USA WC Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Steveorama said:
Does this mean Modano's injury is more serious than we thought? Suter replaced Cullen on the roster...who is Parise replacing?

Modano is fine. He'll likely play against Canada. Even with Suter's addition there was one roster spot open, hence Parise being named to the team.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
The additions of Parise and Suter make this team even younger, but I think they are both good additions.

By the way, this is from about a week ago, but a nice read about Stastny in the St. Louis paper.

Yan Stastny article

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
HAUER Brett
MILLER Aaron
LEOPOLD Jordan
ROACH Andy
LILES John-Michael
MODANO Mike
MARTIN Paul
HALPERN Jeff
GIONTA Brian
YORK Mike
PARK Richard
LEGWAND David
COLE Erik
STASTNY Yan
GILL Hal
KNUBLE Mike
HALL Adam
PARRISH Mark
WEIGHT Do

These are the 19 skaters who have played for US so far in the tourney.
Suter makes 20. 20 is the max.
If they are adding Parise, one of the above players must be injured. Parise might just be coming as insurance in case of an emergency (Canada has Jamie Heward around for the same reason). But Parise can not join the team unless somebody else is injured.
Am I right, or am I right?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Steveorama said:
HAUER Brett
MILLER Aaron
LEOPOLD Jordan
ROACH Andy
LILES John-Michael
MODANO Mike
MARTIN Paul
HALPERN Jeff
GIONTA Brian
YORK Mike
PARK Richard
LEGWAND David
COLE Erik
STASTNY Yan
GILL Hal
KNUBLE Mike
HALL Adam
PARRISH Mark
WEIGHT Do

These are the 19 skaters who have played for US so far in the tourney.
Suter makes 20. 20 is the max.
If they are adding Parise, one of the above players must be injured. Parise might just be coming as insurance in case of an emergency (Canada has Jamie Heward around for the same reason). But Parise can not join the team unless somebody else is injured.
Am I right, or am I right?

It would seem Parise is along as insurance, although I wouldn't be surprised for him to see some action, especially if some injury issues linger (such as Modano's arm). It's also a possibility that since Parise's addition makes 12 forwards, that Suter is the one that sees spot duty.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
I always thought the teams had a 23 man roster and had until before the medal rounds to round out the team up to the 23 (allowing for late arrivals because of other league playoffs ending, etc.), but it is not clear to me whether they can go past the 23 due to injuries. I read something somwhere that after the round robin, teams can name replacements for injured players, but I have never found anything to confirm this.

Anybody have the official text of the roster rules?

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
I think the additions of Suter and Parise were excellent choices. Yes, they're young, but they'll be fixtures on Team USA for years and this is a good time to start.

I'd say that after yesterday's close call against Latvia, this team needs another injection of useful enthusiasm. They would've lost yesterday were it not for the heroics of Weight and Parrish. Some other players need to step up. I haven't heard a peep out of Mike York, and David Legwand hasn't lived up to his billing as the player some scouts thought should've been selected #1 over Vinny Lecavalier in the '97 draft.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
According to this Kevin Allen article, Kevyn Adams has been added to the US roster. I didn't know you were allowed to add another player at this stage in the tournament. I guess they could use his services, however, as Mark Parrish and Richard Park are a little banged up.

X0ssbar

CDeeps said:
According to this Kevin Allen article, Kevyn Adams has been added to the US roster. I didn't know you were allowed to add another player at this stage in the tournament. I guess they could use his services, however, as Mark Parrish and Richard Park are a little banged up.

Yeah, just saw that as well and wondered the same. I also read that Parrish and Park are gonna play tomorrow with their injuries so that really baffels me - is there someone else who is injured?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CDeeps said:

I wonder if the team might sit Parise?

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
I wonder if the team might sit Parise?

My understanding was Parise was one of the better forwards in the 1-1 tie against Ukraine. If anyone needs to sit, its Legwand and York, who haven't done a thing. Kevyn Adams is a good defensive forward, so maybe he was brought in to counter a potent Czech offense.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
CDeeps said:
My understanding was Parise was one of the better forwards in the 1-1 tie against Ukraine. If anyone needs to sit, its Legwand and York, who haven't done a thing. Kevyn Adams is a good defensive forward, so maybe he was brought in to counter a potent Czech offense.

from what i've read, legwand has been the best forward at everything but scoring goals. best backchecker, best faceoff guy, etc...

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
CDeeps said:
I think the additions of Suter and Parise were excellent choices. Yes, they're young, but they'll be fixtures on Team USA for years and this is a good time to start.

I'd say that after yesterday's close call against Latvia, this team needs another injection of useful enthusiasm. They would've lost yesterday were it not for the heroics of Weight and Parrish. Some other players need to step up. I haven't heard a peep out of Mike York, and David Legwand hasn't lived up to his billing as the player some scouts thought should've been selected #1 over Vinny Lecavalier in the '97 draft.
USA are certainly preparing for the days ahead so you are correct in saying Suter and Parise are fine adds. They had to move on from a very productive but now aging "brat pack"

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CDeeps said:

Agree on York, disagree on Legwand.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
article in Philly paper on Sunday with some comments from Waddell about future of USA Hockey roster.

"I don't know if we can say we have a dominant player who can step forward yet for USA Hockey," Waddell said in Innsbruck. "I think there are some we have projected for the future - right now, the Phil Kessels, the Zach Parises, the Ryan Suters.

"Our under-18 program is only seven years old now, and we are starting to see results," Waddell said. "That program is really going to pay dividends for USA Hockey now and into the future."

About the rest of the article, Panaccio has some facts wrong, but who knows it it was him or his editor - e.g., Gomez's injury.

Some of the names mentioned by Panaccio regarding the possible future of USA hockey surprise me. I like what I have seen from Chris Bourque so far, but there are names I would mention before his regarding the national team. Here is the comment about other possible younger players for the future - note, several other players are mentioned in the article, too, including Cole, Martin, Leopold, etc. :

"There also are forwards Yan Stastny, Chris Bourque and Mike Brown. They complement Scott Gomez, a 25-year-old center who was injured in the tournament, and Rick DiPietro, a young goalie who performed well."

Article Link

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sk84fun_dc said:
article in Philly paper on Sunday with some comments from Waddell about future of USA Hockey roster.

"I don't know if we can say we have a dominant player who can step forward yet for USA Hockey," Waddell said in Innsbruck. "I think there are some we have projected for the future - right now, the Phil Kessels, the Zach Parises, the Ryan Suters.

"Our under-18 program is only seven years old now, and we are starting to see results," Waddell said. "That program is really going to pay dividends for USA Hockey now and into the future."

About the rest of the article, Panaccio has some facts wrong, but who knows it it was him or his editor - e.g., Gomez's injury.

Some of the names mentioned by Panaccio regarding the possible future of USA hockey surprise me. I like what I have seen from Chris Bourque so far, but there are names I would mention before his regarding the national team. Here is the comment about other possible younger players for the future - note, several other players are mentioned in the article, too, including Cole, Martin, Leopold, etc. :

"There also are forwards Yan Stastny, Chris Bourque and Mike Brown. They complement Scott Gomez, a 25-year-old center who was injured in the tournament, and Rick DiPietro, a young goalie who performed well."

Article Link

Interesting read. It pretty much highlights the current state of USA Hockey: A murky present with a bright future. For the next few senior men's tournaments, the U.S. is as likely to finish out of the medals as on the podium. Fortunately, we have alot of character players and good goaltending, which along with some decent offensive talent, keep us afloat until the young guns are ready for action.

WC Handy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Interesting read. It pretty much highlights the current state of USA Hockey: A murky present with a bright future. For the next few senior men's tournaments, the U.S. is as likely to finish out of the medals as on the podium. Fortunately, we have alot of character players and good goaltending, which along with some decent offensive talent, keep us afloat until the young guns are ready for action.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. Had Waddell fielded fielded a team that he wanted to actually win the WC's, I think they would have done much better.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Good article, but I don't agree that we "stunned'' Canada in the Under-18 World Championship since we were the favorite going into the tourney.

Anymore, glad to see something being written about USA Hockey since it rarely receives any publicity in this country. I am definitly excited about the future. Here are some other young American players the writer didn't mention:

Forwards:

Patrick Eaves - Boston College (NCAA)
Drew Stafford - North Dakota (NCAA)
Dan Fritche - London (OHL)
Robbie Schremp - London (OHL)
Patrick O'Sullivan - Mississagua (OHL)
Ryan Kesler - Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Bobby Ryan - Owen Sound (OHL)

Defense:

Mark Stuart - Colorado College (NCAA)
Ron Hainsey - Hamilton (AHL)
Mike Komisarek - Hamilton (AHL)
Matt Lashoff - Kitchner (OHL)

Goal:

Al Montoya - Michigan (NCAA)
Jeff Frazee - US NTDP (Minnesota bound)

Schremp, Fritche, and the lesser-known Drew Larman form a fantastic All-American line for the dominant London Knights. Big game for them tonight against Sidney Crosby's Rimouski Oceanic in the CHL's Memorial Cup.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
WC Handy said:
I don't know if that's necessarily true. Had Waddell fielded fielded a team that he wanted to actually win the WC's, I think they would have done much better.

Maybe, although that would have hinged on guys like Tkachuk getting into game shape ASAP, and I don't know if that was possible. The U.S. basically had one bad period against the Czechs, and I feel that was due more to poor coaching/execution than the make-up of the team.

Last edited:

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Rabid Husky said:
He's also forgetting a couple good scoring forwards in Arnason and Malone

Well Malone suffered a broken jaw in the Finnish League, which is a shame because he would've been a lock for Team USA. At least he's a fixture in their future plans.

I know Arnason has dual-citizenship, but I don't think he even considers himself American. He grew up in Winnipeg.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
CDeeps said:
Well Malone suffered a broken jaw in the Finnish League, which is a shame because he would've been a lock for Team USA. At least he's a fixture in their future plans.

I know Arnason has dual-citizenship, but I don't think he even considers himself American. He grew up in Winnipeg.

Not sure on Arnason, although he did play on the PlanetUSA side in the AHL All-Star game a couple of years ago. Whether that means anything I don't know.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Here is an excerpt I pasted from the Boston Globe website:

Hockey seedings set

Whether the US men's team had won gold or finished last at the recent World Hockey Championships, it would have had no bearing on its seeding or schedule for the Olympics. That was determined by last year's rankings (based on the previous four World Championships and the 2002 Games), which threw the sixth-seeded Americans into the same group with Sweden, Slovakia, and Russia plus qualifiers Latvia and Kazakhstan. Even though they lost their global title to the Czech Republic (which won for the fifth time since 1996), the Canadians are top-seeded for Turin, where they'll meet the Czechs, Finns, Germans, Italians, and Swiss. Top four in each group advance to the quarterfinals. Men's hockey, by the way, is the sport most requested by Turin ticket-seekers. The gold-medal match (at a 350-euro top) and the US-Russia meeting are already sold out .

Talk about anticipation, huh? I'm surprised the US-Russia game is already sold out, considering there's no guarantee NHL players will be permitted to play. That's certainly encouraging. I wonder what percentage of the ticket buyers for that game are American?

starsgal09

May 1, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Maybe, although that would have hinged on guys like Tkachuk getting into game shape ASAP, and I don't know if that was possible. The U.S. basically had one bad period against the Czechs, and I feel that was due more to poor coaching/execution than the make-up of the team.

Upchuck has gained more weight than Hull has, and that's saying something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad