USA WC Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
CDeeps said:
According to this

And I'm still wondering what happened to Jason Blake, because I know he commited to the team at one point.

Sounds like it was Waddel and Lavy's decision.
He'd be a boost to the US pk unit.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Now that Manchester has been eliminated, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dustin Brown added to the team.

Me neither, he played on last year's team so he's a good bet to return.

espo*

sk84fun_dc said:
Leadership

Modano named captain.

A's will be worn by Doug Weight, Aaron Miller, and Richard Park.
To me Weight shoud get the captaincy...usually has always answered the bell to play in international tourneys and i think he's been the better international player for the U.S then Modano.Some might disagree but that's how i see it.

X0ssbar

CDeeps said:
According to this update on the Hockey News website, Matt Cullen is out for the entire tournament, and the USA needs to fill two roster spots. This is a blow to Team USA, because Cullen was an impact player in the exhibition games against Canada. It should be interesting to see who Team USA names to the roster.

Here are some American players who played in Europe this year, thus making them attractive options:

Casey Hankinson (played on USA Deutschland Cup team)
Shawn McEachern
Tim Connolly (also on Deutschland Cup team)
Chris Clark
Dan Hinote
Kevyn Adams
Marty Reasoner (played in 2002 and 2003 Worlds for Team USA)
Jamie Langenbrunner (one of the few standouts on USA's World Cup roster)
Jay Pandolfo
Niko Dimatrakos (played on 2003 Worlds team, the one that finished in 13th place)
Ben Clymer

And I'm still wondering what happened to Jason Blake, because I know he commited to the team at one point.

Looking at this list and without diggin too deeply into what positions the teams needs I would like to see Blake and Langenbrunner added.

..but yeah.. what is up with Blake? I think we could really use his speed on the bigger ice.

starsgal09

May 1, 2005
To those who say that Weight has answered the call to play for USA Hockey more often than Modano, and has also been more productive, let's look at the facts from USA Hockey's own media guide:

Weight: Played 5 games for in the World Cup in 2004 and had a goal
6 games at the 2002 Olympics had 3 assists
1998 Olympics 2 points
1996 World Cup team 7 points in 7 games
US National Team in 93 and 94 (6 points and 4 points respectively) both of those years his nhl team was out in the first round or did not make the playoffs
1991 National Junior Team 19 points

Modano: World Cup of 2004 had 6 assists
2002 Olympics 6 assists
1998 Olympics 2 points
1996 World Cup 6 points
Team USA in the Canada Cup in 1991
1990 and 1993 National Team in 93 he had 6 points
1988 and 1989 National Junior Team Ranks 3rd all time for US players in a single IIHF Junior Championship with 15 points in 1989 and second in assists (9)

Just wanted to set the record straight as far as who has played more for USA Hockey. Now, having said that, I was very surprised to see Modano named Captain, although, I was pleased for him.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Dan Galvin said:
Yeah I'm not sure the reasoning why Blake isn't there either. But for now I'd take Lagenbrunner and Brown.

I read in the Hockey News that Blake had committed to the team some time in early March, so he either withdrew for "personal reasons" or because of an injury.

As for Langenbrunner, well, frankly I don't know why he isn't on this team. I know USA hockey is "passing the torch," but its not like Langenbrunner is that old. He's only 30. And like I said in an earlier post, his play on the grind line in the 2004 World Cup was one of the few bright spots for the US.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
CDeeps said:
I read in the Hockey News that Blake had committed to the team some time in early March, so he either withdrew for "personal reasons" or because of an injury.

As for Langenbrunner, well, frankly I don't know why he isn't on this team. I know USA hockey is "passing the torch," but its not like Langenbrunner is that old. He's only 30. And like I said in an earlier post, his play on the grind line in the 2004 World Cup was one of the few bright spots for the US.
Yeah, I thought Lagenbrunner was superb in the World Cup as well. I'm not sure why he isn't already on the team. :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A tremendous honor for Suter. He'll make for a nice addition to the blueline. That leaves one more slot (forward) open. I'm hoping Dustin Brown is named to the team.

X0ssbar

This from today's Fischler's Bluelines:

"Jason Blake’s mysterious absence from Team USA is, at last, explained. Or is it? His agent claims that Blake declined on the grounds that he had signed a new Isles’ contract. Since a new CBA is not completed, his contract is not guaranteed if he’s injured. Plus, the insurance cost for the value of his contract is prohibitive.

We’ll buy that one although there are others who insist that Jason rubbed someone the wrong way on Team USA!"

Link

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Top Shelf said:
This from today's Fischler's Bluelines:

"Jason Blake’s mysterious absence from Team USA is, at last, explained. Or is it? His agent claims that Blake declined on the grounds that he had signed a new Isles’ contract. Since a new CBA is not completed, his contract is not guaranteed if he’s injured. Plus, the insurance cost for the value of his contract is prohibitive.

We’ll buy that one although there are others who insist that Jason rubbed someone the wrong way on Team USA!"

Link

Thanks for the link and info, Top Shelf. Maybe Blake did rub someone the wrong way, who knows? No matter, his absence leaves a spot open for a younger player, such as Dustin Brown or Zach Parise.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CDeeps said:
Thanks for the link and info, Top Shelf. Maybe Blake did rub someone the wrong way, who knows? No matter, his absence leaves a spot open for a younger player, such as Dustin Brown or Zach Parise.

Agreed. I like Blake as a player, but since there are several players of his ilk on Team USA as is, I'd prefer the last roster spot to be filled by a more dyanmic offensive player. Brown fits the bill for me.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Habsfan 32 said:
With who is Suter going to be paired with?

He'll be the 8th defenseman, so he'll probably see spot duty. When he does play it will probably be with a veteran guy like Aaron Miller.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Here is a good article I got off SlamSports. Zach Parise has been added to the team! USA Hockey is moving in the right direction by giving these young players international experience. I only wish Dustin Brown could've been on the team too.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CDeeps said:
Here is a good article I got off SlamSports. Zach Parise has been added to the team! USA Hockey is moving in the right direction by giving these young players international experience. I only wish Dustin Brown could've been on the team too.

Parise is a nice addition. He's proven he can play well in a men's league, so I see no problem with him in this tournament. I would have like to see Brown as well ,but he'll be a fixture in the years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad