NCAA: USC and UCLA planning on leaving for the Big Ten

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the SEC requires unanimous agreement from members to add a new school? Meaning SC could veto Clemson or more importantly Florida could veto FSU or Miami?

If I’m Florida I absolutely want no competition from FSU or Miami to recruit players for the SEC.
SEC requires 3/4 of the schools to vote for an invitation.

*3.1.2 Granting of Membership. Membership may be granted by invitation of the Conference at a meeting of the Chief Executive Officers. A vote of at least three-fourths of the members is required to extend an invitation for membership. [Revised: 5/30/91] [Clarified/Conformed 6/1/11]

I could see South Carolina and maybe Georgia voting no. They would need 2 other schools to vote no. At times I have read speculation about some of the schools having a gentleman's agreement between schools to potentially keep their rivals from joining but who knows if that's true.

Reactions: mouser

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
SEC requires 3/4 of the schools to vote for an invitation.

I could see South Carolina and maybe Georgia voting no. They would need 2 other schools to vote no. At times I have read speculation about some of the schools having a gentleman's agreement between schools to potentially keep their rivals from joining but who knows if that's true.
It should depend on which schools are joining and whether they are good for business, ie. bigger tv deal. Texas and OU bring that to the SEC. Missouri, not as much.

FSU, Miami, UNC, Clemson, which ones will be good for a better tv deal?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It should depend on which schools are joining and whether they are good for business, ie. bigger tv deal. Texas and OU bring that to the SEC. Missouri, not as much.

FSU, Miami, UNC, Clemson, which ones will be good for a better tv deal?
UNC has the most potential to bring in new eyeballs even though tons of people in NC already watch the SEC. The SEC TV market in South Carolina and Florida is pretty saturated, even with only one team in each state. The only appeal FSU, Miami and Clemson theoretically bring is national appeal but I'm not sure how much they offer in that respect. FSU and Miami have been mediocre/bad, and Clemson is only recently a national brand but I'm not sure how long it would stay that way if they don't have a cakewalk to the conference championship and playoffs every season like they've had for awhile now other than last year. They've really benefitted from a bad ACC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
UNC has the most potential to bring in new eyeballs even though tons of people in NC already watch the SEC. The SEC TV market in South Carolina and Florida is pretty saturated, even with only one team in each state. The only appeal FSU, Miami and Clemson theoretically bring is national appeal but I'm not sure how much they offer in that respect. FSU and Miami have been mediocre/bad, and Clemson is only recently a national brand but I'm not sure how long it would stay that way if they don't have a cakewalk to the conference championship and playoffs every season like they've had for awhile now other than last year. They've really benefitted from a bad ACC.
Clemson - Plus 2 top calibre nfl QBs prospects back to back.

Miami has been a big brand a couple of times under Jimmy then Ericsson. Not again til Butch Davis and Coker in the early millennium. But it’s been a while for them. Plus they don’t have their own stadium anymore. Played in the dolphins stadium.

FSU not the same allure since Bowden.

UNC never football elite. Basketball elite though.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
This is all about perceived value and markets in order to maximize TV revenue, not recent wins and losses. USC hasn't had ten wins since 2017, UCLA since 2014, and Texas has only done it once in the last 12 years.

I'm curious whether the end goal will be 20 or 24 schools. Probably whatever ESPN and FOX tell them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is all about perceived value and markets in order to maximize TV revenue, not recent wins and losses. USC hasn't had ten wins since 2017, UCLA since 2014, and Texas has only done it once in the last 12 years.

I'm curious whether the end goal will be 20 or 24 schools. Probably whatever ESPN and FOX tell them.
Don't want it to be too large as you won't get enough good matchups. Only so many programs are going to consistently field a strong team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad