kinda in no man's land in that respect. Sort of like Vanderbilt and Tennessee fans in Nashville but even more lopsided.
Not wrong. But TVs in market the big 10 can push on cable companies are still TVs. Same reason that Rutgers was added. Literally nobody in New Jersey gives a f*** about them either and yet there they are.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If anything, from the SEC's perspective, I'd actually imagine that they'd be more interested in NC State over Duke or UNC. They're a football first and last conference.

As for the Big Ten, I think they're UNC or bust when it comes to the state of North Carolina.
The 4 ACC teams that interest the B1G the most are probably UVa, UNC, Duke, and of all weird ass options GT. They have the academic fit and you know the B1G would LOVE to crack the Atlanta market.

Agreed. I don’t see any way the B1G wants both UNC and Duke. It would be UNC or nothing.

UNC and Virginia are the two the B1G would want most.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It looks like the Big Ten is going after Notre Dame.

Don‘t know what the timetable is, but Notre Dame isn’t going to join the SEC. So they have an upcoming decision of either joining the B1G or hanging out in their semi independent ACC relationship. With the ACC moving towards 2nd tier and raided by the SEC/B1G as soon it makes financial sense for the biggest ACC schools to leave.

Worth noting Notre Dame isn’t an AAU school. Almost certainly the only non AAU school the B1G would consider adding given their long historical relationship.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Don‘t know what the timetable is, but Notre Dame isn’t going to join the SEC. So they have an upcoming decision of either joining the B1G or hanging out in their semi independent ACC relationship. With the ACC moving towards 2nd tier and raided by the SEC/B1G as soon it makes financial sense for the biggest ACC schools to leave.

Worth noting Notre Dame isn’t an AAU school. Almost certainly the only non AAU school the B1G would consider adding given their long historical relationship.
I didn't realize Notre Dame isn't an AAU school but the Big Ten would most likely add them. The question is did the Big Ten give them a timeline for an answer or are they willing to wait for a while.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I didn't realize Notre Dame isn't an AAU school but the Big Ten would most likely add them. The question is did the Big Ten give them a timeline for an answer or are they willing to wait for a while.

The AAU schools generally have big post graduate departments with lots of research grants.

Notre Dame has a highly regarded law school and some other post grad programs, but they’d be the smallest school in the B1G by a huge margin (12.6k vs Northwestern 22.3k)

Also close to the bottom of the post grad student population, ahead of Nebraska I think.

Reactions: red devil

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
With the B1G awaiting ND, should they accept I think Stanford is who enters with them. Another California school who has rivalries with the LA schools, plus they already play ND annually.

If they decline, I think Oregon and Washington are the next pair. No matter what happens to them I think they are a package deal.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I wonder how long this new big 10 lasts? Would have thought that the top 12 money schools in both conferences would have banded together and created a new conference.

Same with the SEC and ACC now that the big12 lost Texas, Oklahoma and A&M.
That would never happen. FOX is the one steering the ship, these schools lose everything if they leave the Big Ten.

FOX and ESPN are both working to create their own superleagues. That's the end game.

Seeing conflicting stuff online of Washington, Oregon, and Stanford reaching out to the Big Ten alongside reports that the Big Ten already did their homework on the PAC 12 and are done expanding (for now).

And I have no clue what to expect. 24 hours ago, I figured expansion was years away at the soonest, and when it happened that the ACC would be the poached victim by going after some combo of Syracuse, Virginia, UNC, and/or Georgia Tech. No freaking idea what the next step is for the Big Ten, as a jaunt over to California completely hoodwinked me.

And before anyone brings it up, I don’t think Notre Dame is on the Big Ten’s radar. Their interest is market expansion, and with Indiana already locked down and each school already getting more money from BTN than ND gets out of freaking NBC, I don't think they’re interested anymore.
I've thought that for years but times are changing. Cable is dying a slow death, and the future is very likely a BTN/FS1 streaming bundle. So adding a huge fan base that will pay to see the games is a plus long term.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

An 18-22 team Big Ten is going to leave them a lot of overhead

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If this happened a while back this would have completely changed my sports world; having grown up a Penn State fan before moving to LA. I haven't paid much attention to college ball since the death of the EA Sports games, though, so this just sounds like a logistical nightmare instead.

Notre Dame can f*** right off forever. Just in general.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With the B1G awaiting ND, should they accept I think Stanford is who enters with them. Another California school who has rivalries with the LA schools, plus they already play ND annually.

If they decline, I think Oregon and Washington are the next pair. No matter what happens to them I think they are a package deal.
Just looking at what is left in the PAC, the best schools left to poach are Wash, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona.
ACC UNC, Clemson, Miami, Florida State. Duke only for Basketball with UNC. On its own not as strong a choice.
And ND of course.

Depending on the number of schools that the Big10 and SEC want to get it, be it 20-24, then it opens or closes the option on schools like
VaTech, Georgia Tech, Cal, Baylor, Kansas, Syracuse, WV, etc.

The Athletic programs at the schools left out, they are going to get less TV money without their anchor schools as their TV rights won't be worth as much or best case, won't be growing at the rate the other 2 big conferences are. Going to impact which sports they opt to keep and drop.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Just looking at what is left in the PAC, the best schools left to poach are Wash, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona.
ACC UNC, Clemson, Miami, Florida State. Duke only for Basketball with UNC. On its own not as strong a choice.
And ND of course.

Depending on the number of schools that the Big10 and SEC want to get it, be it 20-24, then it opens or closes the option on schools like
VaTech, Georgia Tech, Cal, Baylor, Kansas, Syracuse, WV, etc.

The Athletic programs at the schools left out, they are going to get less TV money without their anchor schools as their TV rights won't be worth as much or best case, won't be growing at the rate the other 2 big conferences are. Going to impact which sports they opt to keep and drop.

Of those schools, AAU members: Wash, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona, UNC, Duke, GaTech, Cal, Kansas

Not AAU: Clemson, Miami, FSU, VaTech, Baylor, Syracuse, WV

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Two things.

1. This is beyond insanity, USC and UCLA are nowhere close to any B1G school and will now have conference members who play in states on the opposite coast. It's also another signal that NCAAF is headed for a collapse at some point, $$$ talks but for someone like me who used to enjoy the sport, the realignment thing has been a huge turn-off. Look at Texas A&M, they very easily could have dominated the Big 12 last decade but settled for the SEC payday and the opportunity to get blasted by Alabama, LSU, and (when they decide to be good) Auburn along with other non SEC-West schools like Georgia and (again like Auburn, when they decide to have a good season) Florida. Now Texas and OU decide they too want in on this action, and how has that worked out? We don't know yet but Lincoln Riley wanted no part of the SEC so he bolts OU. How often does a coach leave a program like OU for another opportunity?

2. I see people talking about the AAU thing, maybe it's just me but I've never understood the fascination with that shit. I mean, Kansas is a longtime member and yet I can remember seeing non-AAU schools like UGA, LSU, NCSU, UConn, Clemson, etc. either ranked higher than KU or in the same ballpark as them in those University rankings that come out every year. Hell Georgia Tech, one of the top engineering schools on the planet, has only been a member for like 10 years. Just MO, but the AAU has always seemed like schoolkids trying to get into "the club", there's no rhyme or reason to it, it's about who thinks who is "cooler".

Someday, the NCAA is going to collapse onto itself and when it does, it can pinpoint this moment in time as to why and when it happened. And, as someone who has come to despise the association for different reasons, I for one look forward to that day. I feel bad though for non-football athletes who one day will become affected by this however.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Two things.

1. This is beyond insanity, USC and UCLA are nowhere close to any B1G school and will now have conference members who play in states on the opposite coast. It's also another signal that NCAAF is headed for a collapse at some point, $$$ talks but for someone like me who used to enjoy the sport, the realignment thing has been a huge turn-off. Look at Texas A&M, they very easily could have dominated the Big 12 last decade but settled for the SEC payday and the opportunity to get blasted by Alabama, LSU, and (when they decide to be good) Auburn along with other non SEC-West schools like Georgia and (again like Auburn, when they decide to have a good season) Florida. Now Texas and OU decide they too want in on this action, and how has that worked out? We don't know yet but Lincoln Riley wanted no part of the SEC so he bolts OU. How often does a coach leave a program like OU for another opportunity?

2. I see people talking about the AAU thing, maybe it's just me but I've never understood the fascination with that shit. I mean, Kansas is a longtime member and yet I can remember seeing non-AAU schools like UGA, LSU, NCSU, UConn, Clemson, etc. either ranked higher than KU or in the same ballpark as them in those University rankings that come out every year. Hell Georgia Tech, one of the top engineering schools on the planet, has only been a member for like 10 years. Just MO, but the AAU has always seemed like schoolkids trying to get into "the club", there's no rhyme or reason to it, it's about who thinks who is "cooler".

Someday, the NCAA is going to collapse onto itself and when it does, it can pinpoint this moment in time as to why and when it happened. And, as someone who has come to despise the association for different reasons, I for one look forward to that day. I feel bad though for non-football athletes who one day will become affected by this however.

Maybe their following what Spurrier said when OU/UT joined the SEC "if you're gonna struggle, you may as well do it in the SEC" (in this case BIG 10) :dunno:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Two things.

1. Let’s wait and see what happens. If Oregon and Washington join the B1G as well we might see a pod where the west coast schools fly east for 2-3 conference games a year. And the flying distance from Oregon/Washington to Arizona isn’t that different from many of the Midwest B1G schools. Oddly, having some earlier time games could benefit greatly in recruiting eastern talent and visibly to pollsters for rankings.

2. I don‘t have a personal opinion on the AAU, but it’s been very important to the B1G regents in all the conference expansions since they went past 10 teams. I doubt they make an exception for any school other then Notre Dame. While most of us here understandably focus on the sports angle of the conference, there is a very elitist leadership element across the B1G schools that want any new schools to be academic “peers”.

As I said earlier, AAU largely comes down to post graduate influence, research and grants. AAU is very lightly influenced if at all by the quality of the undergraduate programs, as great as they are at the schools you mentioned.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
This is all Larry Scott's doing. He botched the media deal, and rejected ESPN's lifeline to carry the Pac-12 Network, which might've been enough to make SC/UCLA think twice about bolting. New commish Kliavkoff also missed the boat by not talking to the LA schools about increasing their split for the new deal. But seeing how the conference basically turned its back on USC when we got sanctioned and all the other schools cheering our downfall, I don't feel sorry for them.

This is the beginning of the 2 Super conferences, the B1G/Fox vs. SEC/ESPN. Combine that with all the ridiculous NIL deals going on and you can also say this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Someone should do one of those domino memes that starts with the 1987 fiesta bowl being moved to January 2 and goes to the downfall of the NCAA.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
This is all Larry Scott's doing. He botched the media deal, and rejected ESPN's lifeline to carry the Pac-12 Network, which might've been enough to make SC/UCLA think twice about bolting. New commish Kliavkoff also missed the boat by not talking to the LA schools about increasing their split for the new deal. But seeing how the conference basically turned its back on USC when we got sanctioned and all the other schools cheering our downfall, I don't feel sorry for them.

This is the beginning of the 2 Super conferences, the B1G/Fox vs. SEC/ESPN. Combine that with all the ridiculous NIL deals going on and you can also say this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA.
I'm a Washington fan, and when talking to my Oregon fan uncle, we both said this exact thing, Scott's arrogance thinking he could run a TV network screwed the conference badly. I also hated the terrible scheduling, whether it was all the late night games or start times not determined till less than a week in advance.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think that the Pac 12 just got complacent and assumed they were safe. The Big 12 seemed like the sensible target for the SEC and Big Ten to continue poaching, with the ACC providing additional grounds for expansion as well whenever their media deal ends. Pac 12 obviously figured that Texas Tech and Kansas would be poaching targets before they were threatened.

But all it really took was one move for that false security to collapse away like a house of cards. Even with the Big Ten allegedly standing pat, I would not at all be surprised if they were taking deep looks at Colorado, Stanford, Cal, Washington, and Oregon as future additions as part of their superconference schemes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I still feel like the Big Ten will still want to get into the state of Texas. It’s a huge market and is still growing. They flirted with Texas before (as did the PAC 12), but they are off the table and so is aTm but I don’t know which school would be the best fit. Same with Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad